Facebook   Twitter    YouTube    RSS Feed    Android App    iPhone and iPad App     BlackBerry App    
Subscribe to Newsletter

Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast

Thread: Standard Bank vs FNB on Twitter

Blog Entries

Default Standard Bank vs FNB on Twitter

Standard Bank Launches Twitter attack on FNB
    Standard Bank, which is one of South Africa’s largest financial institutions, has gone “gloves off” with FNB (another large South African bank) on Twitter.

Over the last few months First National Bank, a Division of First Rand Bank LTD, has made a concerted effort to portray itself as a customer-Orientated bank. Its official Twitter account, @rbjacobs, has been on call virtually 24 hours a day helping FNB clients with any and all problems and banking queries. FNB also made waves last year when it launched South Africa’s first Mobile Banking App on iPhone, Android and Blackberry simultaneously and then weeks later launched discounted smartphones and tablets with interest-free loans to Gold and Platinum Clients. The active involvement of FNB CEO Michael Jordaan has also helped personalise the relationship between FNB customers and the bank. This has created a virtual army of FNB evangelists that would make Steve Jobs and his Mac Fanboys proud.

The marketing campaign went into overdrive on Radio when “Steve” from Bleep-Bank called unhappy consumers to find out why they were switching to FNB.

It was only a matter of time that one of the other “Big Four” banks (the other two being ABSA and Nedbank) responded to FNB’s robust marketing drive.

The tweet stream started when Standard Bank announced that it would be laying a complaint against FNB with the Advertising Standards Authority (ASA) for the “Steve” ads.
    This is hilarious to watch. I don't think Standard Bank will gain many clients by going this route. Why not try to innovate like FNB does and actually show a modicum of care for your clients?

Hahaha it's epic. Standard **** have done fnb a massive marketing favor here!

They sound like spoiled kids whining that their Xbox isn't as good as the neighbour's ps3.

Blog Entries

I love how Standard Bank are touting that they offer free internet banking*.

Really?

*Yes, but only on a few select accounts

Now that's what I'd call false advertising.

RBJacobs retweeted this:
    RT @hiltontarrant So @StandardBankGrp are now really hated.#FNB won this ages ago.@Nedbank has sense of humour.Absa hasn't heard of Twitter.

Feels a bit childish doesn't it? I mean, nobody is (should be) a die hard fan of any bank and posting on Twitter that you are gonna sue another bank because they have made you look bad (only by showing how good they are) is not gonna gather any real sympathy.
    Last edited by Hamster; 23-02-2012 at 09:27 PM.
    Always remember the 18th of November

Well Standard bank are loosing clients big time: My wife just closed her account, another two guys at work closed theirs this month and I'm next.

Funny that we are all moving to FNB, and no, its not for the cheap iPad.
    Character is how you treat those that can do nothing for you.

How typical of large corporates in this country - instead of solving the real issues, they attack the competitor who is innovating. Cell C vs. Vodacom anyone?
    ಠ_ಠ
    <|>
    /ω\

Blog Entries

The tweets by @BeepBank are hilarious

#FNB claim to offer their clients GOLD cheque cards...BUT THEY ARE MADE OUT OF PLASTIC!!!! COME ON!

#FNB the first SA bank with an app? We downloaded Angry Birds way before they did...

We have 77 followers. How many followers do you have #FNB? Oh wait...nevermind...

Quote Originally Posted by Crusader View Post
    The tweets by @BeepBank are hilarious
    I like their picture

The funniest part in all this is that with all their moaning and insecurities, Standard Bank's has effectively owned up to being Beep Bank. It could have been any of the other 3 for all we know, but SB has done the honourable thing and taken ownership. Talk about shooting yourself in the foot
    ಠ_ಠ
    <|>
    /ω\

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Hoxbig View Post
    I like their picture

The funniest part in all this is that with all their moaning and insecurities, Standard Bank's has effectively owned up to being Beep Bank. It could have been any of the other 3 for all we know, but SB has done the honourable thing and taken ownership. Talk about shooting yourself in the foot
    In my head, beep beep was always Absa. Especially with the forex Steve ad:
    "we are going to do it..."
    "when, Steve? Today? Tomorrow? Too late..."

I hate those Steve ads.
    domaincheap.co.za
    Only one of these adds to your value as a human being: Consuming things other people have made or making your own.
    link

Quote Originally Posted by Pooky View Post
    I hate those Steve ads.
    Whether its hated or loved its done its job as it has raised the brand's profile...

Blog Entries

Standard Bank @StandardBankGrp: We believe that South Africans are entitled to accurate advertising. Ultimately the ASA will make a decision with your interests at heart.
    Yes, you are really doing us all such a HUGE favor.

Quote Originally Posted by Crusader View Post
    Yes, you are really doing us all such a HUGE favor.
    Well then standard bank, your "simpler better faster" tag line is a lie. Should we all report you to Asa?

FNB ftw
    Money and Sex, Bandwidth and Storage... Only too much is ever enough

Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast