Facebook   Twitter    YouTube    RSS Feed    Android App    iPhone and iPad App     BlackBerry App    
Subscribe to Newsletter

Page 1 of 5 1 2345 LastLast

Thread: Religion forces science teacher to quit

Super Grandmaster DrJohnZoidberg's Avatar

Default Religion forces science teacher to quit

From news24.co.za

Cape Town - A science teacher at an upmarket Cape Town school has found herself at odds with senior staff over her desire to teach evolution in science lessons.

"I explicitly put teaching natural selection on the syllabus for the year; I made a three week slot; I came with practical experiments they could do. What I discovered was, I was the only person teaching natural selection," said a science teacher at a Cape Town high school who spoke to News24 on condition of anonymity.

She said that the teachers in the school's science department were mainly Christian and that she was reprimanded over teaching the scientific concept.

"We're talking about the head of biology, we're talking about the longest standing member [of staff] who's been there for more than 25 years and we're talking about the most recent member who was trained in a Biology area.

"What he actively does in class is he poo poos the idea [of evolution], he makes kids laugh at the idea of the age of the Earth as proposed by scientists currently. He poo poos the fossil record, he gives what he believes is counter evidence to carbon dating," she said.

Creationism

The theory of natural selection by evolution is accepted by science as the method by which species evolved to the ecosystem on the planet today, however, evangelical religious groups in the US have lobbied that creationism is should also be taught as a competing theory in science lessons.

"Sometimes the way science is reported and transmitted to the public may cause confusion. Another thing to bear in mind is that perhaps the world isn't that simple.

"Sometimes the world is very complicated it is difficult to communicate science to the public and the result is that some people have a negative view of science and then science communicators then bend over backward to try and accommodate people while they on the other hand, they know it is E=mc², it's not E=mc² plus baby Jesus," psychohistorian Auke Slotegraaf told News24.

For the teacher, she worried that the lack of competent science education hampers the learning of school students.

"I met a Muslim Biology teacher who refused to teach evolution and I met a Christian Geography teacher who refused to teach plate tectonics.

"They [the children] have no understanding of evolution by natural selection," she said.

Parents who had been made aware of the teacher's lesson plans had apparently also told their children to dismiss the teacher's lessons.

Defensive

"One kid told me that his dad had already told him that he was to ignore everything that I said about evolution because it was a load of nonsense. The parents are preparing them to reject it."

Conservative attitudes have forced many in science into being on the defensive and the teacher said that since leaving the school, her lot has not improved.

"I'm constantly on the defensive. In fact, my life has got even more interesting now because I've joined a school that's a cult. They believe that their leader has insight and he believes that the entire solar system was created for human beings, and that animals and plants are the rejected parts of what would've been the human body that don't belong, and the last thing to be rejected was bacteria.

"And don't bother that the fossil record goes the other way round because he had these insights through his spiritual and meditative journeys. So now I find myself out of the frying pan into the fire."
    This makes me sad
    Praise Zeus!

At the centre of my bubble of perception.

I subscribe to the current postulations about evolution ... 100%. Which I regard as proof enough to be a uncontestable issue.

Some religious folk are misreading the bible.
    Last edited by Picard; 06-03-2012 at 09:39 PM.
    Twinkle, twinkle little star
    Wat de donner soek jy daar?

The poster previously known as Qwikslver Chevron's Avatar

This should not be happening. People need to get fired. Truly disgusting.

"One kid told me that his dad had already told him that he was to ignore everything that I said about evolution because it was a load of nonsense. The parents are preparing them to reject it."
    What is sad is that parents will pass on this mind-set to their kids and the cycle continues.
    DEL PythonFSi

Nothing new. When I went to school (7 years back) "Goddidit" was the norm.

Master

This was posted in current affairs already.

So I'll just post my reply on there here and maybe expand on it a bit.

The ambiguity surrounding evolution, it's complexity, and the way a lot of adults misunderstand it, leads me to believe it shouldn't be taught at school level, though possibly introduced very basically.

If a teacher doesn't fully understand evolution nor are able to explain the complex nature of it, it would just leave the children scratching their heads. The children will then graduate from school believing in evolution because scientist said it, which is no different then god did/said it.

I will say it again, evolution flies over the head of most adults and I'm certain most children won't grasp it when taught to them. What we will be left with is evolution being taught on a very simplistic level which possibly isn't true. Such as I was taught as a child that a whale started out as a small land animal and grew larger over time and eventually became a whale. It's simplistic. Possibly true, but not necessarily.

It's only when you set your heart and mind on studying evolution, then and only then could you grasp and understand and teach it.
    If the world is round;
    live as if it is round.
    If it is not;
    live as if it is not.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Johnone View Post

The ambiguity surrounding evolution, it's complexity, and the way a lot of adults misunderstand it, leads me to believe it shouldn't be taught at school level, though possibly introduced very basically.

If a teacher doesn't fully understand evolution nor are able to explain the complex nature of it, it would just leave the children scratching their heads. The children will then graduate from school believing in evolution because scientist said it, which is no different then god did/said it.

I will say it again, evolution flies over the head of most adults and I'm certain most children won't grasp it when taught to them. What we will be left with is evolution being taught on a very simplistic level which possibly isn't true. Such as I was taught as a child that a whale started out as a small land animal and grew larger over time and eventually became a whale. It's simplistic. Possibly true, but not necessarily.

It's only when you set your heart and mind on studying evolution, then and only then could you grasp and understand and teach it.
    Just because you dont understand it does not mean it should not be taught. Im sure there are a lot of subjects you dont understand. Thats hardly enough reason not to teach it. Another thing, evolution is not hard to understand. If kids are taught correctly it is easy for them to get. There is no ambiguity. Only some siff religious people who lie about it the whole time.

Children in high school have no problem learning it. Disgusting teachers with religious agenda`s should be removed from our schools.
    "To live is the rarest thing in the world. Most people exist. That is all..." - Oscar Wilde

Horsepoop.

Master

Quote Originally Posted by ghoti View Post
    Just because you dont understand it does not mean it should not be taught. Im sure there are a lot of subjects you dont understand. Thats hardly enough reason not to teach it. Another thing, evolution is not hard to understand. If kids are taught correctly it is easy for them to get. There is no ambiguity. Only some siff religious people who lie about it the whole time.

Children in high school have no problem learning it. Disgusting teachers with religious agenda`s should be removed from our schools.
    ghoti said it, so it must be true.

So, enlighten me oh wise one. Teach me evolution, and teach me how to teach other evolution so that they may become like ghoti.
    If the world is round;
    live as if it is round.
    If it is not;
    live as if it is not.

Master

Quote Originally Posted by unskinnybob View Post
    Horsepoop.
    You do know this is PD section, right? The place where you can provide a counter opinion and correct me on where I am wrong.
    If the world is round;
    live as if it is round.
    If it is not;
    live as if it is not.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonone

Please man... did you read the article... the teachers were leaving out important parts of the syllabus, never mind the evolution stuff.

Our entire understanding of the Biology of the world is based on evolution, you can't just glance over it. Rather don't do the subject.
    "What can be asserted without proof can be dismissed without proof." ~ Christopher Hitchens

My idea of "Help from above" is a sniper on a roof.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by unskinnybob View Post
    Horsepoop.
    Jibber jabber
    Quote Originally Posted by CrazyFig View Post
    Well, well, well....

I am sooooo pissed off I could punch a dolphin

Blog Entries

Well its a lot better than just going goddidit. So yea even if its very simple and basic it does form a hell of a better basis for people to expand on if they ever need to.

PS if you really interested in how wales ended up in water check out http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evolution_of_cetaceans
    .... and thanks for all the fish.

Blog Entries

ghoti said it, so it must be true.
    Weasel words

So, enlighten me oh wise one. Teach me evolution, and teach me how to teach other evolution so that they may become like ghoti.
    You going to pay me? My currently hourly rate is R700. Schedule with me and I will be happy to teach you. If you can not afford me, there is nothing wrong with the wikipedia entry. It is very understandable. Perhaps to save time and money, if there is something you DONT understand on the wiki article, you let me know and Ill be happy to aid you.
    "To live is the rarest thing in the world. Most people exist. That is all..." - Oscar Wilde

Master

Quote Originally Posted by Nerfherder View Post
    Please man... did you read the article... the teachers were leaving out important parts of the syllabus, never mind the evolution stuff.

Our entire understanding of the Biology of the world is based on evolution, you can't just glance over it. Rather don't do the subject.
    I did read the article. And am not saying anything against it. The teacher shouldn't be force to quit over teaching the syllabus.

Because this is in PD, I am talking about evolution being taught in general in all schools. So my comment is directed to the teaching of it in schools in general.
    If the world is round;
    live as if it is round.
    If it is not;
    live as if it is not.

Page 1 of 5 1 2345 LastLast