Facebook   Twitter    YouTube    RSS Feed    Android App    iPhone and iPad App     BlackBerry App    
Subscribe to Newsletter

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: The biggest social networks in South Africa

Default The biggest social networks in South Africa

The biggest social networks in South Africa

A comparison of the latest statistics on the biggest online social networking platforms in South Africa

Grandmaster

wouldnt whatsapp be considered a social network?

I thought Whatsapp and BBM and Facebook and Twitter, etc., has replaced Mxit?
    Last edited by dabbler; 24-02-2012 at 01:21 PM.

Yeah, I wouldn't call MXit a social network. Luckily Jan refers to it as a "social service" in the article.

another mxit article? IS AKC jnr paying for all this advertising?

Hey mBB, how about an article of the ratio of smart phone to feature phone users, and the rate of conversion from feature phone to smart phone, with, perhaps, a projection as to when (if) feature phones are going to die out.

And that will settle the question as to when MXIT is going to die.

Thanks.

How can one compare peer messaging to a social network? Social networking as I understand it, allows all your friends/contacts to view your postings/messages, etc. like Facebook, LinkedIn, Twitter.

Quote Originally Posted by Niren_M View Post
    How can one compare peer messaging to a social network? Social networking as I understand it, allows all your friends/contacts to view your postings/messages, etc. like Facebook, LinkedIn, Twitter.
    agreed, but still unexpected I thought mixit had died out.

Quote Originally Posted by HOLY MAnIAC View Post
    agreed, but still unexpected I thought mixit had died out.
    Mxit to smartphone users = dying out. Most South Africans don't use smart phones = a big market share left. This is something ICT developers in SA (especially web and mobile developers) have to understand. We wish everyone can afford a smartphone, the majority don't, SA is 3rd world, and i think we should focus on that too. The feature phone market is still huge, but not as profitable(e.g. postpaid vs prepaid in telecommunications)

Nice to see that 2go made it into an article on here at last :-)

Just received official stats from Research in Motion who say that 97% of BlackBerry users in South Africa are on BBM as well. Updated the article accordingly.

Quote Originally Posted by Sodan View Post
    Hey mBB, how about an article of the ratio of smart phone to feature phone users, and the rate of conversion from feature phone to smart phone, with, perhaps, a projection as to when (if) feature phones are going to die out.

And that will settle the question as to when MXIT is going to die.

Thanks.
    I've actually given a talk where I was asked about this, but some of the stats are a year old. I'll find out if there are newer stats on this.

Just to pre-empt any discussion about this when the time comes: What would you like the headline to be? ;-)

I personally think 2go is better than mxit. 2go got 10million users in Africa as a whole.
    Last edited by mykel; 24-02-2012 at 11:20 PM.

40000 new registrations everyday, sheesh, there are only so many people with a cellphone.
    So you need an uncapped account?
    Well I would recommend not getting an uncapped account with TelkomInternet, here is why.

Quote Originally Posted by mykel View Post
    I personally think 2go is better than mxit. 2go got 10million users in Africa as a whole.
    At the moment 2go actually has over 16 million registered users, most of which are from Africa :-)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast