Facebook   Twitter    YouTube    RSS Feed    Android App    iPhone and iPad App     BlackBerry App    
Subscribe to Newsletter

Thread: Mac mini memory upgrade

Unhappy Mac mini memory upgrade

I am thinking of making the jump to Mac, and am considering the Mac mini.

I was in the iStore (Fourways) today having a look, and enquired about upgrading the RAM. I have read on the reviews that the entry level Mac mini could really do with some more RAM, so my plan would be to upgrade right after purchase.

I did a quick search on the web, and given that the mini can take 8Gb of RAM, I found a pair of 4Gb modules for around R500.

I asked the guy at the iStore as a matter of interest what they would charge for RAM and he said 2 x 4Gb Apple RAM would be R3999. I just laughed in his face, and said you can keep your RAM I will go elsewhere. At which point he said, well if you install non Apple RAM you will void your warranty.

This just sounds like trash to me, can anyone offer some input on this.

This page on the Apple support site really seems to me to suggest users can basically DIY their own RAM install

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4805
    http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4432#1

Thanks

Your warranty won't be voided at all.
    Your owners manual will have a step-by-step on replacing RAM and hard drives yourself... The manual leads off with a warning that reads (and this is word for word): "If you attempt to install a replacement drive or memory and damage your equipment, such damage is not covered by the limited warranty on your computer." That's it, no more, no less...

He is trying to scare you mate. I replace all my Apple RAM myself. I have never had problems when taking my machines in for repairs with Apple. Never (I mean it) buy and install RAM from Apple. Ripoff.

Super Grandmaster

I don't know if those guys are giving you a line to sell a RAM upgrade or they really believe doing it yourself voids the warranty, but as others have said the manual gives instructions along with a warning.

There's been a previous discussion here about the ridiculous price iStore charges for a RAM upgrade. I wonder how many people they sucker into paying their extortionate fee.

Where did you find the 2x4GB RAM for R500? I need to get some for my Mac Mini (2010 model).

BTW, it's a fantastic computer. iMac's might be sexier, but they are pretty unreliable in my opinion. If the screen goes, you lose the whole computer to the repairman. Not good design in my opinion. I had one and this is exactly what happened to me.
    And this is the bottom line.

Quote Originally Posted by Pixual View Post
    Where did you find the 2x4GB RAM for R500? I need to get some for my Mac Mini (2010 model).
    Current going rate of Corsair/Kingston laptop RAM from online shops. You're looking for 2x4GB DDR-1333 SO-DIMMs.
    Electronic Music
    PM me for cheap PC parts
    Quote Originally Posted by cableguy View Post
    Each account is allocated to only 1 x user.

Any shop in particular?

Red face

Thanks everybody for the comments.

Sounds like it won't be a problem then.

Did a search hear and found a few stores that stock the RAM I will probably get

http://www.shopmania.co.za/memory/p-...1333c9-1259994

Yep just wanna say, they work perfectly, in a Mini, Macbook Pro, whatever.

@Pixual, check out Sybaritic.

Will do. Thanks.

Whoever help you is a retard.
    Or am i being stupid?

Quote Originally Posted by drick55 View Post
    I asked the guy at the iStore as a matter of interest what they would charge for RAM and he said 2 x 4Gb Apple RAM would be R3999. I just laughed in his face, and said you can keep your RAM I will go elsewhere. At which point he said, well if you install non Apple RAM you will void your warranty.
    In a country with a real Apple presence they wouldn't get away with spreading such FUD.

As for the cost - It's not Apple. Looking at their website upgrading a 2gb mini to 8gb costs $300.00 (R2300) and from 4gb to 8gb is $200.00 (R1534). No, it's still not cheap by any standard but how on earth does Core get away with charging an additional R1699?
    "Le mieux est l'ennemi du bien." FM Arouet
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." Edmund Burke
    "Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience" Unknown
    Ron White was right

Default Mac mini memory upgrade

I upgraded my Mac mini to 8gb for about R400
    Web Design Cape Town
    Web Design and Development

Quote Originally Posted by joeymojo View Post
    I upgraded my Mac mini to 8gb for about R400
    Ja but your Mac is gonna blow up in your face because you used inferior components
    entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem