Facebook   Twitter    YouTube    RSS Feed    Android App    iPhone and iPad App     BlackBerry App    
Subscribe to Newsletter

Thread: How to connect a wall plug to telephone wires?

Default How to connect a wall plug to telephone wires?

Hi guys,

I live in a complex and want to get ADSL as I'm sick of having a capped connection (and had uncapped ADSL before while living with my mom). According to the Telkom guy I spoke to the weekend the entire complex is already wired up at the exchange, it is just a matter of connecting the wall socket to the wires and activating the line.

As installation costs are so high I refuse to pay that amount for something I can do myself provided I know which wires are connected where in the wall socket. The wall socket I can get from builders so that is not a problem.

There are basically 6 wires: 3 white, 1 blue, 1 orange and 1 green. Can someone point me in the proper direction for which wires are connected?

I think this will happen everyone living in the complex where the wires are already run to a unit, but just require the wall socket which you connect the phone to.
    Quote Originally Posted by killadoob View Post
    Do you want to die? i can see linux users loading their shotguns as we speak

Blog Entries

It could be any combination, it depends what colours they used on the other side. But if I am not mistaken it should be the orange and green wires.

But it is not that hard to figure it our for yourself. Just hook up a telephone and touch various combinations of wires until you get a dial tone.

Quote Originally Posted by Garyvdh View Post
    It could be any combination, it depends what colours they used on the other side. But if I am not mistaken it should be the orange and green wires.

But it is not that hard to figure it our for yourself. Just hook up a telephone and touch various combinations of wires until you get a dial tone.
    Thanks for the input. That is exactly what I was thinking if I didn't get an answer from anyone.

Now I just have to phone Telkom and have them do the ADSL installation.

Strip 300mm of wire. You'll see that each white is paired with a colour. Use the Blue/White pair.
    Quote Originally Posted by PeterCH View Post
    Windows is ok in general, and sometimes it's necessary

Quote Originally Posted by Swift-wp View Post
    There are basically 6 wires: 3 white, 1 blue, 1 orange and 1 green.
    I should imagine that if you strip enough insulation back, you'll find that each of the white wires is twisted around one of the coloured wires, making up a pair. As Garyvdh has said, you'll need to look for dial tone: I'd suggest starting with the blue/white pair, then the orange/white and green/white. If you don't find dial tone, chances are the problem lies elsewhere, and a Telkom tech would probably be the best person to find that.

There should be a DB somewhere in the building, make sure that side is also connected. You could loop the pair and then buzz them out in the DB for easier tracing.
    entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem

What about opening a telkom account, being assigned a phone number, that number being assigned to a port in the exchange, the line to your house being assigned to that port. Putting a RJ11 socket in your house without the rest isnt going to achieve anything.
    CTWUG - Afrihost uncapped - 2500K - Dual Xeon E5320 - N40L

Quote Originally Posted by Drunkard #1 View Post
    Strip 300mm of wire. You'll see that each white is paired with a colour. Use the Blue/White pair.
    Jaa this is right . normally blue with the white mate they will be twisted together .
    If it walks like a duck and kwaks like a duck ..its a duck

Quote Originally Posted by Swift-wp View Post
    As installation costs are so high I refuse to pay that amount for something I can do myself provided I know which wires are connected where in the wall socket. The wall socket I can get from builders so that is not a problem.
    I also live in a complex. What I did was order the line first, then when the line was up I ordered the ADSL self install. Didn't cost me a cent.
    Can't be much different from your scenario. We have a Telkom cabinet (blue and green box) at the entrance to the complex. Then each house is pre-wired, the wires are hidden behind a blanking plate.
    Last edited by Captain Beer; 01-03-2012 at 08:04 PM.
    Intel 486 DX2 66MHz
    16MB RAM (4x4MB)
    Tseng 4000 1MB 256
    512MB HDD
    Creative Sound Blaster 16
    Creative Quad Speed CD-ROM
    14" Tatung VGA 800x600
    Windows 95

Thanks for all the replies guys. When I went to Telkom direct on Friday they said that they will still have to charge me the installation fee as the line has to be activated. I therefore have given up of connecting the point myself as they will do it as part of the installation.

To avoid the cost I chose the Closer 1 option and will just downgrade to a normal analogue line after 1 month. That saved me R500 and odd.