Facebook   Twitter    YouTube    RSS Feed    Android App    iPhone and iPad App     BlackBerry App    
Subscribe to Newsletter

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast

Thread: Western Cape to get Broadband boost

Quote Originally Posted by ajules View Post
    Very clever.If people are connected they become more informed and make better choices ala voting
    Maybe that is the reason SA's high internet cost - thanks to gov aka telkom

Will Telkom be involved in any way?
    What is HZ's definition of broadband?

Very good prospect anyway. I sure hope they can pull it off.
    Quote Originally Posted by Garyvdh View Post
    No, I'm actually looking at changing my ADSL carrier. Oh wait...

Can we please have the name of the person who will resign if it is a flop?
    Quote Originally Posted by Garyvdh View Post
    No, I'm actually looking at changing my ADSL carrier. Oh wait...

Quote Originally Posted by Skerminkel View Post

I'm sure they, as well as many other private entities, would be involved
    100Mbs

Ha ha welcome to the republic of cape town

Even if it is 512 kbps or 1mb running to the home.Doesnt even have to be uncapped. A 20 gig cap should be sufficient for most.
    I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered - George Best

Can we please have the name of the person who will resign if it is a flop?
    i concur.
    The causes of human actions are usually immeasurably more complex and varied than our subsequent explanations of them. Fyodor Dostoevsky - The Idiot

Please come to East London too, we need that, we got old ass copper cable adsl infastructure

Quote Originally Posted by JStrike View Post
    Excellent news.

The rest of the State of the Province Address had some brilliant plans in the them, albeit not related to broadband
    I didn't see it, link to the details please..?

Quote Originally Posted by Quey_Quick View Post
    Even if it is 512 kbps or 1mb running to the home.Doesnt even have to be uncapped. A 20 gig cap should be sufficient for most.
    Don't say that, are you mad??? That will not be sufficient in 2020 I am sure. You are too used to believing Telkom spin. 8 yrs ago I might have said 384kbps was more than enough and why would I want more than 2GBs, there is no way I would be OK with that now. Remember HD TV (not just entertainment, but education and news too) and so forth will use way more bandwidth. By then web3.0 will be running and imagine what that will require!
    Attention City of Joburg and its employees, you do not have permission to view this webpage, you will be charged for your malicious hacking crimes

Quote Originally Posted by Bern View Post
    Don't say that, are you mad??? That will not be sufficient in 2020 I am sure. You are too used to believing Telkom spin. 8 yrs ago I might have said 384kbps was more than enough and why would I want more than 2GBs, there is no way I would be OK with that now. Remember HD TV (not just entertainment, but education and news too) and so forth will use way more bandwidth. By then web3.0 will be running and imagine what that will require!
    But Bern you missing my point. This is not meant to be for HD content. Normal browsing would be fine.
    I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered - George Best

Blog Entries

Oi oi! Those of you wanting to move down here - hold up - just leave Slaapstad as it is mkay
    Financial Advisor with Old Mutual.
    PM a Brother for Financial Wealth, Funeral and Life Cover.

I didn't see it, link to the details please..?

the full speech will probably be up on the WC Gov site later today, but here's a *very* brief synopsis on news24 - http://www.fin24.com/Economy/W-Cape-...c-hub-20120217 and http://www.news24.com/SouthAfrica/Po...cture-20120217

Quote Originally Posted by Quey_Quick View Post
    But Bern you missing my point. This is not meant to be for HD content. Normal browsing would be fine.
    My point is that in 8 years time "normal browsing" will most likely include HD video or similar high bandwidth content. Look at the sort of bandwidth users in the States and Europe use, that will be what we use in years to come. To be a useful resource you want content that comes across in the easiest form possible, Youtube training/education videos, VoD will do that better than a test explanation could, so a crappy slow link with limited caps is short-sighted.

Remember we are talking a target for 8 years in to the future, 1Mbps is already behind most minimum international standards! Think about it this way, if you could have 1 very good teacher via Skype to 100 people it would be a lot cheaper than trying to get 100 people to that teacher in that location for that hour. See http://www.khanacademy.org/ to get an idea of what I am talking about.

Quote Originally Posted by JStrike View Post
    the full speech will probably be up on the WC Gov site later today, but here's a *very* brief synopsis on news24 - http://www.fin24.com/Economy/W-Cape-...c-hub-20120217 and http://www.news24.com/SouthAfrica/Po...cture-20120217
    Cool, thanks!
    Attention City of Joburg and its employees, you do not have permission to view this webpage, you will be charged for your malicious hacking crimes

See http://www.khanacademy.org/ to get an idea of what I am talking about.
    +100000000000000000000000

I think it is easy to be pessimistic and dubious about this being pulled off. Having said that, I really do hope it happens.
    i7 980X 3.33GHz @ 4GHz, Rampage III Gene, Noctua NH-D14, Corsair 12GB DDR3-1600, Asus GTX670 4GB, Corsair 80GB & 240GB SSD, Dual 27" IPS7, W7 64bit.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast