Facebook   Twitter    YouTube    RSS Feed    Android App    iPhone and iPad App     BlackBerry App    
Subscribe to Newsletter

Page 1 of 5 1 2345 LastLast

Thread: Convince me to buy a new car...

Joziburg. Home Of Broadband Sloth Racing...
    Blog Entries

Default Convince me to buy a new car...

Some of you might remember me wanting to buy a Volvo C70 two years ago, but I instead put that cash towards a few investments. I'm still driving my Honda Civic VXi 2006. It now has 96,000km on the clock and although I haven't had any troubles with it, I'm always worried about the dreaded 100,000km curse. So now I need to make a decision - do I keep it or do I buy a new car?

A few important details: the car is already paid off and costs me a few hundred bucks a month for insurance. It is cheap to maintain and low on petrol, while still having a bit of oomph in it. Now although money isn't much of a concern, the jewish blood in me says that what I pay for my car is an opportunity cost loss. I could have invested that cash or traded it.

I'm torn. I love my car - she's still good looking, goes well and never lets me down, but I have to seriously think about getting rid of her and moving on. If I did so, I'd be looking at a car in the region of R250k to R400k. I'd only ever consider a sedan or a convertible and I don't mind buying second hand with low mileage.

So should I buy a new car, and if so, what do you reckon I should be looking at?
    Internet the way it was meant to be. Launch details will become Crystal Clear very soon...

Depends, do you have other obligations.
    If you single, then please buy a singles car. You can a 1yr old A5, A3 conv, 135i or ...
    But, you can also keep the Honda as your run around.

Grandmaster

Quote Originally Posted by DJ... View Post
    I'm still driving my Honda Civic VXi 2006. It now has 96,000km on the clock and although I haven't had any troubles with it, I'm always worried about the dreaded 100,000km curse.
    It's a Honda, not an Audi, there is no 100k km curse.

I say keep it. I've had two Hondas as well as an Opel Corsa GSI. The first Honda was a 1989 Honda Ballade I inherited and drove until 179 000 km then traded it in for the Opel which is now 11 years old and has 190 000 km on the clock (I still use it for my work commute). I bought a Honda Civic hatch in 2006 which my wife now uses and it has almost 130 000 km on it and it's cost be about R3k in extra repairs (excl. normal service costs, brake pads & wipers) since the warranty ran out almost 3 years ago.

I expect to keep the Opel for another 2-3 years and the Honda for at least another 5-7.

I've got 175000km on my Golf 3 and she's running strong. This mistaken belief that cars should never go over 100k should be taken out to the back and shot.

Grandmaster

Quote Originally Posted by bruce_the_loon View Post
    I've got 175000km on my Golf 3 and she's running strong. This mistaken belief that cars should never go over 100k should be taken out to the back and shot.
    It's just a tactic by the motor industry to maintain new sales and get second hand stock for resale.

If you can afford another new car go for it. Otherwise I would keep it if I was you - you don't sell a Honda on 100 000km - it's then only been driven in. Some Hondas have been known to clock 1 million km. Secondly, it's paid for! WTH.

Reminder:

A few important details: the car is already paid off and costs me a few hundred bucks a month for insurance. It is cheap to maintain and low on petrol, while still having a bit of oomph in it. Now although money isn't much of a concern, the jewish blood in me says that what I pay for my car is an opportunity cost loss. I could have invested that cash or traded it.
    You've given yourself PLENTY reason to keep it. The problem you have is one of emotion. You're the perfect candidate for impulse buying!

I say keep it....invest what you would have spent on the car.
    I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered - George Best

Is your house paid off, do you own a house ?

Spending R250k on Chappies gum is a better investment than a new car. Don't do it!

Don't buy the new car, keep investing. 100k is not a lot for modern cars. They can easily do 200k and sometimes even 300k.
    Only the ANC will try to deny that e-tolls cost them a ton of votes in Gauteng...

The poster previously known as Qwikslver Chevron's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by DJ... View Post
    Some of you might remember me wanting to buy a Volvo C70 two years ago, but I instead put that cash towards a few investments. I'm still driving my Honda Civic VXi 2006. It now has 96,000km on the clock and although I haven't had any troubles with it, I'm always worried about the dreaded 100,000km curse. So now I need to make a decision - do I keep it or do I buy a new car?

I'm torn. I love my car - she's still good looking, goes well and never lets me down, but I have to seriously think about getting rid of her and moving on. If I did so, I'd be looking at a car in the region of R250k to R400k. I'd only ever consider a sedan or a convertible and I don't mind buying second hand with low mileage.

So should I buy a new car, and if so, what do you reckon I should be looking at?
    I say just extend the warranty and service plan, then when that's up consider your options then. You're happy with your car now. If it ain't broke, why spend money to fix it?

Grandmaster

DO NOT BUY ANOTHER CAR. PLS PLS PLS. Unless you are loaded.
    I would do anything to be debt free. Anything.
    i7 2600 | Asus P8H67-M (Rev B3) | Corsair TX650 | CM Scout | Mushkin Silverline BBR3 1333 -2X4GB | DeepCool Tiger Shark | 1TB Samsung | LG DVD-Writer

Another option is to finish pay off your house or buy a house if you don't have one.

Only 97000KM , shame its barely been driven :-)

My Opel Astra is now 8 Years Old and has 216000 KMs

Still goes well, can cruise very comfortably down to Durban in 5th with the Aircon on and the car loaded with bags.
    And still overtake some of the newer cars.

Never understand why people would rather go buy a POS Yaris 1.1 or something over a second hand car for the same price...
    HTML / CSS / Javascript Maniac. www.professionalhosting.co.za
    MacBook Pro 15"

Quote Originally Posted by ozziej View Post
    Only 97000KM , shame its barely been driven :-)

My Opel Astra is now 8 Years Old and has 216000 KMs

Still goes well, can cruise very comfortably down to Durban in 5th with the Aircon on and the car loaded with bags.
    And still overtake some of the newer cars.

Never understand why people would rather go buy a POS Yaris 1.1 or something over a second hand car for the same price...
    Piece of mind.

Don't get a new car, 100 000km things is BS. Drive it till it starts giving too many problems for your taste and then get rid of it. If its not giving any problems then no reason to change it.
    Boycott MWEB
    1. Leave MWeb! They WILL throttle your 1Mbps line to death as soon you download over 100GB
    2. Cancellation form

Page 1 of 5 1 2345 LastLast