Facebook   Twitter    YouTube    RSS Feed    Android App    iPhone and iPad App     BlackBerry App    
Subscribe to Newsletter

Thread: More Gautrain routes open

Default More Gautrain routes open

Ten of the 23 Gautrain bus routes are operational, the Bombela Concession company said on Saturday.

Spokeswoman Kelebogile Machaka said the Sandton to Midrand and Roseville to Johannesburg routes had been opened on Tuesday.

"We had an illegal strike at the beginning of February and about 300 bus drivers were dismissed and we had to close some of our routes. We are now incrementally opening routes as we train and employ bus drivers," she said.

Quote Originally Posted by rpm View Post
    Ten of the 23 Gautrain bus routes are operational, the Bombela Concession company said on Saturday.
    Strange, I thought they were never open on Saturdays or Sundays. That's the main reason I find the Gautrain system useless.. can't use it to go anywhere in the weekends.
    ...if life is going to exist in a Universe of this size, then the one thing it cannot afford to have is a sense of proportion.

-Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by TJ99 View Post
    Strange, I thought they were never open on Saturdays or Sundays. That's the main reason I find the Gautrain system useless.. can't use it to go anywhere in the weekends.
    Give it time this system is still very young

Super Grandmaster

+1
    Quote Originally Posted by TheGuy View Post
    New York has an impressive train system, It will take South Africa a couple of decades before we are on that kind of level.

Quote Originally Posted by Nokkie View Post
    +1

New York has an impressive train system, It will take South Africa a couple of decades before we are on that kind of level.
    Not talking about the trains. That's a whole different story. The busses. they don't work on weekends.

BTW: Comparing any part of SA to New York is a bit silly... We will never be on "that level"...
    ...if life is going to exist in a Universe of this size, then the one thing it cannot afford to have is a sense of proportion.

-Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by TJ99 View Post
    Not talking about the trains. That's a whole different story. The busses. they don't work on weekends.

BTW: Comparing any part of SA to New York is a bit silly... We will never be on "that level"...
    I agree, but only because we don't have 8 million people living on a small island not because we are not capable of it.
    If we were made from dirt, why is there still dirt?

They need to cheapen prices during off peak periods seriously. The pricing is so inflexible.

In my area I constantly see empty buses in the middle of the day.

They could learn something from the hospitality industry regarding occupancy.

Quote Originally Posted by TheGuy View Post
    Yes, there has never been a bus transport system anywhere in South Africa before the Gautrain buses, it must be incredibly mind boggling for Bombela and Mega Express to get their heads around this new transport concept and the logistics of running buses must be far worse than running trains.
    ATTENTION: Bloody dishonourable SCAMRAL agent and clones

Trying to bait me into replying to your troll posts is not going to work.

Super Grandmaster

Quote Originally Posted by j4ck455 View Post
    Yes, there has never been a bus transport system anywhere in South Africa before the Gautrain buses, it must be incredibly mind boggling for Bombela and Mega Express to get their heads around this new transport concept and the logistics of running buses must be far worse than running trains.
    You've never used Metrobus?
    #Occupy TK
    Quote Originally Posted by Dixie View Post
    Sometimes, I just love your mind...
    T A N S T A A F L

Quote Originally Posted by czc View Post
    You've never used Metrobus?
    Metrobus, relevance? This discussion is about Gaubus services, which I most certainly have used for some time, and let me tell you the Gautrain bus services suck donkey bollocks as I detailed in a thread here just a few days ago.

Super Grandmaster

Buzzz wrong!! there was a very good service in place and it was used very well by people but the crime, type of passenger, and goverment eventually ensured it wasn't safe or viable.
    ALL POSTS ARE IN MY PERSONAL OPINION
    "Pray for Our President Zuma and his party, Julius Malema, and Zimbabwean Robert Mugabe... Psalm 109:8".

Quote Originally Posted by boramk View Post
    I agree, but only because we don't have 8 million people living on a small island not because we are not capable of it.
    The main problem with Jo'burg is that everything is spread so far apart that makes public transport very inefficient when compared to cities elsewhere in the world of similar population

Quote Originally Posted by Hemi300c View Post
    Buzzz wrong!! there was a very good service in place and it was used very well by people but the crime, type of passenger, and goverment eventually ensured it wasn't safe or viable.
    If you read that post of mine again (the post you quoted), very carefully, and your name is not Sheldon Cooper, you should be able to detect just a hint of sarcasm.

Obviously there have been many bus companies prior to the Gautrain buses, my point was that bus transport is not rocket science and is not new to South Africa, and yet Gautrain / Bombela / Mega Express seem incapable of employing bus drivers that are qualified for the job and that actually want to work. As a commuter, I don't care what the bus drivers' problems are, yet they have delighted in making their problems my problems.

If you read that post of mine again (the post you quoted), very carefully, and your name is not Sheldon Cooper, you should be able to detect just a hint of sarcasm.

Obviously there have been many bus companies prior to the Gautrain buses, my point was that bus transport is not rocket science and is not new to South Africa, and yet Gautrain / Bombela / Mega Express seem incapable of employing bus drivers that are qualified for the job and that actually want to work. As a commuter, I don't care what the bus drivers' problems are, yet they have delighted in making their problems my problems.
    Bazinga

Super Grandmaster

Oops sorry! Did read again ;-)

THE BOMBELA Concession Company remained on high alert last night after one of its buses was shot at it in Midrand yesterday afternoon in “an act of intimidation”.

Spokeswoman Kelebogile Machaka said the company wasn’t ruling out the possibility that yesterday’s shooting was related to the recent illegal bus drivers’ strike over transport allowances, in which 300 drivers were fired. “We certainly won’t rule out that this may be related to the strike,” she remarked.

At about 2pm yesterday, a Gautrain bus driver on a route in Midrand stopped for someone whom he believed was a passenger, but the man fired a shot in the direction of the bus and fled. “Only the driver and two Gautrain security guards were on board. Fortunately they weren’t harmed and they have since had trauma counselling,” she said.

Police are searching for the gunman.

Last month, Gautrain drivers embarked on an illegal strike because they wanted the Gautrain bus operating company, Megaexpress, to provide them with transport to and from work every day.

But the company responded by firing the drivers. Some bus routes remain closed. “Even before the strike started, we increased security on our buses. We will remain on high alert and as far as security is concerned, of course we will remain vigilant,” Machaka added. In a similar incident last week, three men boarded a Gautrain bus en route to Sandton, pretending to be passengers, and intimidated the driver at gunpoint.

Pretoria News.
    ALL POSTS ARE IN MY PERSONAL OPINION
    "Pray for Our President Zuma and his party, Julius Malema, and Zimbabwean Robert Mugabe... Psalm 109:8".