Facebook   Twitter    YouTube    RSS Feed    Android App    iPhone and iPad App     BlackBerry App    
Subscribe to Newsletter

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 8ta service = a joke. Be warned

8ta is useless, I got a message from the social team 2 weeks ago saying that the technical team will personally be overseeing my issue, and guess what nothing has been done.

Not sending another email, or pm, or forum post, because each one is just being forwarded to the next person, and absolutely nothing is being done. Seriously regret getting 8ta.

Grandmaster

My son is studying at Tuks and staying in Hatfield close to the LC de Villiers stadium. I got him a 8ta sim and he has been using it for about 2 months now and he is complaining all the time about the signal. Apparently he only gets Edge most of the time and it is very seldom that he gets 3g. When we activated the sim for the 8ta promo we were advised that there is a very good 3g signal.

It seems that customers are always told that the signal is good and then it is actually useless. I tested my Vodacom and Mtn sim cards there and it is way better than the 8ta one.

"To accomplish great things, we must not only act, but also dream; not only plan, but also believe!" - Anatole France

Not sending another email, or pm, or forum post, because each one is just being forwarded to the next person, and absolutely nothing is being done. Seriously regret getting 8ta.
    When you send Email with "MyBroadband user sTrideR|JP" in the subject line (as requested by 8ta), it will be forwarded directly to MyBB 8ta team.

Apparently he only gets Edge most of the time and it is very seldom that he gets 3g. When we activated the sim for the 8ta promo we were advised that there is a very good 3g signal.
    Not neccessary signal is poor. If you force 3G only on the modem and modem disconnects, then it could be. Usually it stays connected and works faster.

Quote Originally Posted by sajunky View Post
    When you send Email with "MyBroadband user sTrideR|JP" in the subject line (as requested by 8ta), it will be forwarded directly to MyBB 8ta team.
    I have several times, and had a tech come to my home.

Now we know you wrote rubbish, as your Emails are getting through....

Quote Originally Posted by mellowred View Post
    8ta's cell phone service is no better - i.m.o. 8ta is useless.

They continually threaten to disconnect my phone (even though it is paid). They did disconnect it in February (debit order payments went through the bank - and was 100% up to date). It took almost 2 weeks to get my phone reconnected, but they billed me for the full month.

I have spent in excess of 12 hours on the phone and have sent 40 emails and am still waiting for some response.

The CPA are no better; sent them an email with all correspondence attached. After waiting a week for a reply, I phoned their "help-line". The woman that answered the phone told me they do not deal with billing enquires. I explained that my problem was the lack of feedback and related to 8ta' service and not billing. After 5 minutes of trying to get through to her I realised I was fighting a loosing battle and gave up. Two weeks later I received and e-mail from CPA requesting that I confirm that I live in the WC. This was two months ago - have heard nothing since.
    Hi mellowred!

Would it be possible for you to PM or email along with this post and your 8ta, contact and ID numbers so we can follow this up for you? Also can you provide the number you called the call centre from so we can trace the call and take corrective action?

Regards,
    Social Media Team

Quote Originally Posted by DragonLogos View Post
    NEVER EVER, EVER trust or have anything to do with Telkom - networks overloaded... LOL They just love cutting your downloads off, its been the way they do business for a long time, then they wonder... were has everyone gone - Get a download manager for what you can and then when whatever deal you have with them is up move away, and be sure to tell everyone you know what happened so they do not make the same mistake - reminds me of the time years ago when someone said, hey you should look in the phone book and phone the Telkom customer care line (one of their techs had jumped over the wall and was stealing avos, which resulted in the song over the wall we go) - anyway a look in the phone book did not reveal a number for the Telkom Care line, and my way of thinking was perhaps (just perhaps...lol) they do not care

leave Telkom alone, they are like the Scorpion and the toad
    Hi DragonLogos

Is there any way we can try to asssit? Please let us know. Telkom's customer care number is 10210.

Regards,
    Social Media Team

Grandmaster

It really seems to depend on where you go I suppose - and also where you are based. I do not know how it works all the time, but Cresta, where I went, seems pretty efficient.

How does Ping work exactly? Our Vodacom, which is like 500m away from us, gives pings of 120ms average, while 8ta, which tower apparently is 3-4km away, gives a 90ms ping, on average, and a stronger signal than Vodacom.

How can 8ta be so much more efficient? I always thought Vodacom's quality of service would never be close to as useless as anything associated with Telkom. Was I wrong to assume this?

Anyway, impressed (SO FAR, touch wood) with 8ta.

Quote Originally Posted by Ho3n3r View Post
    How does Ping work exactly? Our Vodacom, which is like 500m away from us, gives pings of 120ms average, while 8ta, which tower apparently is 3-4km away, gives a 90ms ping, on average, and a stronger signal than Vodacom.
    Electromagnetic waves travel close to light speed. What adds 4km to the ping time? Do the math.

What makes difference is buffering on network devices (including yours).

Grandmaster

Quote Originally Posted by sajunky View Post
    Electromagnetic waves travel close to light speed. What adds 4km to the ping time? Do the math.

What makes difference is buffering on network devices (including yours).
    Oh, didn't know that, thanks but I was wondering why a signal travelling 500m travels 120ms, give or take, while a wave travelling 4km takes 90ms? Can that be attributed to network buffering, and can 8ta's really be that much better than VodaCom's?

Ping tells very little about connection quality, as uses different frame type. These packets can be prioritised on your path by routers. To have better view how your TCP/iP connection works you need ping utility which uses IP frame type. I think it is called tcpping on Linux platform.

I give up, a new tower was installed in my area more or less three weeks ago and for a couple days my speeds were better, ranging from 1Mbps to 4Mbps, once I even got just over 6Mbps but now it seems to be back to normal with speeds well below 1Mbp.

Last edited by riGerMorTis; 14-05-2012 at 08:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by riGerMorTis View Post
    I give up, a new tower was installed in my area more or less three weeks ago and for a couple days my speeds were better, ranging from 1Mbps to 4Mbps, once I even got just over 6Mbps but now it seems to be back to normal with speeds well below 1Mbp.

Hi riGerMorTis!

We are in contact with the engineers who erected the tower which was supposed to resolve your issue and they are addressing it accordingly. We hope to have a response by tomorrow.

Regards,
    Social Media Team

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123