Facebook   Twitter    YouTube    RSS Feed    Android App    iPhone and iPad App     BlackBerry App    
Subscribe to Newsletter

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast

Thread: hdd dead need help

Quote Originally Posted by ponder View Post
    I have a Samsung 1.5TB with a good logic board but bad sectors.
    P/N: 491031GS702819
    Model: HD154UI (1500GB/RS4/32M)
    HDD P/N: HD154UI/Y Rev.A

Other markings:
    SEC-HD154UI(B)
    Should be the same and/or similiar pcb, i'll check later and get back to you, how much do you want for your drive if i may ask?

Certain companies DO allow for this. Dell, for example, will (if you ask nicely) allow you to keep your failed drive long enough for you to have recovery carried out, whilst replacing it in the mean time and then accepting the failed drive back, even if it needed to be opened for recovery. We have this happen often when dealing with drives from Dell machines.

Other retailers are sometime flexible in this regard as well. Ultimately you need to understand that all that is covered by the warranty is the product. Every HDD manufacturer will stipulate that the drive is covered by the warranty, the data is not. As mentioned, if data is important it really is necessary to have it backed up in multiple, off site locations. Data is the user's responsibility.
    www.southbit.co.za
    Affordable, professional data recovery services

Quote Originally Posted by essop1@gp View Post
    Should be the same and/or similiar pcb, i'll check later and get back to you, how much do you want for your drive if i may ask?
    Unfortunately a straight board swap with an identical PCB has a very, very low chance of success. You also need to confirm that the problem is isolated to the PCB alone and no internal components are affected.
    www.southbit.co.za

Quote Originally Posted by South_Bit View Post
    Unfortunately a straight board swap with an identical PCB has a very, very low chance of success. You also need to confirm that the problem is isolated to the PCB alone and no internal components are affected.

I know that my chances are low but it might just be worth the try, but on the other hand, i do think that it's just the pcb that was affected, i am almost certain.

I know that my chances are low but it might just be worth the try, but on the other hand, i do think that it's just the pcb that was affected, i am almost certain.
    There is a chance you could corrupt the firmware on the drive if you use a PCB from another drive. I'm not trying to scare you, just want to make you aware of the risks.
    www.southbit.co.za

South_Bit,

Not sure if you want to answer this question (you can decline seeing as you make money that way) but how do you go about recovering data from a drive with that kind of failure?

Quote Originally Posted by Gnome View Post
    South_Bit,

Not sure if you want to answer this question (you can decline seeing as you make money that way) but how do you go about recovering data from a drive with that kind of failure?
    I'll give it a shot. First you need to find a working donor PCB, next you have to transfer the info in the EEPROM/flash from the faulty PCB to donor PCB so it matches up with the firmware on the platters. Each drive is different from the next one in the production process and the ROM is programmed accordingly.

You need expensive kit to do this, things like PC-3000 etc.

Go dig around here http://forum.hddguru.com/, lots of ****s there though
    Last edited by ponder; 23-02-2012 at 06:40 PM.
    entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem

Ponder's given you a good idea of what's involved. Sourcing a compatible board, adapting it to the new drive as each one holds adaptive info and a small portion of firmware unique to each drive. This data is sometimes stored on an IC on the PCB, other times it is embedded into the MCU. Horribly expensive equipment is used to transfer this across.
    www.southbit.co.za

Quote Originally Posted by South_Bit View Post
    Horribly expensive equipment is used to transfer this across.
    So you had to buy this equipment or do you generally just solder the important bits onto a new PCB?

Either way, I wouldn't even try attempt this if I couldn't afford to lose the data.

Quote Originally Posted by Gnome View Post
    So you had to buy this equipment or do you generally just solder the important bits onto a new PCB?

Either way, I wouldn't even try attempt this if I couldn't afford to lose the data.
    We've got all the industry leading data recovery equipment, many different tools for different types of failures. With PCBs you're talking about SMD technology (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Surface-mount_technology) so unfortunately it can't be done with a soldering iron and a steady hand. Well possibly I suppose, but not if you want to do it properly.

PCB failures account for a very low portion of recoveries anyway, maybe 10% at a rough guess. Most failures are due to failed heads; firmware issues; jammed motor spindles; heavy bad sectors etc.
    www.southbit.co.za

then i connected the original drive to my pc andit doesnt power up, in fact when its connected to my pc the entire pc does even power on untik i unplug that drive,
    Sorry, I didn't read it properly, first time. Would you consider to take this drive to some friend with electronic background? Your hard drive have a short circuit, it trips PC power supply.

Hard drives have a small protection devices against voltage spikes, called TVS. I suspect this element failed. You need to inspect PC board, frequently replacing blown TVS returns hard drive to life.

Quote Originally Posted by sajunky View Post
    Sorry, I didn't read it properly, first time. Would you consider to take this drive to some friend with electronic background? Your hard drive have a short circuit, it trips PC power supply.

Hard drives have a small protection devices against voltage spikes, called TVS. I suspect this element failed. You need to inspect PC board, frequently replacing blown TVS returns hard drive to life.
    No worries, I found that weird and i work with pc's every single day.

I would definitely consider that if possible, do you know someone who would be able to have a look for me, that would be great.

You know whats the depressing thing about all this, first obviously the info on the driver but secondly the replacement value, i paid R568 for this external drive, now the drive alone is just about R1000.

Not sure you want to save data or hard drive. If it is TVS case, you might be lucky to get both drive and data. If there is more damages, you need data recovery.

If you are in JHB area and willing to travel to my place near Diepsloot, I can check PCB and replace TVS at no charge.

Quote Originally Posted by sajunky View Post
    Not sure you want to save data or hard drive. If it is TVS case, you might be lucky to get both drive and data. If there is more damages, you need data recovery.

If you are in JHB area and willing to travel to my place near Diepsloot, I can check PCB and replace TVS at no charge.
    At this point the drive, but if i can get some info off that wouldnt be too bad.
    I also stay near Diepsloot but on the PTA side, i stay in Erasmia next to Laudium, i don't mind driving that way at all, i drive passed Diepsloot everyday to work and back. Just PM me your details please.
    I really appreciate your help.

Just PM me your details please.
    Will send my details as soon I receive your Email address.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast