Facebook   Twitter    YouTube    RSS Feed    Android App    iPhone and iPad App     BlackBerry App    
Subscribe to Newsletter

View Poll Results: Spectrum of theistic probability.

Voters
155. You may not vote on this poll
  • Strong theist

33 21.29%
  • De facto theist

17 10.97%
  • Leaning towards theism

7 4.52%
  • Completely impartial

6 3.87%
  • Leaning towards atheism

12 7.74%
  • De facto atheist

53 34.19%
  • Strong atheist

24 15.48%
  • Other

3 1.94%
Page 1 of 7 1 2345 ... LastLast

Thread: Spectrum of theistic probability.

Blog Entries

Question Spectrum of theistic probability.

In relation to this discussion.

1. Strong theist. 100 per cent probability of God. In the words of C.G. Jung: "I do not believe, I know."
    2. De facto theist. Very high probability but short of 100 per cent. "I don't know for certain, but I strongly believe in God and live my life on the assumption that he is there."
    3. Leaning towards theism. Higher than 50 per cent but not very high. "I am very uncertain, but I am inclined to believe in God."
    4. Completely impartial. Exactly 50 per cent. "God's existence and non-existence are exactly equiprobable."
    5. Leaning towards atheism. Lower than 50 per cent but not very low. "I do not know whether God exists but I'm inclined to be skeptical."
    6. De facto atheist. Very low probability, but short of zero. "I don't know for certain but I think God is very improbable, and I live my life on the assumption that he is not there."
    7. Strong atheist. "I know there is no God, with the same conviction as Jung knows there is one."

Okay, I don't want to say too much at this point, but I'd appreciate some pollage if anyone is inclined.

If 'other', please clarify, obviously.

Thanks.

Last edited by copacetic; 28-02-2012 at 12:44 PM.
    Behind every dark cloud lies the sun, waiting to boil you alive.

Oh look another labeling system for me to tell the world and myself what and who I am. Thanks Richard and copa.

Super Grandmaster

What would be the purpose of doubting theist (the non 100% in the spectrum)? It doesn't make sense, I realise such people probably exist or maybe live the Pascal wager. They'd still be screwed if it turned out there's God and hell.
    the nicest thing about not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise, rather than being preceded by a period of worry & depression

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by R13... View Post
    What would be the purpose of doubting theist (the non 100% in the spectrum)? It doesn't make sense, I realise such people probably exist or maybe live the Pascal wager. They'd still be screwed if it turned out there's God and hell.
    Interestingly enough, last time I asked this question on the forum, most religious folk said they were a 2 on the scale, prior to that, I'd have agreed with you, intuitively.

I do hope that a couple of add to the poll, I'm very interested in the results of it, for a variety of reasons.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Nick333 View Post
    Oh look another labeling system for me to tell the world and myself what and who I am. Thanks Richard and copa.
    If none of those apply, I'd be interested to know why.

You left out one : Complete Apathy - Apatheist

8: The existence or non existence of God makes no difference nor would make any difference to your life if either was proved.
    Abandon the search for Truth; settle for a good fantasy.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Nanfeishen View Post

8: The existence or non existence of God makes no difference nor would make any difference to your life if either was proved.
    I kind of view 4 as reflecting this view, to a point.

But, yes, I appreciate that this is a view not included, and thanks for commenting on it.

Quote Originally Posted by R13... View Post
    Thomas die Twyfelaar for christians?
    |Bebamos y divirtámonos que mañana moriremos.
    |Melior morior bellator, quam ago profugus.
    |Nemo saltat sobrius.

Also what about the view that there is a unifying force/energy, but without it being anthropomorphised...?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sinbad View Post
    Also what about the view that there is a unifying force/energy, but without it being anthropomorphised...?
    In my view, 'god' could be applied to any self-aware entity/process/force/energy/whatever.

If it's not self-aware (or otherwise indefinable), then I'd say a person supporting this view is an atheist by definition.

It very much depends on your personal conception of what the word 'god' might encompass.

Quote Originally Posted by copacetic View Post
    If none of those apply, I'd be interested to know why.
    I just don't see the point of this scale. You're either an theist or an atheist and we're all agnostic whether we think we are or not.

I just don't see the point of this scale. You're either an theist or an atheist and we're all agnostic whether we think we are or not.
    Finally, someone gets it I voted 6 - de facto atheist BTW. IMO the only two options that are applicable to anyone are 2 and 6.
    ಠ_ಠ
    <|>
    /ω\

Super Grandmaster

Quote Originally Posted by Devill View Post
    Thomas die Twyfelaar for christians?
    I have not idea who that is. Google returns a bunch of Afrikaans pages. Is he/she a prophet or something?
    the nicest thing about not planning is that failure comes as a complete surprise, rather than being preceded by a period of worry & depression

Blog Entries

This is about how people view the issues, not about whether they are technically correct in holding those positions.

*edit*

Judging by what you say here, I'm guessing you'd be an agnostic atheist?

All I'm curious about is if there is a place on the scale that describes the positions people hold, regardless about the rationality or correctness of that view, in itself.

Quote Originally Posted by Nanfeishen View Post

I'm not sure how 'I don't care' slots into theistic probability, but with 170 thread views and only 20 votes, it seems like 8 is the runaway favourite

Page 1 of 7 1 2345 ... LastLast