Facebook   Twitter    YouTube    RSS Feed    Android App    iPhone and iPad App     BlackBerry App    
Subscribe to Newsletter

Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast

Thread: Pet complaints in estates

Default Pet complaints in estates

The long story is here, and the short one is, that a resident in our estate alleges (has no proof of the act) that our neutered cat visits her house (she also has two cats) nightly (he is locked up at night) to spray on all her expensive furniture and electronics.

I was hoping to deal with reasonable people (offered repellents, installation of cat-flaps etc at our cost) and finally decided that it might be better to contain our cat by wanting to erect an electric fence on top of our boundary wall - which the Home Owners Association now declined as it violates the "Architectural Rules & Regulations".

As a logical person I am failing to see the rationale: An issue has been reported and although there is no conclusive proof, I tried to rectify the situation without much success. Re-homing our cat (due to it's history) is going to impossible which ultimately will mean that we have to put our cat down.

Regardless if you are a pet-lover or not, show your support by friending him on FB - http://www.facebook.com/damiankitty?sk=wall

Comments / suggestions?
    Last edited by MagicDude4Eva; 22-02-2012 at 10:13 AM.

Super Grandmaster

Start reporting her cats for the same?

Also - ask them for proof or tell them to **** off.
    Last edited by xrapidx; 22-02-2012 at 09:05 AM.

Aw he is soooooooo cute!

Not sure of the other side of this story (if there is one) but good luck finding a solution!

It's pretty much a one-sided story and based on hear-say. Our cat was baited and trapped in her home (which cat would not wander into a cage where mince is laid out) and then dropped off at the SPCA. We are now pursuing litigation against the HOA, since the erection of a fence on our property will give our cat the freedom and will resolve the issue for good.

Pretty much double-standard in the estate - since our cat was singled out, if he just gets spotted roaming the estate (and there are dozens of other cats doing the same right now) he gets reported. The pettiness in a "pet- and children-friendly" estate just surprises me.

Regardless if you are a pet-lover or not, show your support by friending him on FB - http://www.facebook.com/damiankitty?sk=wall

Some one kicked him ?

You are kidding me... I'd be in jail now if that happened to my cat.

I have a black cat just like that.
    Last edited by Nerfherder; 22-02-2012 at 09:44 AM.
    "What can be asserted without proof can be dismissed without proof." ~ Christopher Hitchens

My idea of "Help from above" is a sniper on a roof.

Quote Originally Posted by Nerfherder View Post
    Some one kicked him ?

You are kidding me... I'd be in jail now if that happened to my cat.

I have a back cat just like that.
    I suppose it helps that the complainant was previously a director of the HOA. It also made sense that our cat came limping into our home a few weeks ago, since neighbor kids witnessed adults throwing a rock at him. This whole situation exploded in unnecessary pickering and harassment and grinds me to no end when a so-called pet lover suggests that our "deranged" cat be put down. This will be fought to the bitter end, as too many pets in this country get abused and don't receive the care and respect they should deserve.

Touch my Cat and I'd readily rip someone's f###ing face off and feed it to the Neighbor's Husky.
    I don't get how a cat owner can be so obtuse about stuff like this.

I also have cats in the complex coming into my place and scaring the crap out of Tigger sometimes.
    It's been really quiet lately though. Just leave them, let them do their exploring etc. Throw them with some water if you can, but seriously, cats get over it after a while. It's not like they stay infinitely intrigued by ones person's dwelling until the day they die.... stupid people.
    Last edited by RaptorSA; 22-02-2012 at 10:14 AM.
    Zalman Z9-Plus | Corsair 650W | Asus P8P67-Pro | i5 2500K @ 4.5Ghz (CoolerMaster Hyper 212+ Push-Pull) | VTX3D 6870 @ Stock | 8GB Mushkin Silverline

our neutered cat visits her house (she also has two cats) nightly (he is locked up at night)
    If your cat is locked up at night I don't see what the issue is. Tell this person that you cat is locked up so it must be one of his/her own cats.

Quote Originally Posted by zolly View Post
    If your cat is locked up at night I don't see what the issue is. Tell this person that you cat is locked up so it must be one of his/her own cats.
    Since our cat was baited and trapped in December this serves as sufficient evidence for the complainant and the HOA that it is our cat. Anyone who has a cat will know that cats roam as natural hunters and I have no doubt that he did visit her house. Cats are territorial and if a cat enters a foreign territory, it is more likely that the cats in that house will mark their home than a stranger - but one cannot argue those facts with someone having other motives. Other cats visit our home too and we have no problem if they come in to escape the rain or grab a quick bite.

