Facebook   Twitter    YouTube    RSS Feed    Android App    iPhone and iPad App     BlackBerry App    
Subscribe to Newsletter

Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast

Thread: What do migraine packs consist of?

Default What do migraine packs consist of?

So what pills do migraine packs consis of? When i asked the pharmacist she said she's not allowed to, just out curiosity, i wanna try each pill seperately and see and see if it works instead of taking like all 6 pills.

Pain killers containing codeine and paracetamol, anti-inflammatory something-something, usually something to combat nausea... No single component will be as effective as the cocktail - drink the lot, your head will thank you.
    In the Age of Information
    ignorance is a choice

Quote Originally Posted by HapticSimian View Post
    Pain killers containing codeine and paracetamol, anti-inflammatory something-something, usually something to combat nausea... No single component will be as effective as the cocktail - drink the lot, your head will thank you.
    This^ - local pharmacy sells them for R7 per "kit". Well worth it!
    ELO: Here is the news...

Those things are amazing really, just lay down for 10 minutes after taking and its gone and you feel awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by MickeyD View Post
    This^ - local pharmacy sells them for R7 per "kit". Well worth it!
    WTF i pay R27

I am alive today thanks to gout and migraine cocktails.

Don't need either often, but when I do I will kill to get a hold of it. R15 a pop for either.
    ignorance is a choice

Quote Originally Posted by Endzeut View Post
    WTF i pay R27
    Bloom's - PE ftw!
    ELO: Here is the news...

Quote Originally Posted by MickeyD View Post
    Bloom's - PE ftw!
    Gauteng ftw rofl, jk

Quote Originally Posted by Endzeut View Post
    So what pills do migraine packs consis of? When i asked the pharmacist she said she's not allowed to, just out curiosity, i wanna try each pill seperately and see and see if it works instead of taking like all 6 pills.
    it is illegal for the pharmacist not to disclose what the contents of the migraine pack is. what if you have a seizure and end up in hospital. the doctor will want to know what you took and you won't know.
    1 out of 5 people suffer from loneliness. So, if you look around and you don't see the other 4 people, they're out having fun without you.

Quote Originally Posted by Celine View Post
    it is illegal for the pharmacist not to disclose what the contents of the migraine pack is. what if you have a seizure and end up in hospital. the doctor will want to know what you took and you won't know.
    Ummm... "a migraine kit"...?

It's pretty standard faire, and won't differ much from one pharmacy to another. As for the pharmacist saying she's 'not allowed' to disclose the contents - I'll grant you that's utter tolly.
    ignorance is a choice

Here is one kit that works well for me
    Migril
    Menograine
    Ibunate 200
    Norflex co
    Vit B Complex

1 tab each

Blog Entries

1 x Syndol (or Lenapain or Adco-Dol) = Codeine with Paracetamol = painkiller
    1 x Ibuprofen (Nurofen) = painkiller
    1 x Asprin (Disprin or Anadin) = painkiller = if you are allowed to take it.
    1 x Anti-nausea (such as Valoid) = because nausea is a common symptom of migraines.
    1 x Migril (containing Ergotamine) = vaso-constrictor
    1 x Muscle Relaxant (such as Nafasol/Naproxen) or Generic Voltaren (such as Panamor or Diclo-Hexal)

You can usually get all of these over the counter and make your own migraine kit.
    But do not get into the habit of taking it regularly - only for emergencies/epic migraines.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by wily me View Post
    Here is one kit that works well for me
    Migril
    Menograine
    Ibunate 200
    Norflex co
    Vit B Complex

1 tab each
    Migril = ergotamine
    Menograine = similar to Dixarit - should rather be taken one pill a day for the prophylactic treatment of migraine.
    Ibunate 200 = Ibuprofen same as Nurofen
    Norflex co = Orphenadrine for pain and muscle spasms
    Vit B Complex = Some studies have reported good success in treating migraines with B Complex.

Thanks, some good ideas there!

Quote Originally Posted by Garyvdh View Post
    Migril = ergotamine
    Menograine = similar to Dixarit - should rather be taken one pill a day for the prophylactic treatment of migraine.
    Ibunate 200 = Ibuprofen same as Nurofen
    Norflex co = Orphenadrine for pain and muscle spasms
    Vit B Complex = Some studies have reported good success in treating migraines with B Complex.

