Facebook   Twitter    YouTube    RSS Feed    Android App    iPhone and iPad App     BlackBerry App    
Subscribe to Newsletter

Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast

Thread: Best ADSL option for R500-R600

Default Best ADSL option for R500-R600

Hi

I`m in the market for ADSL, but I don't want to spend more than the price mentioned in the title (incl. telephone line rental). I`m not a heavy downloader. I had the Telkom 3 month free trial and I averaged about 20gb per month. The options I`m looking at are Telkom Uncapped Basic which will cost me R529 pm with a Closer 1 package, and the Cybersmart 10gb Nightrider which will effectively give me 50gb to download on a 1mb line at R530pm, also with Closer 1. The latter seems to be the best option, however I don't like the idea of having my line with Cybersmart.

I would appreciate some views on the abovementioned options, as well as some new ideas perhaps
    Last edited by EtTA; 19-02-2012 at 01:36 PM. Reason: clarity

WebAfrica. R489.

Quote Originally Posted by Khanya View Post
    WebAfrica. R489.
    ... + R158 = R647

No. That price is data and line rental inclusive.

The telephone line rental is always mandatory at R140.

No. That price is data and line rental inclusive.

The telephone line rental is always mandatory at R140.
    Well when I said I want to pay R500-R600 I meant it needs to include telephone line rental

Well it'll exceed R600 with Telkom and Cybersmart too then.

Besides, can't you sacrifice a big burger at R47?

But just stick with Telkom though, should get decent ADSL, and avoid Cybersmart support hassles, line issues and WebAfrica's obscure FUP.

Well it'll exceed R600 with Telkom and Cybersmart too then.

Besides, can't you sacrifice a big burger at R47?

But just stick with Telkom though, should get decent ADSL, and avoid Cybersmart support hassles, line issues and WebAfrica's obscure FUP.
    No it won't. Telkom's uncapped goes for R529 (R152 + 158 + R219). Bare in mind that's for the Basic 384Kb line though. Cybersmart's 10gb package goes for R372 including ADSL line and data.

Quote Originally Posted by EtTA View Post
    No it won't. Telkom's uncapped goes for R529 (R152 + 158 + R219). Bare in mind that's for the Basic 384Kb line though. Cybersmart's 10gb package goes for R372 including ADSL line and data.
    Sheesh. No wonder. Do we still get blokes endeavoring for 384Kbps in this day and age?
    I'm on about 1Mbps. So just spend R29 (R629) extra (R489 inclusive 1Mbps uncapped + R140 telephone line) with WebAfrica and thank me later.

Sheesh. No wonder. Do we still get blokes endeavoring for 384Kbps in this day and age?
    I'm on about 1Mbps. So just spend R29 (R629) extra (R489 inclusive 1Mbps uncapped + R140 telephone line) with WebAfrica and thank me later.
    Lol, yes, me :P It's perfect for browsing, gaming and the odd download or two. And given the prices of capped internet it makes sense to go uncapped rather. The WA deal does seem good though. Is that the deal you have? If yes, I`m assuming your line is with WA too and you have/had no problems? Also, if I do apply for the deal, do I just need a Telkom telephone line and then WA will apply for the DSL line on my behalf? Sorry for all the questions, I`m a bit of an Internet noob

No. I'm not a DSL user.
    Other forumites will be able to assist you.

So long. You apply for a Telkom line, if they do their job they will take 2 weeks, if you have your telephone, apply for the DSL line to be installed, and opt for free installation or pay R1000.

Yes your line has to be with WA, that's the only way to benefit from the price, and then pay Telkom the phone line rental. R629 total.
    Last edited by Slab; 19-02-2012 at 03:48 PM.

Doesn't web africa throttle you when you get to a certain limit?

Search for the thread and indulge.

Quote Originally Posted by Cryax View Post
    Doesn't web africa throttle you when you get to a certain limit?
    Yes, apparently so, and heavily if I might add. There are numerous complaints on Mybroadband forums as well as Hellopeter.com about their throttling.

@Khanya - I`m not sure if I should completely trust advice from someone who does not even use ADSL No offense lol. I`d rather have an excellent 384kb line than a half working 1mb line with bad service at that

Your best option is a 1meg/s line and uncapped account , spend a little extra and get mweb .
    I tried other ISP's but if you want a good general experiance mweb is the only one that doesnt throttle.

It's not my main connection, but I use it extensively after school, and at a friends. But primarily I use mobile networks.

Same difference, you can do 40GB at a pain in the @ss speeds with your 384Kbps line, not to mention Youtube, Skype etc, but you can do 80GB much faster, and get throttled perhaps to half line speed, still isn't bad. I'm sure though you'd be able to do 150GB (100GB shy of what one is suppose to do with a 1Mbps without trying).
    Last edited by Slab; 19-02-2012 at 07:51 PM.

Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast