Facebook   Twitter    YouTube    RSS Feed    Android App    iPhone and iPad App     BlackBerry App    
Subscribe to Newsletter



Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 123 456713 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 205

Thread: Torrents vs. NZB

  1. #31

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by xrapidx View Post
    There is no way a 1GB rip will compare to a 15GB 1080p in a decent setup - I can easily see and hear the difference of a 7GB 720p and 15GB 1080p movie
    I can understand given your capacity the reasons you go for such large rips. I have to say though, I much prefer having smaller stuff with a little loss of quality (it is not bad by any stretch of the imagination) and having a lot more stuff, than going for just quality.

    Take 2 of my 2TB hdd's, one filled with avi movies and one with hd movies varying from 3GB to 20GB, I fit +- 2100 avi movies vs 250 or so HD movies. And to be honest, I much prefer 720p 4.5GB rips to 1080p 15GB since I don't notice much difference if any

    Oh and NZB's trump torrents any day of the week
    Cosmos II|Asus Maximus III extreme|i7 860 + V6GT|8gb Corsair Vengeance|128gb ssd|28TB|GTX 480|Corsair TX850W|RAT7 + G15|2494HS|X-530's|Liberty Lan - Garfield

  2. #32
    Super Grandmaster ponder's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    KZN Dolphin Coast
    Posts
    45,950

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nadimm View Post
    I currently use downstorm which is a paid torrent download service (R50 - 6GB).
    That's bloody expensive. News servers are MUCH cheaper, well Astraweb anyways but they are all more or less the same price.

    I can't stand torrents, NZBs are much better. When I can't find something that's old I try demonoid or pirate bay.
    entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem

  3. #33
    Super Grandmaster DrJohnZoidberg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Table View
    Posts
    13,552

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by robdutchmonkey View Post
    I can understand given your capacity the reasons you go for such large rips. I have to say though, I much prefer having smaller stuff with a little loss of quality (it is not bad by any stretch of the imagination) and having a lot more stuff, than going for just quality.

    Take 2 of my 2TB hdd's, one filled with avi movies and one with hd movies varying from 3GB to 20GB, I fit +- 2100 avi movies vs 250 or so HD movies. And to be honest, I much prefer 720p 4.5GB rips to 1080p 15GB since I don't notice much difference if any

    Oh and NZB's trump torrents any day of the week
    I would download way too much stuff for the time I have to watch it in if I downloaded SD. I already have a bunch of stuff that I still haven't got around to watching.
    Praise Zeus!

  4. #34
    Super Grandmaster DrJohnZoidberg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Table View
    Posts
    13,552

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ponder View Post
    That's bloody expensive. News servers are MUCH cheaper, well Astraweb anyways but they are all more or less the same price.

    I can't stand torrents, NZBs are much better. When I can't find something that's old I try demonoid or pirate bay.
    I have a small downstorm account which I use on the rare occasion when I can't find a nzb for something, but the space is too limited and can only really use it for small downloads. If I bought a bigger Downstorm account it would work out waay to expensive.
    Praise Zeus!

  5. #35
    Super Grandmaster
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Snorries
    Posts
    10,423

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DrJohnZoidberg View Post
    I have a small downstorm account which I use on the rare occasion when I can't find a nzb for something, but the space is too limited and can only really use it for small downloads. If I bought a bigger Downstorm account it would work out waay to expensive.
    Seedbox. Much better
    Quote Originally Posted by Rickster View Post
    Why is everyone going ape **** over this car, it looks like junk and the performance must be too.
    Quote Originally Posted by KSINGH View Post
    Oh no you didn't

  6. #36
    Super Grandmaster DrJohnZoidberg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Table View
    Posts
    13,552

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by froot View Post
    Seedbox. Much better
    Tried a seedbox for a month. It was an utter disaster so I still have a bitter taste in my mouth from the experience. NZB's fit my needs perfectly.
    Praise Zeus!

  7. #37
    Super Grandmaster
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    Snorries
    Posts
    10,423

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DrJohnZoidberg View Post
    Tried a seedbox for a month. It was an utter disaster so I still have a bitter taste in my mouth from the experience. NZB's fit my needs perfectly.
    Thing is you need a proper one. I share it with a friend or two so it runs me down R35pm...
    Quote Originally Posted by Rickster View Post
    Why is everyone going ape **** over this car, it looks like junk and the performance must be too.
    Quote Originally Posted by KSINGH View Post
    Oh no you didn't

  8. #38
    Super Grandmaster
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Previously this post ->
    Posts
    30,251

    Default

    Are public NZB sources as prompt with new stuff as private trackers?
    Every time you make a typo, the errorists win

  9. #39
    Super Grandmaster DrJohnZoidberg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Location
    Table View
    Posts
    13,552

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Fudzy View Post
    Are public NZB sources as prompt with new stuff as private trackers?
    I can't really compare the two because I don't know how quick torrent releases come out. but I can say that nzb releases are ready and downloaded the next morning (seeing that most shows air late at night for SA). Some or the not so popular shows will only be available the following day.
    Praise Zeus!

  10. #40

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DrJohnZoidberg View Post
    I would download way too much stuff for the time I have to watch it in if I downloaded SD. I already have a bunch of stuff that I still haven't got around to watching.
    True, but having a massive collection is wonderful as well knowing I can watch just about anything I want to whenever I want to
    Cosmos II|Asus Maximus III extreme|i7 860 + V6GT|8gb Corsair Vengeance|128gb ssd|28TB|GTX 480|Corsair TX850W|RAT7 + G15|2494HS|X-530's|Liberty Lan - Garfield

  11. #41

    Default

    I'm also with Downstorm and I love them. Must surely be the easiest means of downloading media. I don't play PC games, so 6GB is enough to get series, music and almost all 720p movies. Plus they have an awesome portal page where all new TV show episodes are available for download.

    I'd consider moving to NZB, but I don't know how much I would benefit, it seems like it would cost more per month, I have no idea how to use it and I worry that Mweb will shape it.

    Quote Originally Posted by ponder View Post
    That's bloody expensive. News servers are MUCH cheaper, well Astraweb anyways but they are all more or less the same price.

    I can't stand torrents, NZBs are much better. When I can't find something that's old I try demonoid or pirate bay.
    Just to be clear, it's R49 for 6GB of storage space. You can download as much as you want as long as you manage your space.

  12. #42
    Super Grandmaster
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Cape Town
    Posts
    28,820

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Fudzy View Post
    Are public NZB sources as prompt with new stuff as private trackers?
    I'm usually about 8 hours behind US series release times using Sickbeard.

  13. #43
    Grandmaster
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Cape Town
    Posts
    2,326

    Default

    NZB gets my vote.

  14. #44
    Super Grandmaster
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Centurion
    Posts
    5,482

    Default

    I've been using Usenet (NZB as you people seem to call it) for awhile now, if you got it all set up then it is certainly much faster and easier than torrents.

    You definitely need

    1. A good "grabber" app (download+extract etc) , i use NewsLeecher (not free, there are good free ones like sanzb, but i prefer the app over the browser interface thing sanzb have)

    2. A good news server , now Mweb / IS is generally pretty solid for most -new- stuff (if you are at those ISPs then it is obviously free and very fast) . I use Astraweb as backup for longer retention/rarer stuff, the main reason i use Astraweb is because you can buy once-off "per gig" download bandwidth (i.e. $10 for 180GB ) which never expires (as opposed to paying monthly at Giganews etc).
    Also remember 1000 days retention on these international servers are like YEARS we're talking about here, that implies you'll get pretty much anything (old stuff too) .

    I get like my full 3MB/s most of the time when download from a news server, so speed is pretty cool.

    3. The most important i suppose , get a NZB Search Engine / Indexer . Do not even try to browse Usenet manually, this is where people start to think Usenet is useless because they don't got a proper search tool . I use NZBMatrix , you pay a once-off fee of $10 to get full access , trust me it is worth it, primarily because people comment+review the stuff on it (as opposed to downloading blind and finding "cam" quality content). Free Search engines like BinSearch, they are "ok" but very frustrating, just get a proper one.

    4. Now if you throw in Sickbeard for Tv Shows....well then you got one hell of a well oiled machine going (in my case: Sickbeard search NZBMatrix and place the NZB in a folder where NewsLeecher picks it up automatically and then in turn downloads+extract it = completely automated)

    Either way, so i don't quite see where all the "expensive" stuff is coming from, i get easily 80% of my downloads straight off the local free news servers (mweb currently) and the rest was once-off payments for NzbMatrix,NewsLeecher and Astraweb (about $40 total like a year ago) .
    Last edited by diabolus; 03-03-2012 at 08:24 PM.

  15. #45

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by diabolus View Post
    I've been using Usenet (NZB as you people seem to call it) for awhile now, if you got it all set up then it is certainly much faster and easier than torrents.

    You definitely need

    1. A good "grabber" app (download+extract etc) , i use NewsLeecher (not free, there are good free ones like sanzb, but i prefer the app over the browser interface thing sanzb have)

    2. A good news server , now Mweb / IS is generally pretty solid for most -new- stuff (if you are at those ISPs then it is obviously free and very fast) . I use Astraweb as backup for longer retention/rarer stuff, the main reason i use Astraweb is because you can buy once-off "per gig" download bandwidth (i.e. $10 for 180GB ) which never expires (as opposed to paying monthly at Giganews etc).
    Also remember 1000 days retention on these international servers are like YEARS we're talking about here, that implies you'll get pretty much anything (old stuff too) .

    I get like my full 3MB/s most of the time when download from a news server, so speed is pretty cool.

    3. The most important i suppose , get a NZB Search Engine / Indexer . Do not even try to browse Usenet manually, this is where people start to think Usenet is useless because they don't got a proper search tool . I use NZBMatrix , you pay a once-off fee of $10 to get full access , trust me it is worth it, primarily because people comment+review the stuff on it (as opposed to downloading blind and finding "cam" quality content). Free Search engines like BinSearch, they are "ok" but very frustrating, just get a proper one.

    4. Now if you throw in Sickbeard for Tv Shows....well then you got one hell of a well oiled machine going (in my case: Sickbeard search NZBMatrix and place the NZB in a folder where NewsLeecher picks it up automatically and then in turn downloads+extract it = completely automated)

    Either way, so i don't quite see where all the "expensive" stuff is coming from, i get easily 80% of my downloads straight off the local free news servers (mweb currently) and the rest was once-off payments for NzbMatrix,NewsLeecher and Astraweb (about $40 total like a year ago) .
    Thanks for the helpful response. I don't think I'll change from Downstorm though, as R49 a month is cheaper than NZB, everything I want is on torrent, Downstorm has excellent service and fixes shaping whenever it crops up, allows me to download 200+GB a month and is super easy to use.

Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 123 456713 ... LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •