Facebook   Twitter    YouTube    RSS Feed    Android App    iPhone and iPad App     BlackBerry App    
Subscribe to Newsletter

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Religion forces science teacher to quit

The poster previously known as Qwikslver Chevron's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lycanthrope View Post
    I think the truth of it is a far more daunting prospect for them to accept: we stopped believing because there was nothing to believe in.

I didn't "reject" anything because there was nothing to "reject."

For me it was a gradual process. I stopped trying to madly cling to it; I stopped trying to filter reality through a kaleidoscope of interpretation and instead became an objective person who grew up and started finding explanations as opposed to inserting a fundamentally flawed variable at every opportunity.

I realised that some of us grow up and get rid of Santa Claus, others just grow older and never learn how to get rid of that safety blanket, or live without their training wheels.

That's my own interpretation and experience with how our psyches develop.
    Same thing happened to me.

Probably kicked off by Jurrasic Park though as I went to read where they came from and how they died.

Master

Quote Originally Posted by Lycanthrope View Post
    I completely agree.

In fact, over time I've realised something about people: people are good despite religion.

There is an innate evil in some people that causes them to twist anything to suit their agendas. A good person manages to do good regardless of what other people tell them, or try to convince them of.

I don't know why some people turn out to be good people and why others are filth, but I do know that religion corrupts and only the strong can wear its mantle and remain good and shrug off the ignorance and bigotry it instils.

Which is why I have a tremendous respect for the good religious folk out there and they are unfortunately few and far between. I think they're in a constant battle with their own morality and what other people tell them should be their morality.

Also, to clarify, I consider someone to be "good" when their morality eschews the harm or discrimination of others and promotes compassion.

And yes, I'm feeling terribly hippy tonight
    I completely agree that a fish doesn't see the water it swims in.
    If the world is round;
    live as if it is round.
    If it is not;
    live as if it is not.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnone View Post
    I completely agree that a fish doesn't see the water it swims in.
    I'm pretty certain the species that leap from the water to avoid predators do.
    Delta Motor Corporation of South Africa Opel Monza 160i GSi Car of the Year 1991
    Historical Significance

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by porchrat View Post
    I'm pretty certain the species that leap from the water to avoid predators do.
    Don't now why but that statement brought a smile to my face.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345