Facebook   Twitter    YouTube    RSS Feed    Android App    iPhone and iPad App     BlackBerry App    
Subscribe to Newsletter

Thread: Having problems with HTC Desire - please advise

Default Having problems with HTC Desire - please advise

Hey guys.

So, after roughly one year of ownership, my HTC Desire is starting to give some problems:

1. Dust is leaking into the screen from one corner, which is making the phone more and more difficult to read in daylight.
    2. There's a problem with the proximity sensor: it consistently fails to enable the screen after I've made a call, which often makes it difficult to hang up calls and causes me to waste airtime. (Incidentally, this problem has persisted across different ROMs, so I know that it's a problem with the hardware, not the software.)
    3. A more minor problem: the "back" hardware button has become a bit flaky and doesn't work 100% of the time.

Do you think it would be worthwhile to take in for a warranty claim?

In general, these are fairly minor problems. I can probably still live with the phone for another year. On the other hand, I wouldn't want to sell the phone or even give it away in this condition. And, I dunno, I also kinda feel I paid R5000 for this thing, and it damn well ought to work properly for longer than 12 months. Is that so unreasonable?

On the other hand, I have another problem. I've heavily modified the software on this phone. I've rooted it, s-off'ed it, flashed a custom recovery, installed a custom ROM, flashed a custom HBOOT table, the works. Obviously I would need to undo all of this stuff and roll back to factory settings before I take it in. I found this guide on the internet, which makes it seem fairly simple. Apparently all I need to do use the HTC sync software to install a factory RUU, and this will undo all my customisations and return the phone to factory settings. But then I'll lose all my apps, data and settings, and I'm still not completely certain they will actually be able to fix my phone.

What do you guys think? I'm especially interested to hear about the experiences of other people who have made warranty claims on their phones. Do you think the issues I've mentioned are serious enough to make a warranty claim? Will they be able to fix it? Will they fight with me? In the best-case scenario, is there any chance I might get lucky and get a replacement?

Also, does anyone have experience with unrooting an HTC Desire? Is there any risk that HTC might realise I've rooted my phone and deny my warranty claim even if I flash a stock RUU? I could use some advice here.
    Last edited by Vulk; 28-02-2012 at 12:41 PM.

I would take it in if I were you.

You can use titanium backup to backup all your software and then reinstall it later.

I don't have any experience with the Desire so can't help you to much, but I don't think they will know. I am in the same boat with my SGS, but I am just going to go to the stock and take it in when I get the chance.

Hope you get it sorted out soon.
    Engineering - this is where the semi-skilled workers realize the work of better minds. Hello, Oompah-Loompahs of science.

Grandmaster

Had problems with the screen not switching back on. Mine was rom related though.

Keys do get less responsive. There is an app you can use that creates a soft key overlay. I don't use it though since its not such a huge problem for me.

Your screen dust issue. No idea. I've dropped mine many times with only superficial damage.

I guess a warrantee return is an option. Why not create an image using recovery, then when you get it back you'll just have to root, soff, hboot, restore recovery image.
    I came. I saw. I concurred.

https://twitter.com/bitsyzd

Quote Originally Posted by nadimm View Post
    I guess a warrantee return is an option. Why not create an image using recovery, then when you get it back you'll just have to root, soff, hboot, restore recovery image.
    This seems like a pretty good idea, actually. I think I'll do this.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Vulk View Post
    Also, does anyone have experience with unrooting an HTC Desire? Is there any risk that HTC might realise I've rooted my phone and deny my warranty claim even if I flash a stock RUU? I could use some advice here.
    I have a RUU_Bravo_Froyo_HTC_WWE_2.09.405.8_Radio_32.43.00. 32U_5.09.00.20_release_140022_signed.exe file that I got from http://shipped-roms.com/index.php?ca...id&model=Bravo

All I needed to do was plug in the Phone via USB with debugging on and run it. The app did the rest and when it was done I had a Stock phone with S-OFF and all.

Just follow the prompts.
    .... and thanks for all the fish.

Nooo.... I ran the RUU without realising that I had to flash the downgrader from AlphaRev. Now my phone is screwed up. Sigh.

Okay, let's try to fix this...

Blog Entries

Nooo.... I ran the RUU without realising that I had to flash the downgrader from AlphaRev. Now my phone is screwed up. Sigh.

Okay, let's try to fix this...
    Is your phone booting to recovery or not? What problems do you have?

Quote Originally Posted by Elimentals View Post
    Is your phone booting to recovery or not? What problems do you have?
    When I tried to run the RUU, it got about halfway through the installation and then gave me an error message saying "The ROM Update Utility Cannot open the requested files or the files are damaged".

Now when I switch on the phone, I just get a black screen with a white HTC logo in the middle and four warning signs with exclamations in the corners.

I can't boot into fastboot or the recovery console.

I've tried running the RUU again and it gives the same error message. I've also tried downloading it again from the source and the same thing happens. Right now I'm downloading the same RUU from a different source, maybe that will work.

Blog Entries

When I tried to run the RUU, it got about halfway through the installation and then gave me an error message saying "The ROM Update Utility Cannot open the requested files or the files are damaged".

Now when I switch on the phone, I just get a black screen with a white HTC logo in the middle and four warning signs with exclamations in the corners.

I can't boot into fastboot or the recovery console.

I've tried running the RUU again and it gives the same error message. I've also tried downloading it again from the source and the same thing happens. Right now I'm downloading the same RUU from a different source, maybe that will work.
    Not good
    I was about to say try getting it from another source and make sure you check the md5 sum if there is one.

Okay, I realised I actually can execute fastboot commands from the black "HTC" screen.

I guess this means I can fix the phone after all...

So, just in case anyone is curious to hear the outcome of my story:

After flashing the alpharev downgrader, I was able to run the RUU, and reflash the device to factory configuration.

I took it to Vodacom and listed the problems I mentioned earlier. I also told them about an additional one that I forgot in this post (the phone gets very hot and randomly reboots every few minutes when I'm using it while charging the phone at the same time, eg. when using Google Nav while it's plugged into the car charger, or playing music through an external speaker while charging the phone).

They kept it literally two hours before they called me and said the phone was ready for collection.

I was pretty nervous; I thought somehow they might have realised I had rooted the phone and simply voided the warranty instead of fixing it. But no; they had opened the phone up, cleaned out the dust, and fixed the seal (according to them). They claimed that the other issues were "software problems" which they had fixed by reflashing the ROM. Obviously I wasn't going to mention that I already tried that myself, so I told them I would test it for a few days and see bring it back if the problems persisted. They said that would be no problem.

Anyway, the good news is that dust is out of the screen, and since they've reflashed the ROM there is no evidence whatsoever that the phone was ever rooted. My warranty is fully intact, and I can take it back to them for another repair. The bad news is that the proximity sensor issue at least is still persisting. I'll probably wait a couple of weeks and then take it back for another warranty claim.

In the final analysis, this whole episode has just confirmed my opinion that there are significant downsides to this business of rooting and installing custom ROMs. Yes, it's fun to be able to customise your phone on such a deep level, but the fact is that a) smartphones are incredibly expensive devices, and b) the likelihood of a smartphone developing problems within its two-year lifespan is non-trivially high.

As I've said before, my objective with my next phone is to get something that will work properly and provide a good user experience *without* having to be rooted. That's why I'm hoping to buy a Galaxy Nexus at the end of the month; I just need to see exactly the pricing is going to be on each particular contract.