Facebook   Twitter    YouTube    RSS Feed    Android App    iPhone and iPad App     BlackBerry App    
Subscribe to Newsletter

Thread: Canon EOS 5D Mark III Hands-on Preview

Default Canon EOS 5D Mark III Hands-on Preview

For those whose boat this floats - http://www.dpreview.com/previews/canoneos5dmarkiii/
    "Le mieux est l'ennemi du bien." FM Arouet
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." Edmund Burke
    "Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience" Unknown
    Ron White was right

Of course the elephant in the room is the question of resolution; will the 5D Mark III's 22MP offer enough in comparison to the Nikon D800's 36MP to prevent users switching brands? Canon appears to be confident that its users don't really need extra pixels anymore, and indeed don't want to put up with the processing and storage demands that come with them

When Nikon users were 'stuck' on lower resolution sensors, they'd all mention density and noise etc that comes with a packed sensor. But now Nikon have seriously upped on the MP stakes and Canon is remaining stationary on the MP ...

Amazing how this industry works
    http://www.riverbed.com/

Jägermeiʃter can fix that!

I have a sneaky that the new 7DMKII will be the new mega-MP and it will probably also be the new wildlife and BIF camera of choice now that Canon has discontinued the APS-H sensor. Just a feeling I have. Photokina will be a good one to watch for this.
    Why yes, my one eye is bigger than the other. Thanks for pointing that out.

Of course the elephant in the room is the question of resolution; will the 5D Mark III's 22MP offer enough in comparison to the Nikon D800's 36MP to prevent users switching brands?
    Sometimes I think that these people that have access to cameras and lenses of each and every make and model forget that switching is a costly pain in the butt for normal people who have "invested" in a system. The second you've snapped a photo your camera has lost value, the instant you remove the lens from the box it's lost value too.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." Edmund Burke
    "Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience" Unknown
    Ron White was right

Super Grandmaster

Quote Originally Posted by bwana View Post
    Sometimes I think that these people that have access to cameras and lenses of each and every make and model forget that switching is a costly pain in the butt for normal people who have "invested" in a system.
    That's because "mindshare" is disproportionately skewed in favour of a small group of photographers who are famous for being famous. Like a certain podcast host who makes more money from copyright litigation than his actual photography. Or the one who is famous for wanting to publish a million (mediocre) images before he dies.

Quote Originally Posted by bwana View Post
    The second you've snapped a photo your camera has lost value, the instant you remove the lens from the box it's lost value too.
    At least for lenses, that's not always the case. I sold my 18-200mm IS for more than I paid for it. Since prices of glass have increased quite a bit in the last few years, I'm seeing more and more 2nd hand lenses sell for more than they were new a few years ago. That said, I agree on the whole.

Quote Originally Posted by MadMailMan View Post
    I have a sneaky that the new 7DMKII will be the new mega-MP and it will probably also be the new wildlife and BIF camera of choice now that Canon has discontinued the APS-H sensor. Just a feeling I have. Photokina will be a good one to watch for this.
    I'd buy a APS-H 7D, maybe even instead of a 1DMk4. The 7D as it is has too much fail in it for me.
    Ron White was right