Facebook   Twitter    YouTube    RSS Feed    Android App    iPhone and iPad App     BlackBerry App    
Subscribe to Newsletter

View Poll Results: Please rate your Telkom ADSL 4Mbps connection on speed, stability and reliability

Voters
330. You may not vote on this poll
  • 5 – Excellent (much better than expected)

62 18.79%
  • 4 – Good (better than expected)

98 29.70%
  • 3 – Fair (exactly as expected)

89 26.97%
  • 2 – Bad (worse than expected)

54 16.36%
  • 1 – Pathetic (much worse than expected)

27 8.18%
Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst 12345 6789 ... LastLast

Thread: Telkom ADSL 4Mbps – Please rate your connection

Telkom Rocks - No problem whatsoever

Astounded at the amount of positive ratings. So credit to telkom. My line sucks and I fear being far from the exchange it will stay this way for a long time. Rated them 1.

If telkom wishes to improve, they can give me an option to improve my line stats by upgrading the ****ty cable and infrastructure that they have forced down my throat. Fix it - i will gladly pay.

I used to be happy with my line being smooth for about 8 months prior to a cable break where I was offline for last month.

Since coming back up my line's been horrendous: only syncing at 2200 (was around 6500 previously), download speeds hovering at around 0.1mbps - 0.5mbps (speedtest), downloads are dying, having to reload and reload sites. I have a call open with Telkom but it seems I'm being ignored as it's been a week with no communication or action already.

It seems that when its good its good, but when its bad its really bad.

During peak hours shaped to worse than the old USR Robotics modems -- congested line I think.

After hours not bad: > 400 Kbs local downloads (IS/etc).

I'm in Walmer, Port Elizabeth and the Telkom line is (surprisingly) stable. Although there were some initial problems (about 5 or more years ago). On a 4mb line, I can usually get around 340k download which I'm quite happy with.

Unfortunately, I am around 3k away from the exchange, and this area has not been serviced by 10mb lines yet. I think if Telkom could upgrade the local infrastructure and generally improve the lines and dslams, that would be great. I haven't seen any improvements in the last few years, although there is stability. And for me, stability is more important than improvements.
    “He who conquers others is strong; He who conquers himself is mighty.” - Lao Tzu

I have a 4 meg line with Telkom, but get about 3.2 meg if im lucky. I have never had any problems though, and upgrading the line was almost instant

I use the line mainly for development work and a bit of online gaming. I do experience lag from time to time, but am thinking of upgrading to a 10 meg line, unshaped account, in the hope to reduce some of the lag.

I have a 4mbps that is currently on 3mbps due to connection issues. In the evenings between 18:00 and 19:00 there are many more disconnections than during the rest of the day.

What would make it better is if I could get 4mbps with no disconnections. Telkom has been to our house and they cannot find the problem.
    Nokia 3310 >> Panasonic X66 >> Sony Ericsson Z600 >> Sony Ericsson P910i >> Sony Ericsson P1i >> HTC Desire >> Samsung Galaxy S3

Grandmaster

I'm happy with my 4mb line, but would be even more so if Telkom can get my exchange to handle 10mbps
    ADSL 4Mb & DG834GT | Ex-Iburst, Ex-Sentech
    MYBroadband.co.za - Your electronic condom against those unwanted telecom infections !

I am relatively satisfied although I did have problems over the weekend and it took 4 phone calls today to get sorted.

Their support staff are severely under trained.

Super Grandmaster

I'd rate it bad. Around 2Mbps is typical. I have to configure my router to use a high SNR margin to allow for the wide variation in noise on the line. Attenuation is high too. Telkom of course try to blame my internal equipment, router and wiring, but multiple routers show the same issue and replacing the wiring inside the house produced no improvement. I am not so much unhappy with the speed, but Telkom's attitude to finding the source of the problem. I'd be happy if I knew they'd done the best they could to make sure their side of things was as good as it reasonably can be.

Telkom 4 MB ADSL. Connection is stabile, generally good speeds of up to 420 kbps.

I am sure I will die still having a 4 MB line. Enquired about when we would be upgrade to 10 MB/s and got some generic answer. So who knows?

I'm in Noordhoek, Cape Town and find that Telkom 4MB ADSL is
    Stable
    Reliable and
    Speed is acceptable all in line with Telkom advertising of up to 4Mb

Overall satisfied with the line and service
    TonyA
    "Man proposes, God disposes" Anon
    --------------------------------

Seems that ADSL in the Fourways/Craigavon/Lonehill (JHB) area is really bad.

I am in Craigavon, and I average 0.3 Mb/s on my line, now and again I get a burst of 1.2 Mb/s. It has become much worse since the end of 2011. When I got my line in the beginning of 2011, speeds of 3.6 Mb/s were the norm.

There seems to be a lot of activity with new trenches down the main road, with what seems to be terminations in the ducting coming out of the ground onto a concrete plinth, right next to the existing Telkom boxes.

I hope the rumors are true that they are upgrading the whole area.

I have logged calls with Telkom about the slow speed, but they can't seem to fix it. I just think they have overloaded the exchange.

upgraded to 4Mb from 1Mb, great improvement. Using telkom ISP with 20GB cap

Initially my connection worked like a dream. Then about 1 year ago it degraded to a point where the connection is practically unusable during most of the day. When it rains the connection would not stay up for more than a few seconds. The services team has come out several times with no success. More recently my connection becomes unstable during certains times of the day then run perfect at other times... As if some intereference in the area... I have checked all my electronic device etc to eliminate something at my house that could attribute to the problem... Nothing improved. Considering downgrading to 1mbps as this appears to run more stable when the modem syncs to under about 1.5mbps.

Page 5 of 15 FirstFirst 12345 6789 ... LastLast