Facebook   Twitter    YouTube    RSS Feed    Android App    iPhone and iPad App     BlackBerry App    
Subscribe to Newsletter

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 123 4567 ... LastLast

Thread: Why did IRC die out in South Africa?

Sounds like a song TK killed the irc star
    Get your 2Gb free Dropbox account

I think adsl had a large part to do with IRC dying out. Before adsl came along everyone was either on from work or dialled up just after 7 and actually used their time on there to chat etc. When adsl got popular it seemed like everyone just idled 24/7.

Quote Originally Posted by Hamster View Post
    Replacing the TK threads with IRC would be awesome!
    +1. Please!

Oh hey Sinbad!
    Electronic Music
    PM me for cheap PC parts
    Quote Originally Posted by cableguy View Post
    Each account is allocated to only 1 x user.

I think that the biggest and most active IRC network in ZA right now is probably the WUGs. There are still people there all the time chatting.
    local IPv6 hosting | ping6 blog | jawug hugh.diener@apolix.co.za

Super Grandmaster

Quote Originally Posted by Sinbad View Post
    IRC in ZA was really held together by a relatively small group of people who provided entertainment or info for the rest. As they got lives and drifted away, interest waned and they weren't really replaced.
    Mxit, Bbm, Facebook etc all contributed to it really dropping below a critical mass. Now when someone tries it there is nothing to hold them there.
    I miss SpiderGirl (RIP), PrinceVal and Altaaf's cookies. Sinbad was supposed to keep my Voice-From-The-Toilet nick from '98 alive when I moved overseas, but he convienently let it die.

I don't miss my IRC turned IRL stalker.

Odd how FB became what IRCgod resembled.

Grandmaster

Quote Originally Posted by Voicy View Post
    I miss SpiderGirl (RIP), PrinceVal and Altaaf's cookies. Sinbad was supposed to keep my Voice-From-The-Toilet nick from '98 alive when I moved overseas, but he convienently let it die.

I don't miss my IRC turned IRL stalker.

Odd how FB became what IRCgod resembled.

Ahhh, I remember Voice-From-The-Toilet

I want to start IRCing again :/ I miss those days.

Made some really good friends. Seaker, Orbit, Quench, ScareCrow, Adman.

I still use IRC sometimes. There is a mybb channel in Shadowfire, but there's only ever 3 or 4 people in it and nothing seems to be said.

EDIT: Don't see it now, but I know it's been there previously. This year, even.

Quote Originally Posted by Voicy View Post
    I don't miss my IRC turned IRL stalker
    ... who?
    http://www.riverbed.com/

Jägermeiʃter can fix that!

Super Grandmaster

Quote Originally Posted by Dolby View Post
    ... who?
    ygpm

I think the main reason is that mobile phones got advanced. Before, when I used to log onto IRC, I used so sms a few friends that I'm online and I used to sit at the PC till 4 am. Nowadays we can sit anywhere at anytime ith cellphone in hand and mxit, bbm, whatever app...

But correct, those were fun days. Nospacebaronkeyboard

Comic chat was hilarious, Microsoft Servers

This text exists even though you can't really see it, now apply this truth to your existence in the universe.

Super Grandmaster

I loved the quasi-sense of community on IRC.

Back in '99-2001 it was considered taboo to speak to people online and only geeks would spend time on the net.

However, in contrast to twitter and facebook signups, it took a certain degree of intelligence in order for a user to:

1) get their dialup connection going
    2) download and setup their IRC client
    3) find ZA servers

So yes, there were a number of idiots on there, but they were at least semi-skilled idiots. Compared to the rif-raf you find on social media sites nowadays I actually cringe being part of it. Main chats in channels were often witty and quite sharp-in-short-notice...as bash.org is testament to.

Over the years IRC also taught me to get a WPM score over 80 just by typing so damn much.

Blog Entries

Facebook killed IRC, but it was one its way out when cheap phones could connect to it. Brought a group of miff people into the communities.
    "To live is the rarest thing in the world. Most people exist. That is all..." - Oscar Wilde

Blog Entries

Oh and who can forget http://bash.org/

The place where your stuff ups got plastered to live for ever.

If it wasn't for the real name crap on Google+ it would have been cool to create a MyBB Hangout instead of an IRC channel, as I suspect a lot of people here would prefer to stay anon.
    .... and thanks for all the fish.

I remember chatting on irc with my 6310i I think it was, not even a colour screen lol. I also remember using it to connect during the day as R2 was a better option than telkom dial. Mxit came along then it started to die and now bbm and whatsapp have taken over or so it seems to me

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 123 4567 ... LastLast