Facebook   Twitter    YouTube    RSS Feed    Android App    iPhone and iPad App     BlackBerry App    
Subscribe to Newsletter

Thread: IT On Site Contractor

Default IT On Site Contractor

Hi there

I just heard from one of the managers in the company that they want to take all my leave days and turn me into a contractor. I need your guys thoughts on this please.

But there is a catch they want to see if it is going to be cheaper to keep me or to get an outsourced company guy to be based here.

is there any pros and cons and also what is the rough cost to get an sla agreement with an outsourced guy?

The only reason why a company could do that is a) its gonna be cheaper for them. No work no Pay, so if you go on leave you don't get paid. b) When the excrement strikes the fan, its the contractors that go first.
    "Incompetent individuals fail to recognize genuine skill in others."

yeah true that but when I do get called into a meeting must I see what the other companies quoted and should I just be a little less than them and do I charge per KM for a call out? or how should I do it? How should I approach this when I get called into a meeting? just want to be prepared for all of this so that I know how I should approach it when he calls me up. I just see it as a good opportunity for me to get other private work in

it is actually stressing me out big time now cos they are not speaking or letting me know of what is going on

Most IT companies charge R400 - R450 per hour for this kind of thing (price will probably drop slightly due to the pure number of hours you will be working). Per km charge, not sure of that - depends on region e.g. JHB has tolls - CPT doesn't...

J

Quote Originally Posted by labratza View Post
    yeah true that but when I do get called into a meeting must I see what the other companies quoted and should I just be a little less than them and do I charge per KM for a call out? or how should I do it? How should I approach this when I get called into a meeting? just want to be prepared for all of this so that I know how I should approach it when he calls me up. I just see it as a good opportunity for me to get other private work in

You should come in a lot cheaper then IT outsourcing. An client based IT person with average skill can cost anything up to R50 000 a month.

This is an awesome opportunity for you to start your own company.

Dont go in cheaper. They cant fire you anyway.

Go in at a rate comparable to your level of seniority. Minimum R400 per hour. Forget the petrol charges if you are just commuting to work and back. If visiting client sites, work something out.

They want to have their cake and eat it. Remember, if it works out cheaper for them, it means they will be paying you LESS. Do you want a pay cut? If not, do your sums and make sure your average monthly income will be higher than it is now. Rate * 8 hours per day * 20 days per month. Work it out and see what it is.

Quote Originally Posted by Ancalagon View Post
    Dont go in cheaper. They cant fire you anyway.

Go in at a rate comparable to your level of seniority. Minimum R400 per hour. Forget the petrol charges if you are just commuting to work and back. If visiting client sites, work something out.

They want to have their cake and eat it. Remember, if it works out cheaper for them, it means they will be paying you LESS. Do you want a pay cut? If not, do your sums and make sure your average monthly income will be higher than it is now. Rate * 8 hours per day * 20 days per month. Work it out and see what it is.

thanks for the info. well I actually can get alot of private work it will be a bonus for me in a way. then can concentrate on my company. and I currently work for a decent sized retail chain store but also gives me the oppertunity of spreading my wings

Then maybe it is better.

Maybe go in with a more conciliatory tone than I suggested. They might limit your hours per month as a way to save money. Perhaps I was being harsh on them - they might really be struggling and want to cut down.