Facebook   Twitter    YouTube    RSS Feed    Android App    iPhone and iPad App     BlackBerry App    
Subscribe to Newsletter

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Spectrum allocation: use it or lose it in a clever way?

Default Spectrum allocation: use it or lose it in a clever way?

Spectrum allocation: use it or lose it in a clever way?

ICASA will introduce a new pricing structure for spectrum licensing that will affect all spectrum licensees

Screamer was hardly ever professional, I wonder how many customers they still have left. Ontop of everything else their prices are way higher than that of other wisps.

the risk posed by spectrum laying fallow.
    Fallow spectrum is not a risk, but a national tragedy. Camping on spectrum should be regarded as treason because it slows down national economic growth, therefore restricting growth in jobs and taking away people's livelihoods, and it deprives people of access to broadband, especially people living in marginal coverage areas.

The fact that this is the state of a national resource proves what a disgrace ICASA is. They will have to work hard to regain some form of respectability in the industry. Perhaps this might be a very small step in that direction....although the delay in explanation as to why law abiding citizens are being denied the right to get our rocks off makes me wonder once again. bleh.
    I don't pay taxes, I pay royalties
    Pieter Dirk Uys

What's this about giving Sentech prime 800MHz spectrum, whose bright idea was that?
    ATTENTION: Bloody dishonourable SCAMRAL agent and clones

Trying to bait me into replying to your troll posts is not going to work.

Quote Originally Posted by j4ck455 View Post
    What's this about giving Sentech prime 800MHz spectrum, whose bright idea was that?
    I would also love to know that. The way our DTTV migration is going and the date being pushed further and further away....I guess it would be a long time still before they actually have to worry about issuing that spectrum to companies that actually want and can make use of it.
    I don't pay taxes, I pay royalties
    Pieter Dirk Uys

Legal Expert: Telecoms

unfortunately you are spot on - does not like we will get things done by December 2013 when the 800MHz band is meant to be freed up so....

Quote Originally Posted by ocleroux View Post
    I would also love to know that. The way our DTTV migration is going and the date being pushed further and further away....I guess it would be a long time still before they actually have to worry about issuing that spectrum to companies that actually want and can make use of it.
    ---quantumplation---

Jan

the rules are all set - this is simply to explain to industry how ICASA will be applying them

regulations that set out the formulae for calculating fees are here
    ---quantumplation---

Quote Originally Posted by entrepr View Post
    Fallow spectrum is not a risk, but a national tragedy. Camping on spectrum should be regarded as treason because it slows down national economic growth, therefore restricting growth in jobs and taking away people's livelihoods, and it deprives people of access to broadband, especially people living in marginal coverage areas.
    Agreed! especially not allowing operators to resell the spectrum if they are not using it. This could support regional players.

Well Sentech is pretty much in charge of that spectrum now so it kinda makes more sense. At least DTT affects them directly then.
    Attention City of Joburg and its employees, you do not have permission to view this webpage, you will be charged for your malicious hacking crimes

Quote Originally Posted by Bern View Post
    Well Sentech is pretty much in charge of that spectrum now so it kinda makes more sense. At least DTT affects them directly then.
    Perhaps it's the wording, but I got the impression that skuttlebut is that ICASA wants to dangle an 800MHz platinum carrot in front of the donkey that is Sentech, and then do a bait & switch to get back the 50MHz bronze carrot that Sentech has stashed up its rear end. If the piece of 800MHz spectrum is really for analogue to digital TV and not another MyWireless scheme I have no objections.

Quote Originally Posted by dominic View Post
    Jan

the rules are all set - this is simply to explain to industry how ICASA will be applying them

regulations that set out the formulae for calculating fees are here
    Thanks, Dominic. I've updated the article to (hopefully) reflect this.

Perhaps it's the wording, but I got the impression that skuttlebut is that ICASA wants to dangle an 800MHz platinum carrot in front of the donkey that is Sentech, and then do a bait & switch to get back the 50MHz bronze carrot that Sentech has stashed up its rear end. If the piece of 800MHz spectrum is really for analogue to digital TV and not another MyWireless scheme I have no objections.
    I'd rather Sentech bugger about with spectrum that won't be available for another number of years (they will not have sole rights to it, just a piece) than wasting the spectrum they are currently sitting on now! With the ICASA use or lose rules possibly active by then Sentech will also be more likely to actually do something, that and gov pressure for their broadband coverage will be hotting up by then.
    Attention City of Joburg and its employees, you do not have permission to view this webpage, you will be charged for your malicious hacking crimes

Quote Originally Posted by Bern View Post
    I'd rather Sentech bugger about with spectrum that won't be available for another number of years (they will not have sole rights to it, just a piece) than wasting the spectrum they are currently sitting on now! With the ICASA use or lose rules possibly active by then Sentech will also be more likely to actually do something, that and gov pressure for their broadband coverage will be hotting up by then.
    Makes sense, I just hope that someone in government with half a brain cell decides to leave broadband to commercial operators and not have SoCs like Sentech waste any more tax money.

Makes sense, I just hope that someone in government with half a brain cell decides to leave broadband to commercial operators and not have SoCs like Sentech waste any more tax money.
    my understanding is that the operator of the wholesale licences would only be able to operate with an ECNS (electronic communications network service) licence, i.e. no ECS licence with which to provide electronic communications services to the public. ECNS licensees can only do business with other licensees.

agree with your general sentiment but at least this would not be mywireless part II
    ---quantumplation---

Quote Originally Posted by dominic View Post
    my understanding is that the operator of the wholesale licences would only be able to operate with an ECNS (electronic communications network service) licence, i.e. no ECS licence with which to provide electronic communications services to the public. ECNS licensees can only do business with other licensees.

agree with your general sentiment but at least this would not be mywireless part II
    I am confused - I thought an ECNS license allowed you to provision your own network AND sell directly to the public? Or are you saying this is the case, but for this spectrum they would not be able to? I would still rather get Sentech's 50Mhz in to a wholesaler's hands now who can do something with it and leave the 800 spectrum for Sentech to be dealt with whenever they get around to sorting out DTT (currently not by the 2015 due date). That means we could have LTE using 50MHz (read sufficient) in current coverage areas shared between various retailers meaning it would be worth buying/installing fibre to a much larger number of base stations. This means cheaper, faster mobile internet available over a larger geographic area. WIN.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast