Facebook   Twitter    YouTube    RSS Feed    Android App    iPhone and iPad App     BlackBerry App    
Subscribe to Newsletter

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 123 4567 LastLast

Thread: We have a "Spineless" government!

Blog Entries

Sorry, while I would love to see these guys freed, I think paying the ransom to the terrorists is only going to make the situation worse and encourages more hostage taking.

There is no way they will ever be able to raise the money needed anyway, then what happens to all the "donations"?

Quote Originally Posted by StonerStuart View Post
    Then it seems south africa is helpless when it comes to terrorism... maybe we should speak to some other country. just immagine how it would be if our country is taken over by the chinese military? we would be ****ed! we have nothing to protect us. we would really have to rely on the UN or some other military coming in to protect us.

i just use the chinese as an example because they are many... and they are pretty hardcore!
    Wow...

you've gone from wanting to rescue two random people held hostage in war torn Somalia to trying to run a thought-experiment on what would happen if SA was invaded because we can't "rescue" 2 random people.......

Quote Originally Posted by B.O.F.H. View Post
    Random criticism of the site.. SOS does NOT mean Save Our Souls.. it means Save Our Ship.
    No. If you are going to criticize at least make sure you have your facts straight.

Quote Originally Posted by KalMaverick View Post
    No. If you are going to criticize at least make sure you have your facts straight.
    Actually you are correct and I am wrong.. I apologise..

SOS doesn't stand for anything officially.. its just easy and recognisable to transmit in Morse Code....
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SOS

Grandmaster

Quote Originally Posted by Korn1 View Post
    We could send in the special task force ?
    No we couldn't... They competent ones are all OLD now, we cant ask them to do that. what we really need is a division in our military specifically built and trained for this exact purpose. Just like the way the Special task force was trained back in the day.

Grandmaster

Wow...

you've gone from wanting to rescue two random people held hostage in war torn Somalia to trying to run a thought-experiment on what would happen if SA was invaded because we can't "rescue" 2 random people.......
    Read the username!

Actually you are correct and I am wrong.. I apologise..

SOS doesn't stand for anything officially.. its just easy and recognisable to transmit in Morse Code....
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SOS
    I thought it stood for Save Our Souls, so I too was actually wrong, only once I looked it up did I see it doesn't really stand for anything.

As for the two hostages. Unfortunately this is basically supply and demand, if you keep giving the terrorists money they will keep ransoming hostages. If the government negotiates for one hostage then they must negotiate for all future hostages, in which case we've just created a endless supply of money for the terrorists.

It would be nice to see some sort of South African task force or maybe some sort of joint international task force actually take these people on.

No we couldn't... They competent ones are all OLD now, we cant ask them to do that. what we really need is a division in our military specifically built and trained for this exact purpose. Just like the way the Special task force was trained back in the day.
    You mean the South African Special Forces Brigade... which is basically the old Recces?

Oh, and their selection and traning methods are still roughly what they were 10/15/20 years ago...

Quote Originally Posted by KalMaverick View Post
    I thought it stood for Save Our Souls, so I too was actually wrong, only once I looked it up did I see it doesn't really stand for anything.

As for the two hostages. Unfortunately this is basically supply and demand, if you keep giving the terrorists money they will keep ransoming hostages. If the government negotiates for one hostage then they must negotiate for all future hostages, in which case we've just created a endless supply of money for the terrorists.

It would be nice to see some sort of South African task force or maybe some sort of joint international task force actually take these people on.
    I've always know it to stand for Save Our Ship.. but then I have mariners in my family so that would explain the difference maybe

I completely agree, it would be nice to save these people.. but we can't pay for them, its a slippery slope we DON'T want to get onto.
    As for a military intervention to get them out... I think unfortunately that South Africa would have to play a backseat role in anything like that purely to minimise political fallout that would come from it since we're on the same continent.

I've seen the Special Task Force in action. They are still amazing. A most are young, not old.
    However, since people are sprouting bull***t here, people need to get their facts straight. The STF is a police unit. They are forbidden by the Constitution from acting outside our borders.

So why has their name even been brought up?

You mean the South African Special Forces Brigade... which is basically the old Recces?

Oh, and their selection and traning methods are still roughly what they were 10/15/20 years ago...
    The South African Special Forces Brigade is still awesome
    But sending them into another country would be an act of war (Sure, a war we would win. But do we want to declare war over 2 people?)

Quote Originally Posted by JStrike View Post
    I've seen the Special Task Force in action. They are still amazing. A most are young, not old.
    However, since people are sprouting bull***t here, people need to get their facts straight. The STF is a police unit. They are forbidden by the Constitution from acting outside our borders.

Agree.... I've seen the STF in action.... blew my mind to see the precision and accuracy these boys have...

All of them in a helicopter over a residential area in the Durban area, circling a house.... random gunfire came up from the house, 4 of the buggers in the helicopter dropped ropes and went to the ground... random gunfire increased quite substantially (at the helicopter and obviously at the guys on the ground).... all we heard was 5 double taps in VERY quick succession and silence.

The South African Special Forces Brigade is still awesome
    But sending them into another country would be an act of war (Sure, a war we would win. But do we want to declare war over 2 people?)
    This I know... this is kind of why I'm sitting here going at people suggesting we send in the military etc over 2 random peopel.

Grandmaster

Where exactly have you seen them in action? Did you actually stop to ask them if they were that division or did you just assume they were?

Since we are getting facts straight, come on lay your facts down...
    Last edited by StonerStuart; 15-02-2012 at 09:56 AM. Reason: spelling

Quote Originally Posted by Garyvdh View Post
    Sorry, while I would love to see these guys freed, I think paying the ransom to the terrorists is only going to make the situation worse and encourages more hostage taking.

There is no way they will ever be able to raise the money needed anyway, then what happens to all the "donations"?
    If this were your family, would you be saying the same?

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 123 4567 LastLast