As a cat-owner I am more than happy to chase our cat out or drop him into the shower and I am certain that he would never return. So, not being allowed to keep our cat on our property (and locking him up inside the house is no solution) by restricting his freedom with an electric fence, leaves us not many options. HOA directors are a bunch of wusses and lead double-standards where it suits them.

Quote Originally Posted by MagicDude4Eva View Post
    Other cats visit our home too and we have no problem if they come in to escape the rain or grab a quick bite.

HOA directors are a bunch of wusses and lead double-standards where it suits them.
    ^
    THIS
    I know everyone always says that it's the owner's job to keep their cat in line or whatever. Fact is though, cats who venture outside are almost impossible to control, no matter what you do.
    I just think that when someone moves into a complex knowing that they allow people to own cats there they need accept the fact that now and then a kitty might show up in their place.
    If they can't accept that then maybe they need to F-off.

And like MagicDude says, I (and I'm most cat owner's) don't have an issue with it if someone scares, sprays my cat with water (or whatever, within reason) if they don't want to see them in their place again.
    Last edited by RaptorSA; 22-02-2012 at 02:59 PM.
    Zalman Z9-Plus | Corsair 650W | Asus P8P67-Pro | i5 2500K @ 4.5Ghz (CoolerMaster Hyper 212+ Push-Pull) | VTX3D 6870 @ Stock | 8GB Mushkin Silverline

I stay in a complex and where there are rules in place of how pets should be kept certain owners who are members of the body corporate seems to have a different set of rules.

I have two Jack Russels and next to me I have neighbours with two cats each. The problem is there is no control over these cats.My dogs have to be in the yard at all times and when taken for a walk on a leash. If my dog should bark consistently or be considered a nuincance 30 days notice could be given and they would have to be gone. I see no such rules for cats in the rules of the complex. How do you expect my dogs not to bark or get excited when your cats are jumping into my yard as they please and sit on the wall as if it's their own?

All windows have to be locked at all times from preventing them from coming through the windows and spraying on mats furniture etc. Also no food can be left out to defrost etc as they will make a mess of it.

I'm considering two cans of pilchards in the gutters out in the sun for two days that should do the trick.

People with cats should consider the nuincance there cats are left roaming around without any control in an estate or complex.

I know what I would do should I catch any cat in my house.

Super Grandmaster

If you're going the legal route - starting making visual documentation of the other cats roaming the complex.

Super Grandmaster

Quote Originally Posted by WiseCrack View Post
    I stay in a complex and where there are rules in place of how pets should be kept certain owners who are members of the body corporate seems to have a different set of rules.

I have two Jack Russels and next to me I have neighbours with two cats each. The problem is there is no control over these cats.My dogs have to be in the yard at all times and when taken for a walk on a leash. If my dog should bark consistently or be considered a nuincance 30 days notice could be given and they would have to be gone. I see no such rules for cats in the rules of the complex. How do you expect my dogs not to bark or get excited when your cats are jumping into my yard as they please and sit on the wall as if it's their own?

All windows have to be locked at all times from preventing them from coming through the windows and spraying on mats furniture etc. Also no food can be left out to defrost etc as they will make a mess of it.

I'm considering two cans of pilchards in the gutters out in the sun for two days that should do the trick.

People with cats should consider the nuincance there cats are left roaming around without any control in an estate or complex.

I know what I would do should I catch any cat in my house.
    This cats vs dogs bull**** is starting to annoy me - the City of Cape Town has passed a bylaw requiring you to register and collar your dog with a city issued ID collar before the end of the year... afterwards your unregistered dog will be in-pounded... what about cats?

Quote Originally Posted by WiseCrack View Post
    Good luck with that. Cats have special receptors that help them detect the chemicals released by bacteria in food.
    In short: If it's off, they won't eat it.

Quote Originally Posted by xrapidx View Post
    the City of Cape Town has passed a bylaw requiring you to register and collar your dog with a city issued ID collar before the end of the year?
    Do you have a source for that? I have just got a puppy, no-one has told me to register it.

Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast