Facebook   Twitter    YouTube    RSS Feed    Android App    iPhone and iPad App     BlackBerry App    
Subscribe to Newsletter

Page 1 of 4 1 234 LastLast

Thread: Hard drive pricing still high in South Africa

Default Hard drive pricing still high in South Africa

Hard drive pricing still high in South Africa

The word from local distributors is that hard drive pricing will remain high for the time being

Yup, that goes without saying....

My words exactly to someone this morning.

Wrong :
    Thailand is responsible for half of the worlds hard drive production.
    Its actually :
    Thailand is the world's 2nd largest producer of hard disk drives accounting for approximately 25% of the world's production

Source : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2011_Thailand_floods
    You can do something for love, you can do something for money, but there is nothing quite so satisfying as doing something out of spite - Jeremy Clarkson, 1991

Ok, who broke out the antique MFM drive?
    Neo-Luddite - Permanent Darwin award candidates
    Shaping Explained here
    Do you Oink! ?

SmoothOokerMaximus The_Librarian's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Kosmik View Post
    Ok, who broke out the antique MFM drive?
    hehehe
    Is the 10 Commandments for Christians?

Saturday is the Seventh day, Sunday is the first day.

VOTE #ROCK FOR PRESIDENT

The whole hard drive price hike is a price fixing scam. Realistically only WD prices would have sky rocketed and they would go bust. Samsung build all components themselves so I cannot understand why there prices tripped.
    You can do something for love, you can do something for money, but there is nothing quite so satisfying as doing something out of spite - Jeremy Clarkson, 1991

"The exchange rate for the beginning of September sat at R7.03 to the dollar. This skyrocketed to a peak of R8.52 in late November, before dropping slightly to current levels of around R7.55 per dollar."

I'm confused by the use of adjectives here. A devaluation of R1.49 is seen as skyrocketed but a increase in value of almost a Rand is seen as dropping slightly...

Ever the bad news for consumers here in S.A.Bet the stock pre-Sept flooding that was not sold by early Dec suddenly skyrocketed though it was bought pre-Sept flooding.I go with Rouxenator on this and declare a price fixing scam.And I bet even if the rand reached a range of R6-R6.80 we will never see "savings" passed on to the consumer.

Hard drive pricing is still high internationally, following flooding in Thailand that was described as the world’s fourth costliest natural disaster by the Work Bank.
    I suppose you meant "The World Bank"

Quote Originally Posted by siraman View Post
    Ever the bad news for consumers here in S.A.Bet the stock pre-Sept flooding that was not sold by early Dec suddenly skyrocketed though it was bought pre-Sept flooding.I go with Rouxenator on this and declare a price fixing scam.And I bet even if the rand reached a range of R6-R6.80 we will never see "savings" passed on to the consumer.
    We all saw this coming. Floods are over, "epic shortage" causing prices to more than double (LOL, like half the hard drives in the world miraculously disappeared) is gone, now local distributors are coining it since they're probably buying it for normal or close-to-normal prices again and they noticed SA consumers are suckers who would go on buying at these silly prices. Why make low margins when you can have close to clothing industry-levels?
    ...if life is going to exist in a Universe of this size, then the one thing it cannot afford to have is a sense of proportion.

-Douglas Adams

It was like a few years ago memory prices were high due to some earthquack or something other affecting a major assembly plant... but all memory went up, even with Rectron who have their own assembly plant in Midrand.
    How wonderful life would be: http://www.twitpic.com/151em5

Quote Originally Posted by jes View Post
    Hard drive pricing still high in South Africa

The word from local distributors is that hard drive pricing will remain high for the time being
    Time being,being time enough to fleece your as**s.Gosh!! What a load!!!

Blog Entries

Luckily I don't need to buy hdd's, I can always watch, delete and redownload later when I get uncapped(hopefully soon). I think one of the suppliers are going to crack soon and the market will get flooded with all the current stockpiles, prices will drop to the lowest levels ever.
    Quote Originally Posted by CrazyFig View Post
    Well, well, well....

I am sooooo pissed off I could punch a dolphin

I got a 2TB verbatim drive from Incredible end Sept @R1400, went back a week later and the same drives had new price tags stuck over the last price at R1800

Page 1 of 4 1 234 LastLast