Facebook   Twitter    YouTube    RSS Feed    Android App    iPhone and iPad App     BlackBerry App    
Subscribe to Newsletter

Thread: Big improvement in Cell C speeds

Super Grandmaster
    Blog Entries

Default Big improvement in Cell C speeds

Got SIM last October, usual connection about 1 - 1.5mb/sec

For the past 3 weeks this has been 3 - 4mb/sec. However, it often stops dead for a few minutes at a time. Am using a Huawei E1820 with a TP-Link 3220 router

Cell C's call data call centre not too bad, compared with 8ta they are marvellous
    Things won are done; joy's soul lies in the doing

Quote Originally Posted by chrisc4290 View Post
    Got SIM last October, usual connection about 1 - 1.5mb/sec

For the past 3 weeks this has been 3 - 4mb/sec. However, it often stops dead for a few minutes at a time. Am using a Huawei E1820 with a TP-Link 3220 router

Cell C's call data call centre not too bad, compared with 8ta they are marvellous
    Cell C has put up a new tower in the area where we live (Plumstead - Cell ID 46243 for me -55dBm). BUT I get frequent disconnections (20-40 per day). I think you are having the same issue - 'stops dead for a few minutes'.

Super Grandmaster
    Blog Entries

That is most interesting. Is it the one on top of the building close to the Victoria Road bridge over the railway line? I see 3 cellular aerials there. If so I must re-orient the aerial, which is presently aimed at Constantiadale on the main road (this worked better for me than the one at the Total garage in Diep River

My router automatically reconnects - 95% of the time but sometimes I have to do a manual disconnect and reconnect

Thanks for the info

Is it the one on top of the building close to the Victoria Road bridge over the railway line?
    That sounds right. My signal strength increased when I pointed my antenna away from Diep River and more towards the Victoria Road bridge. I just hope Cell C does something about the frequent disconnections.

Super Grandmaster
    Blog Entries

I moved the aerial and the signal went from 61% to 74%. Speed remains the same, at 3.4 mb/sec. Ping is 155ms. I wonder what causes the disconnections? I think you live a bit closer than I to this new transmitter. I heard that the tennis club turned down the request to erect a mast at the back of the club next to the cemetry.

Edit on 6th March - I re-aligned the aerial using a map and a protractor instead of my wet finger.. and it now shows 77%
    Last edited by chrisc4290; 06-03-2012 at 10:02 AM.

Super Grandmaster
    Blog Entries

Geoff, I spoke to CellC about the frequent disconnections and they allocated service query 1151363 to it and took down my name and address. I will let you know what transpires.

Geoff, I spoke to CellC about the frequent disconnections and they allocated service query 1151363 to it and took down my name and address. I will let you know what transpires.
    Good. I have also submitted a complaint via email. They phoned me back very promptly, requesting more info, but I haven't got a reference number yet.

Quote Originally Posted by 1geoff99 View Post
    Good. I have also submitted a complaint via email. They phoned me back very promptly, requesting more info, but I haven't got a reference number yet.
    HI 1geoff99

Got your PM.
    Trying to get you TT number, will get back to you.

Regards
    ~AM~

Hi chrisc4290

Looked at that TT.
    They say site should be up and running.
    Asked some on in Core to look into it.

Regards
    ~AM~

Super Grandmaster
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Cell_C View Post
    Hi chrisc4290

Looked at that TT.
    They say site should be up and running.
    Asked some on in Core to look into it.

Regards
    ~AM~

Dear AM

Thanks. It has been running for about 2 weeks. I watched them erecting the hardware on this building, as I drive past there quite frequently. The main problem are the frequent disconnects. Fortunately my router reconnects automatically but if I look at the log, on a typical day there will be 27 reconnect attempts

Anyway, I will await a result from the request I made to have it looked at, so I am sure they will find the fault. Something not properly set up or a power supply problem? Who knows