Thanks, some good ideas there!
    The pleasure to share is mine, the kit is compiled by a "non profit" pharmacy/Pharmacist that have a label printed with the contents on the kit bag @ R10/kit

When I have a serious attack I go to my Pharmacist for a Voltaren injection. Helps quick and seems to keep another attack at bay for a while. I must say that since I used the kit as listed I have not yet got to go for another injection.

I see your list contains Naproxen, such a good (but dangerous) product for general broad abnd ailments. I always keep some handy for Arthritis and muscle related problems

Some more info about the migraine kit for those that want to know more.

Migril (ergotamine, cyclizine, caffeine)
    Migril tablets contain three active ingredients, ergotamine, cyclizine and caffeine. Ergotamine is a type of medicine called an ergot alkaloid. It is used in the treatment of migraines.
    Although the cause of migraine attacks is not fully understood, it is thought that widening of blood vessels in the brain causes the throbbing pain of migraine headaches. Ergotamine relieves this pain by causing the blood vessels in the brain to narrow.
    Ergotamine works by stimulating receptors called serotonin (or 5HT) receptors that are found in the brain. A natural substance called serotonin normally acts on these receptors, causing blood vessels in the brain to narrow. Ergotamine mimics this action of serotonin by directly stimulating the serotonin receptors in the brain. This narrows the blood vessels and so relieves the pain of migraine headaches.
    Ergotamine also acts on other types of receptors found on the walls of blood vessels, called alpha receptors. This also causes the blood vessels to narrow.
    Cyclizine is an antisickness medicine which acts on the vomiting centre of the brain. The vomiting centre is responsible for causing feelings of sickness (nausea) and for the vomiting reflex. Cyclizine stops this area of the brain from receiving the messages that make it cause these reactions. It is included in this medicine to treat the nausea and vomiting associated with migraine.
    Caffeine is also included in this medicine to help enhance the effect of ergotamine
    http://www.netdoctor.co.uk/aches-and...es/migril.html

Menograine
    Each tablet contains 25 micrograms clonidine hydrochloride.
    Clonidine hydrochloride has both central and peripheral action on alpha2-adrenergic receptors. It reduces vascular responses to vasoconstrictor as well as vasodilator stimuli.
    http://home.intekom.com/pharm/lennon/menogran.html

Ibunate 200
    Each tablet contains 200 mg Ibuprofen
    Ibuprofen is a propionic acid derivative and has anti-inflammatory, analgesic and anti-pyretic properties.
    http://home.intekom.com/pharm/gulf/ibunate.html

Norflex co
    Orphenadrine (sold under the brand names: Norflex, Mephenamin, Dissipal, Banflex, Flexon, Biorphen, Brocasipal, Dolan, Norgesic and others) is an anticholinergic drug of the ethanolamine antihistamine class with prominent CNS and peripheral actions used to treat painful muscle spasms,
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orphenadrine

Vit B Complex
    The vitamin B-complex refers to all of the known essential water-soluble vitamins except for vitamin C. These include thiamine (vitamin B1), riboflavin (vitamin B2), niacin (vitamin B3), pantothenic acid (vitamin B5), pyridoxine (vitamin B6), biotin, folic acid and the cobalamins (vitamin B12).
    http://www.evitamins.com/encyclopedi...mplex/~default
    Last edited by wily me; 01-03-2012 at 08:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Garyvdh View Post
    1 x Syndol (or Lenapain or Adco-Dol) = Codeine with Paracetamol = painkiller
    1 x Ibuprofen (Nurofen) = painkiller
    1 x Asprin (Disprin or Anadin) = painkiller = if you are allowed to take it.
    1 x Anti-nausea (such as Valoid) = because nausea is a common symptom of migraines.
    1 x Migril (containing Ergotamine) = vaso-constrictor
    1 x Muscle Relaxant (such as Nafasol/Naproxen) or Generic Voltaren (such as Panamor or Diclo-Hexal)

You can usually get all of these over the counter and make your own migraine kit.
    But do not get into the habit of taking it regularly - only for emergencies/epic migraines.
    Dude... You're not supposed to combine NSAIDs at all, let alone 5 of them. The "muscle relaxants" you've got there are NSAIDs too btw. You've also got 2x vaso-constrictors, but that is comparatively harmless.

@Everyone...please don't mix & match to create new recipes. This isn't cooking school & there are no second chances (not counting liver transplants...). If it were safe to mix & match these things, the drug companies & doctors would have thought of it long before pharmacists & the casual consumer did. Promise.
    Man walks down the street in that hat, people know he's not afraid of anything.

Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast