Facebook   Twitter    YouTube    RSS Feed    Android App    iPhone and iPad App     BlackBerry App    
Subscribe to Newsletter

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 123 4 LastLast

Thread: Hard drive pricing still high in South Africa

I already reported about this long time ago : http://mybroadband.co.za/vb/showthre...ice-hikes-hoax

In short Thailand is not the be all and end all in terms of hard drives. Only WD should be heavily affected by this. Most Seagate drives are assembled in Malaysia or China. Thailand only has 25% of the HDD manufacturing business anyway.

This is a complete price fixing scam.
    You can do something for love, you can do something for money, but there is nothing quite so satisfying as doing something out of spite - Jeremy Clarkson, 1991

I am holding out buying a new PC due to harddrive prices...
    How wonderful life would be: http://www.twitpic.com/151em5

well u know SA business standards dictate non lube action whenever remotely possible
    When have you demonstrated leadership skills?
    "Well my best example would be in online video gaming. I pretty much run the show; it takes a lot to do that."

How are the international hdd prices?do yot guys mean this is a national level price fixing,or international level?

i was going to buy a 1tb hdd just as the floods hit.been waiting ever since.still using my 160gb.refuse to pay these prices!

Quote Originally Posted by HeftyCrab View Post
    i was going to buy a 1tb hdd just as the floods hit.been waiting ever since.still using my 160gb.refuse to pay these prices!
    Yeah, a mate of mine had his 640GB crash... and it was just out of warranty, then we looked at hdd prices... and I just donated him a 250GB cos the prices were just over the fence...

How can there be hard drive shortage if so many people simply aren't buying drives.
    I haven't purchased a single drive since the price hike.
    Hands up those who haven't purchased drives because of this.

Quote Originally Posted by PHOBOS View Post
    How can there be hard drive shortage if so many people simply aren't buying drives.
    *puts hand up*

But, the ppl walking in and buying single drives are a very very very very small portion of the market... its the DC's and big enterprises buying drives that unfortunately mean there is a shortage.
    Quote Originally Posted by Korn1 View Post
    I have been called a retard my whole life

Quote Originally Posted by PHOBOS View Post
    *hands up

Although I did succumb to the 2TB external hdd special at Game last weekend. R999 but no stock, of course. Forced them to give me a call back voucher - will pester them every day 'til it arrives.
    ELO: Here is the news...

*hands up, don't shoot *

Yeah, I've been deleting stuff I don't need anymore which is a good thing. And powering old 500GB and 300GB HDDs that are lying around to archive less important stuff

I'll be holding out until a 2TB HDD is back to under R700. Maybe will hold out till a 3TB HDD is under that

Its a pricing fixing scam from the word go - as I have said numerous times. Personally I will not be buying until it is R800 for 2TB again.
    You can do something for love, you can do something for money, but there is nothing quite so satisfying as doing something out of spite - Jeremy Clarkson, 1991

it should be 700 or less for a 2tb by now.

*hands up*

I did have to buy 2x 500GB for a client's server. But it was very reluctantly... and also her server had crashed something terrible.

Quote Originally Posted by jes View Post
    Hard drive pricing still high in South Africa

The word from local distributors is that hard drive pricing will remain high for the time being
    What prices aren't high?
    You only get one chance to piss off a client. After that they are an ex client ...

Blog Entries

The prices will come down to normal... The high prices were initially indicated as to last till middle of the year when the problems started. So expect it to level out by June/July... There is no honest reason it wouldn't.

R800??? I was paying 639 ex vat or close to that

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 123 4 LastLast