Facebook   Twitter    YouTube    RSS Feed    Android App    iPhone and iPad App     BlackBerry App    
Subscribe to Newsletter

Thread: Neotel fibre experience

Default Neotel fibre experience

Hi All. we are looking at getting the neotel fibre 5mb for our office in the sandton area. we currently are on adsl 4mb with IS but it constantly having issues.

Is anyone using neotel in the area? please could you let me know how it is. There are few but mixed threads on this forum. dont want to sign a contract and get a poorer service than we currently have

We ordered it 4 months ago, and it only got installed a few days ago due to landlord issues. It appears to have been worth the wait though - we get the full 15down/15up anytime of day or night, and latency to the UK is 172ms (from JHB).

Also thinking of getting this. Are there any other setup costs? What is the contract period and any mention of SLA uptime guarantee?

What is the FUP like? They have on their website that this is not meant for high intensive apps...what?! We intend on using about 200-300Gb per month. Possibly more if we do offsite backups
    Last edited by saliehendricks; 09-03-2012 at 12:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by saliehendricks View Post
    Also thinking of getting this. Are there any other setup costs? What is the contract period and any mention of SLA uptime guarantee?

What is the FUP like? They have on their website that this is not meant for high intensive apps...what?! We intend on using about 200-300Gb per month. Possibly more if we do offsite backups
    Based on your package ie 15 Mb/s you will get 2.25 Tb (15 x 150 Gb = 2250Gb)
    before they might throttle you. NOt mentioned anywhere, told verbally

Service Desk is very frustrating, trying to understand a foreign call center accent.
    Billing - just no end to get your bill sorted out by someone (email trails to wrap around the earth)
    Escalating calls to Service Desk Manager - does help if they cannot assist you

Speed is great, make sure you have a backup line as we have had the following: (6 months time)
    Not getting close to our advertised speed - took a couple of weeks to solve that problem, with plenty of speed tests from my side to prove them.
    2 fiber breaks, [one Neotel (offline 5 hrs) & one Infraco (offline 4 hrs)fiber being laid by DFA possible cause]
    1 configuration bungle (due to Infraco) which took us offline for 2 days

Plenty of packet loss, which they say is due to contention
    We get access to Neotel via Infraco fiber from Cape Town

You get complimentary Neotel SIP trunk number range
    ie 5 Mb/s package gets 2 SIP trunks = 20 DDI numbers
    15 Mb/s package gets 5 SIP trunks = 50 DDI numbers.

Certainly no Telkom SF71 forms to fill in hassle if you want DDI numbers
    with Telkom asking you where is the hardware ICASA license on the interface kit
    and where is your Telkom installer license if you want to install an Asterisk PBX
    Last edited by kilos; 09-03-2012 at 02:29 AM.

Thanks for the extra info. Data should not be a problem them. I was wondering about the up time and based on that info, will recommend we keep an adsl line active. Will probably get the 10Mbps. Sounds like most of the issues are not directly Neotel's fault - except maybe a call center...but then again which call center is actually any good :/

Super Grandmaster

We've got a 5 mbit/sec Neotel fibre link and very happy with it. Looking to cancel 2 of the 3 ADSL lines and up the speed to 10 or 15 mbit/sec on Neotel.

Quote Originally Posted by saliehendricks View Post
    Are there any other setup costs? What is the contract period and any mention of SLA uptime guarantee?
    Installation cost R1500
    1 Year contract

Hi

Please contact me on 011 5851108, yo further discuss.

Hi

You can contact me on 011 5851108 to further discuss

MyBB is pretty cool - I post about Neotels lack of service and I get instant service. Shouldn't be that way, but it is what it is.

NeoFibre 10Mpbs up/down connection scheduled to light up 1st June. Let's see if their infrastructure team has better service levels.

Purely on a bang for buck, this package competes really well with other business solutions out there. We reviewed bonded connections as well as an overpriced RSAWeb wireless link.

And let me also post the FUP guidelines for future clients. I think it may just attract a few customers. I dont know if this is for everyone or what but here goes:

Speed Mbps Max capable traffic (GB) 50% throttle @ soft cap (GB) Rate Limit(Kbps)
    1Mbps 300 150 512
    2Mpbs 600 300 1
    5Mpbs 1500 750 2.5
    8Mpbs 2400 1200 4
    10Mpbs 3000 1500 5
    15Mpbs 4500 2250 7.5

Prices can be viewed on their website. 10Mbps is around 9k incl vat.

You're giving away the secret sauce!

Quote Originally Posted by kilos View Post

Service Desk is very frustrating, trying to understand a foreign call center accent.
    Billing - just no end to get your bill sorted out by someone (email trails to wrap around the earth)
    Escalating calls to Service Desk Manager - does help if they cannot assist you

Speed is great, make sure you have a backup line as we have had the following: (6 months time)
    Not getting close to our advertised speed - took a couple of weeks to solve that problem, with plenty of speed tests from my side to prove them.
    2 fiber breaks, [one Neotel (offline 5 hrs) & one Infraco (offline 4 hrs)fiber being laid by DFA possible cause]
    1 configuration bungle (due to Infraco) which took us offline for 2 days

Plenty of packet loss, which they say is due to contention
    We get access to Neotel via Infraco fiber from Cape Town
    Hi there, looking at getting a 2Mbps line in our CT and JB offices mainly for the VPN between the two and then downgrading our ADSL as it will just be used for general browsing. Client and teleworker access will also be via the NeoBroadband fibre. How has your assessment of the service chaged in the last 6 months? Pretty much the same or better/worse?

Also interested in the Wimax service, specifically real world performance when weather gets bad etc to know what the performance will be when the network is under strain etc.

Put up a note on another thread for the same info

http://mybroadband.co.za/vb/showthre...s-please/page2
    Attention City of Joburg and its employees, you do not have permission to view this webpage, you will be charged for your malicious hacking crimes