Facebook   Twitter    YouTube    RSS Feed    Android App    iPhone and iPad App     BlackBerry App    
Subscribe to Newsletter

Thread: Vodacom's app store....

Question Vodacom's app store....

So there was quite a big hoo ha about Vodacom launching it's own app store, but to be honest there are only about 20 apps available for a BlackBerry and last I checked for Symbian as well.

Why launch an App Store then? Why have it if you don't actively get developers to create functional apps. Why not create incentives for developers to create apps?

It seems to me like a waste of energy and money.

Any feedback Vodacom?
    Soli Deo Gloria
    Jesus loves you as you are, not as you should be.

|GeckoStretchTents|DomainCheap|I <3 Loot & Zando|

The appstore is there so that Vodacom can make money, they don't like the thing about google, RIM, nokia, making all the money by themselves. They want in too, that is why they probably blocked the android market on their netword which is kind of sad :/

But that is my OPINION about the money making, but it might just be true O_o

It can also be that they want to support local developers? Or control apps availible to users.

Strange, I can still use the android market on my phone?
    Seeking...

Oh, they probably unblocked it then, the block thing comes from a thread I read on myBB from someone complaining, maybe they changed it, my mistake

Quote Originally Posted by teraside View Post
    So there was quite a big hoo ha about Vodacom launching it's own app store, but to be honest there are only about 20 apps available for a BlackBerry and last I checked for Symbian as well.

Why launch an App Store then? Why have it if you don't actively get developers to create functional apps. Why not create incentives for developers to create apps?

It seems to me like a waste of energy and money.

Any feedback Vodacom?
    Vodacom has been engaging South African developers to develop localized apps for the portal and we have already had 1 million downloads from our app store. We currently have phase 2 of the project on the go too.

Quote Originally Posted by VodacomData View Post
    Vodacom has been engaging South African developers to develop localized apps for the portal and we have already had 1 million downloads from our app store. We currently have phase 2 of the project on the go too.
    As I said, there are almost no BB or Symbian apps available, so what platform is the 1 million downloads? Voda's own app? Which is a bookmark?
    Soli Deo Gloria
    Jesus loves you as you are, not as you should be.

|GeckoStretchTents|DomainCheap|I <3 Loot & Zando|