Facebook   Twitter    YouTube    RSS Feed    Android App    iPhone and iPad App     BlackBerry App    
Subscribe to Newsletter



Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 31 to 38 of 38

Thread: TL-MR3420 & Huawei E173. 3G Disconnecting / Webpages Hanging etc

  1. #31

    Default

    after further testing, it seems that the MR3420 works ok for a while, until it gets the error "Detect 3G link failed". After this error it usually dials up the modem again, and eventually connects. however, after it has connected to the internet again, pages don't load, and just keep timing out, or maybe on the rare occasions the internet pages do load, they only do so intermittently.

    when I noticed this today, I then manually rebooted the router, and afterwards, the internet was running fast and stable again.

    It seems that when this "Detect 3G link failed" error message appears, the router is unable to recover fully from it, and the only solution is a reboot.

    I wish that this feature could be written into the firmware (automatic reboot), as this would certainly help our problem here. The problem otherwise is that, when this detect 3g link error occurs, the only option is to manually reboot the router, and many times, people here in the house, wouldn't realise this was necessary until after a while of struggling with web pages not working properly. And even if they did realise something was wrong, this would mean a lot of manual reboots, which is quite inconvenient.

  2. #32

    Default

    I have recently emailed all my previous my logs to TP-Link, who have advised they will be sending them to a senior engineer.

    Also, today, I have also just emailed TP-Link with my suggestion for an auto-reboot of the router after the specific "Detect 3G link failed" error occurs.

    I am hoping that they will be able to email me a modified firmware version with this feature added, even if it is just for my benefit. I can then test it to see if it resolves my problems.

    At first glance, it does appear that a reboot fixes things.

    It definitely seems to me that the MR3420 is unable to recover properly after this error occurs, and the only option to get it fully working again, is to do a reboot, otherwise, web pages simply won't open properly anymore, and the whole thing slows down to a stop.

    Hopefully, I get a reply.
    Last edited by andyp1; 03-03-2012 at 04:36 AM.

  3. #33

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by andyp1 View Post
    after further testing, it seems that the MR3420 works ok for a while, until it gets the error "Detect 3G link failed". After this error it usually dials up the modem again, and eventually connects. however, after it has connected to the internet again, pages don't load, and just keep timing out, or maybe on the rare occasions the internet pages do load, they only do so intermittently.
    Does it really disconnect and connect again or light in the modem remains steady on (or in some other stage - but not following commands)?

  4. #34

    Default

    I 'think' the lights are still flashing and working normally, but the next time this error happens (if I happen to be on the laptop at the same time), I will check the status of the lights.

    After the "Detect 3G link failed" error, I am still able to access the web interface of the router, and I can see in the system log that it redials the connection, going through the usual process, and then connects to the internet again. Whether it has 'actually' connected, I am not sure. I guess that it has, because there have been some times where I have gone online at a later time, without realising this error had occurred earlier, and I think that webpages were struggling to load, and if so, were loading intermittently, and everything was also really slow. The time in the log usually changes to '1st day...' or something as well, which is how I realise, sometimes immediately (if I'm checking the log at the time) that something has gone wrong.

    I will confirm all of the above the next time I am on the laptop and it happens again.
    Last edited by andyp1; 03-03-2012 at 04:51 PM.

  5. #35

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by andyp1 View Post
    Whether it has 'actually' connected, I am not sure. I guess that it has, because there have been some times where I have gone online at a later time, without realising this error had occurred earlier, and I think that webpages were struggling to load, and if so, were loading intermittently, and everything was also really slow.
    This is what I was asking. You will know for sure:
    1. steady blue/cyan or green: connected
    2. blinking once: disconnected (still normal disconnected state)
    3. blinking green twice (not normal)
    4. red: modem detects error (only ZTE modems)

  6. #36

    Default

    @ andyp1. Will you please keep us updated with firmware updates from TP-Link? Im in the process of upgrading my 8ta with Hauwei E173 with the same TP-Link router, but the 8ta connection regularly disconnects and my router is not in a comfortable place to manually reboot. Don't want to end up throwing something out the window...

  7. #37
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Orbiting a distant star
    Posts
    477
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Planque View Post
    @ andyp1. Will you please keep us updated with firmware updates from TP-Link? Im in the process of upgrading my 8ta with Hauwei E173 with the same TP-Link router, but the 8ta connection regularly disconnects and my router is not in a comfortable place to manually reboot. Don't want to end up throwing something out the window...
    Quite honestly, I would not recommend that particular router for a location that is not comfortable to manually reboot or for an unmanned remote site for example.

    Rather take a look at this thread:
    http://mybroadband.co.za/vb/showthre...-USB-3G-Modems

    I've switched all my 3G routers over to the MikroTik RB-751U and with the scripts I have written along with the watchdog and netwatch features of this router to automatically reboot when needed, I haven't had any trouble since. Saved myself a lot of time and traveling expenses.

  8. #38

    Default

    has anybody tried the new firmware for the MR3420? mr3420v1_en_3_12_21_up(120508).bin

    http://www.tplink.com/en/support/dow...rsion=V1#tbl_j
    -------- e-tolling is a new tax, with added VAT! Don't support corruption, don't get an e-tag! and don't pay! -------

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •