Facebook   Twitter    YouTube    RSS Feed    Android App    iPhone and iPad App     BlackBerry App    
Subscribe to Newsletter



Page 1 of 12 1 234511 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 167

Thread: Throw away your DivX DVD Players. XviD being phased out.

  1. #1
    MyBB Legend
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    On the couch
    Posts
    29,554

    Default Throw away your DivX DVD Players. XviD being phased out.

    I've been waiting for this for such a long time. XviD is no more. The Scene has released new rules that stipulate that the x264 codec will be used with the mp4 container for SD TV content. So for all of you downloading XviD stuff everyday, your standard DivX player won't be able to play these files. Luckily, a lot of people have invested in proper media players, so this shouldn't be a problem for them.

    http://scenenotice.org/details.php?id=2028

  2. #2

    Default

    Sweet. Any idea if there will be HD rips using the MP4 container as well?
    ಠ_ಠ
    <|>
    /ω\

  3. #3
    Super Grandmaster
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Snorries
    Posts
    10,356

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Hoxbig View Post
    Sweet. Any idea if there will be HD rips using the MP4 container as well?
    MKV still dominates the HD scene. Simple reason.... The high quality:size ratio.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rickster View Post
    Why is everyone going ape **** over this car, it looks like junk and the performance must be too.
    Quote Originally Posted by KSINGH View Post
    Oh no you didn't

  4. #4
    MyBB Legend
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    On the couch
    Posts
    29,554

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Hoxbig View Post
    Sweet. Any idea if there will be HD rips using the MP4 container as well?
    No idea but LOL have already released today's episodes in XviD and x264. I think the HD stuff will stick to MKV.

  5. #5

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by froot View Post
    MKV still dominates the HD scene. Simple reason.... The high quality:size ratio.
    Reason I'm curious is that devices like Xbox don't do MKV, and they have a 4GB file size limit. In the past couple of years there have been many 720p XviD rips using the AVI container to work around this problem.
    ಠ_ಠ
    <|>
    /ω\

  6. #6
    Super Grandmaster
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Snorries
    Posts
    10,356

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Hoxbig View Post
    Reason I'm curious is that devices like Xbox don't do MKV, and they have a 4GB file size limit. In the past couple of years there have been many 720p XviD rips using the AVI container to work around this problem.
    I completely understand your argument. I have the same argument.... hypothetically if I were to download movies/series in mkv, my friends with their PS3's would moan at me because it doesn't work on it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rickster View Post
    Why is everyone going ape **** over this car, it looks like junk and the performance must be too.
    Quote Originally Posted by KSINGH View Post
    Oh no you didn't

  7. #7
    Super Grandmaster Ou grote's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Where you live
    Posts
    15,474

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Hoxbig View Post
    Reason I'm curious is that devices like Xbox don't do MKV, and they have a 4GB file size limit. In the past couple of years there have been many 720p XviD rips using the AVI container to work around this problem.
    Yep, that is annoying, otherwise the xbox is great for media.

  8. #8

    Default

    MKV is just a media container format. The video & audio streams used are identical to those in mp4s, and its pretty easy to convert (not recode) MKV <-> MP4.

    MKVs popularity is because its a more advanced/flexible container allowing for multiple embedded video, audio and subtitle streams/tracks.
    Last edited by Roman4604; 24-02-2012 at 11:33 AM.
    Still here ... FTL drives offline

  9. #9
    Super Grandmaster techead's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    by the mountain
    Posts
    9,258
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    ok wait,

    so you saying that SD shows will longer be published in *.avi using xvid/divx but rather in *.mp4 using the x264 codec?
    sigh

  10. #10
    MyBB Legend
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    On the couch
    Posts
    29,554

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by techead View Post
    ok wait,

    so you saying that SD shows will longer be published in *.avi using xvid/divx but rather in *.mp4 using the x264 codec?
    Correct. Those groups who don't want to change, will be banned. There are already two very popular groups that don't want to change and they will be banned from "trading". Those groups are 2hd and fqm. Very sad, because their stuff is of good quality.

  11. #11
    Super Grandmaster
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Snorries
    Posts
    10,356

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by techead View Post
    ok wait,

    so you saying that SD shows will no longer be published in *.avi using xvid/divx but rather in *.mp4 using the x264 codec?
    fixed, and yes, divx was replaced by H.264 on the 22nd.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rickster View Post
    Why is everyone going ape **** over this car, it looks like junk and the performance must be too.
    Quote Originally Posted by KSINGH View Post
    Oh no you didn't

  12. #12

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Roman4604 View Post
    MKV is just a media container format. The video & audio streams used are identical to those in mp4s, and its pretty easy to convert (not recode) MKV <-> MP4.

    MKVs popularity is because its a more advanced/flexible container allowing for multiple embedded video, audio and subtitle streams/tracks.
    Yup, but the MKV container is not supported on the Xbox and PS3, hence the question about whether there would be MP4 (x264) HD rips, similar to the AVI (XviD) HD rips that are currently out which are compatible with these devices. I guess time will tell.
    ಠ_ಠ
    <|>
    /ω\

  13. #13
    Super Grandmaster techead's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    by the mountain
    Posts
    9,258
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    question, why dont they just keep the mkv container instead of moving over to MP4?

    seems logical
    sigh

  14. #14
    MyBB Legend
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    On the couch
    Posts
    29,554

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by techead View Post
    question, why dont they just keep the mkv container instead of moving over to MP4?
    It plays "nicely" with all media devices. MKV brings its own issues along, as mentioned above.

  15. #15
    Super Grandmaster techead's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    by the mountain
    Posts
    9,258
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by mercurial View Post
    It plays "nicely" with all media devices. MKV brings its own issues along, as mentioned above.
    ok I think I get it.

    So if I download a MP4 that uses x264 most media devices will play it, but if the container is MKV then it wont play?

    that seems awfully retarded...
    sigh

Page 1 of 12 1 234511 ... LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •