Facebook   Twitter    YouTube    RSS Feed    Android App    iPhone and iPad App     BlackBerry App    
Subscribe to Newsletter

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Flat-rated mobile data for Nokia smartphones in the works?

Default Flat-rated mobile data for Nokia smartphones in the works?

Flat-rated mobile data for Nokia smartphones in the works?

Nashua Mobile has hinted at launching fixed price data packages for Nokia devices on 7 March

I will take a contract with Nashua Mobile if it is free and gratis, under NO other circumstances. My SO had 2 contracts with them, and it must be the BEST non-service provider in the industry.

Grandmaster

even if its free and gratis, i'd love to see how they get any nokia/apple/samsung to compete with any blackberry when it comes to email/bbm.

50mb / month yippee!
    Please surprise us.
    My ISPís
    TelkomSA (Do3) - Axxess (international prepaid) - Axxess (Local prepaid) Axxess (Uncapped) - Afrihost (Free 1GB)
    All good no complaints.

Wait. So I have to be in a contract or get a new one?

they probably got their own branded firmware installed with the devices

Quote Originally Posted by Allin View Post
    My SO had 2 contracts with them, and it must be the BEST non-service provider in the industry.
    I raise you Autopage.

Wait, didn't MTN introduce something like that a week or so ago? A "BlackBerry-like" service?
    Last edited by Allin; 23-02-2012 at 07:38 PM.

Does Nokia make Iphone..? I'd definitely take a few then.

<LOL!? Couldn't resist> )

Brandjes would not reveal more than that, but did say that such packages can take various forms, so long as it is very clear what is included in the flat-rated portion and what is not.
    i.e. You can use XX MB of data for X, Y and Z purposes but if you use any other type of data you can expect hefty out of bundle rates.

Awesome. Shame its Nashua. Some poor idiot somewhere is in for the two roughest years of his/her life.

Nokia South Africa’s general manager, Gerhard Brandjes, told MyBroadband that they are looking at, and are in discussions with various stakeholders about offering data packages for Nokia devices that can compete with BlackBerry Internet Service in SA.
    After the MTN debacle with their "similar to BIS" offering that turned out to be nothing like it, I'll wait for more info before jumping for joy.

Brandjes would not reveal more than that, but did say that such packages can take various forms, so long as it is very clear what is included in the flat-rated portion and what is not.
    Okay, didn't have to wait very long for the "more info". Sadly, it looks very much like this is going to be another bull faeces package with lots of the coolest buzz words bandied about to sugar coat it.

Quote Originally Posted by albert123 View Post
    even if its free and gratis, i'd love to see how they get any nokia/apple/samsung to compete with any blackberry when it comes to email/bbm.
    Most modern smart-phones have email easily comparable to BB.
    On my WP7 I have it connected to exchange - arguably as good, if not better.
    And then messenger is always connected, much like BBM. And iPhone has iMessage, which I haven't used but I imagine it's pretty comparable.
    And those are only the native ones, there are lots of 3rd party services like WhatsApp and Kik, but granted they are less robust.

Quote Originally Posted by mmmig View Post
    they probably got their own branded firmware installed with the devices
    Nokia has been making a massive push with WP7, so if they are marketing something chances are it will be those devices. If it is, then I'm 99% sure there will be no custom firmware.
    My Site: http://blog.roguecode.co.za
    I make awesome Windows Phone apps for awesome companies.

What about android? If this is for WP7 nokia phones then its gonna be a very niche product

You can't compare bb mail to Wm7, android or iPhone mail apps. Bb mail is primitive and in seriouse need of a upgrade.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast