Facebook   Twitter    YouTube    RSS Feed    Android App    iPhone and iPad App     BlackBerry App    
Subscribe to Newsletter

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: FNB replacing credit cards due to fraud?

Grandmaster

Unhappy FNB replacing credit cards due to fraud?

Just got a call from someone at FNB saying that they want to replace my CC due to increase in fraud. Note, the fraud has not been on my card, this is apparently a general thing they are doing and trying to be proactive.
    While I am all for being proactive, the lady could not tell me what sort of fraud they are trying to prevent, why I have not seen any media releases about this fraud and how this new card will be better at protecting me, as opposed to my current card.

Even with this, I was willing to take the new card as it was no cost to me, but then she said that my card will be cancelled immediately and I have to do without a CC for up to 5 days. That is just not acceptable!!

I told them to send me the details about this fraud and why I need a new card in the mean time!!

Anyone else get a call like this??

How different, will have a pin now?

What kind of credit card do you have? Is it chipped?

If it is, then I don't get what the issue is. All banks have been phasing out the old mag-tape cards for years now.

Ignore it. Tell them they can replace the card when it's up for renewal. It's probably a half-truth she's trying to see you a different type of credit card or whatever and make commission.

SmoothOokerMaximus The_Librarian's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Can also be a scammer...
    Christ-mass is NOT for Christians. Jeremiah 10.
    Is the 10 Commandments for Christians?

Saturday is the Seventh day, Sunday is the first day.

Blog Entries

Yea, sounds dodgy to me.
    I am 13531

"Balance is the key to everything, without it we would just keep falling over."

Also sounds very dodgy...
    Way to many scammers out there.
    Go to the branch and have them check it out. Should be on their systems.
    But most importantly, don't give any information on the card. Especially the numbers on the back.

Grandmaster

She did seem like a legit rep from FNB as she had my details,etc. ... but even then, I never give out details
    She was meant to send me details in an email .. still waiting!!

@Lycanthrope, I did not have a prob with getting a new card, the prob I had was with having to stay up to 5 days without a CC. The inconvenience just does not sound right to me!! ... and btw, I do not have a chip card, refused to take that, but that is another story

Quote Originally Posted by lucifir View Post
    @Lycanthrope, I did not have a prob with getting a new card, the prob I had was with having to stay up to 5 days without a CC. The inconvenience just does not sound right to me!! ... and btw, I do not have a chip card, refused to take that, but that is another story
    Our current chip cards are also mag-taped, for whatever reason. The mag-tape part will be phased out by 2015, last I heard, so I don't really see the point in clinging to old tech. Many foreign countries have already made that move.

They're more difficult to clone, so they can't just be skimmed at restaurants, stores, etc. Although it's an important policy to never let your cards out of your sight one way or the other.

You'll probably only have to cancel your card if you're going to replace it for free. If you're willing to pay for an additional card to be issued, you can order another online and just fetch it at the bank or have it couriered to you and then close your current card at your leisure.

Don't you have a cheque card? It can also be used online, you can still transfer funds between your credit account and your cheque account should the need arise and your new card is likely to be issued before five days are up.

Just thinking out loud

Blog Entries

She did seem like a legit rep from FNB as she had my details,etc. ... but even then, I never give out details
    She was meant to send me details in an email .. still waiting!!

ok I'll take the bait.. Why did you refuse the chip card?
    I am 13531

"Balance is the key to everything, without it we would just keep falling over."

Quote Originally Posted by Madman88 View Post
    I'm betting the answer involves tinfoil hats ;-)

Just got a call from someone at FNB saying that they want to replace my CC due to increase in fraud. Note, the fraud has not been on my card, this is apparently a general thing they are doing and trying to be proactive.
    While I am all for being proactive, the lady could not tell me what sort of fraud they are trying to prevent, why I have not seen any media releases about this fraud and how this new card will be better at protecting me, as opposed to my current card.

Even with this, I was willing to take the new card as it was no cost to me, but then she said that my card will be cancelled immediately and I have to do without a CC for up to 5 days. That is just not acceptable!!

I told them to send me the details about this fraud and why I need a new card in the mean time!!

I got a call in december but that was cos my cc was expiring. She gave me all the details and I verified it with her. She gave me the new card number over the phone after asking about other services like petro-card. She told me not to use the old card for few days, simply because the balances were gonna be transferred to the new card and by me transacting with my new card, it would just make the changeover more difficult. She verified that I was getting ebucks and that it was a chip card, she didn't mention anything about fraud.

I received my card soon after, went in to the local bank to collect it.

Could be a scammer trying to get hold of your ID & other such details....

Don't give them anything, don't agree to anyting & if you really want to know go into a branch & ask....
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Librarian View Post
    Can see it in my mind's eye:Chilligirl's Compoota Factorie - Alle Compoota's Repaired Or Fixxited at Bargain Prices Notte to be Sneezed atte

Super Grandmaster

Quote Originally Posted by Madman88 View Post
    I didn't want one either (from ABSA) - a lot of machines were rejecting them initially - it was damn annoying, e.g. have meal at restaurant, time to pay, and your card doesn't work.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast