Facebook   Twitter    YouTube    RSS Feed    Android App    iPhone and iPad App     BlackBerry App    
Subscribe to Newsletter

Thread: Chinese food supermarket in Cape Town

Default Chinese food supermarket in Cape Town

Hi there,
    looking for a chinese food shop. Main criterias are - best prices for noodles, tea and other stuff. Otherwise, any idea where to buy at wholesale prices?
    There used to be one in N1 City, just under Hi-Fi Corp, but now they built china town with all the clothing and other ***** that no one buys.

There is one in Claremont, on Grove Avenue opposite the Absa bank. Its a bit hidden but i have bought stuff from there before, they have a good variety - you could try that one. Cant remember the name though
    They Say Anythings Possible, You Gotta Dream Like You Never Seen Obstacles

Yes, thats a great shop.

Got some really nice stuff from there, good prices.
    "What can be asserted without proof can be dismissed without proof." ~ Christopher Hitchens

My idea of "Help from above" is a sniper on a roof.

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Yoda View Post
    Hi there,
    looking for a chinese food shop. Main criterias are - best prices for noodles, tea and other stuff. Otherwise, any idea where to buy at wholesale prices?
    There used to be one in N1 City, just under Hi-Fi Corp, but now they built china town with all the clothing and other ***** that no one buys.
    there is still the one by hifi corp ...i went like 2 weeks ago and saw theres a huge supermarket in the middle next to tekkie town IIRC and in china town in ottery there is a supermarket there
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Lowrey
    We're on the internet to troll not to make bonds.

The chinese food shop has just moved upstairs - into the old Shoe City Shop (right in front of you as you approach from the kentucky circle) I think they have a red sign. Huge shop - everything from fresh to frozen, from food to handbags.

Super Grandmaster

What about the places at Sable squarE?

Thank you for all the answers!
    The one onr Grove Ave. - is it on on the lower part (closer to main Rd)? Is it visible from the road or is it somewhere around the corner etc? Its just that I know that area generally, but not Grove Ave. in particular. Is it in the same building where chinese massage center is?

Quote Originally Posted by xrapidx View Post
    What about the places at Sable squarE?
    Its mostly other stuff, afaik, ther is only one food shop in there, not very great, imo.

Quote Originally Posted by samr1wp View Post
    there is still the one by hifi corp ...i went like 2 weeks ago and saw theres a huge supermarket in the middle next to tekkie town IIRC and in china town in ottery there is a supermarket there
    This .. WRT N1 city

also:
    Across the N1 from N1 city, is another Chinese food market,
    If you come off the N1 from C.T. instead of turning right over the bridge to N1 City, turn left and about 100m down is a slip road turn right there and the Chinese Market with a few baked goodies is on the corner.
    If you miss the slip road carry on to the Traffic Lights, go through the traffic lights and continue up Monte Vista Boulavard to the next traffic lights , go through those and there is a traffic circle. just before the traffic circle there are a few shops on the right, a butcher, a video shop and you will also find another Chinese food Market there.
    The couple who run this shop are quite fluent in english, and i have always received good advice regarding the different products.
    Abandon the search for Truth; settle for a good fantasy.

Hi All, Thank you very much for all the answers! Going to check out that claremont store today, will report back later on.

Quote Originally Posted by Nanfeishen View Post
    This .. WRT N1 city

also:
    Across the N1 from N1 city, is another Chinese food market,
    If you come off the N1 from C.T. instead of turning right over the bridge to N1 City, turn left and about 100m down is a slip road turn right there and the Chinese Market with a few baked goodies is on the corner.
    If you miss the slip road carry on to the Traffic Lights, go through the traffic lights and continue up Monte Vista Boulavard to the next traffic lights , go through those and there is a traffic circle. just before the traffic circle there are a few shops on the right, a butcher, a video shop and you will also find another Chinese food Market there.
    The couple who run this shop are quite fluent in english, and i have always received good advice regarding the different products.
    Is this the one which is next to fruit&veg monte vista? nice little shop, serves me as a backup shop sometimes. Also, when I'm in that area, I visit Fish4Africa, good place to buy fish IMO, and they give you a fresh lemon

Taste of Asia is/was on Gabriel Road in Plumstead. The website doesn't seem to be up at the moment, but I've been there before.
    WYGIWYGAINGW

Quote Originally Posted by DJ Yoda View Post
    and they give you a fresh lemon
    I've found that most fishmongers do
    WYGIWYGAINGW

Yes, thats a great shop.Got some really nice stuff from there, good prices. I will give you another idea where you can find all type of chinese food at good prices. You can go to www.1800-shop.com and order any type of chinese or other asian food items.