Facebook   Twitter    YouTube    RSS Feed    Android App    iPhone and iPad App     BlackBerry App    
Subscribe to Newsletter

Thread: HELP WITH IT APTITUDE TEST

Default HELP WITH IT APTITUDE TEST

Hi guys!

Been invited to come write an IT aptitude test which is a prerequisite to get into a learnership program with BBD. Can you guys advise on what one can expect from the test? The test is said to be five hours long. I have never been invited to write such, im anxious as this learnership would mean much to me

Thanks, B

I did one recently. Mine was a series of tests and the mix largely depend on what position you are being assessed for and what your company's HR asked them to include - i.e. Personality, Leadership, Integrity etc.
    You can’t really prepare for it. The most one can do, is to google around and look at few samples. Make sure that you are well rested before the test(mine took 9h with only a 30min break) and pay attention to every instruction that you receive.

Are this tests legal in South Africa? Mind you, after been banned for 15 years, the police have reintroduced them once again. Slowly but surely we are going back to the old ways.

Completely legitimate. There were about 10 people that went through different test throughout the day - some very quick others like me not so quick.

Just go do the test .
    entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem

Quote Originally Posted by intel8080 View Post
    Are this tests legal in South Africa? Mind you, after been banned for 15 years, the police have reintroduced them once again. Slowly but surely we are going back to the old ways.
    You mean, you don't think people should be tested on their abilities but just get the jobs regardless?

@OP: It's an aptitude test. You either know enough to pass it or you don't (and if you don't you wouldn't have been able to do the job anyway)
    If you want to be happy for the rest of your life, don't make a yoga instructor your wife!

As Hamster said, it's either something you can do or not. Not sure on what level it is but most initial IT aptitude tests, test your ability to think logicaly, problem solve and breakdown issues into managebale components.
    Neo-Luddite - Permanent Darwin award candidates
    Shaping Explained here
    Do you Oink! ?

I'd think twice before joining BBD. A few of my friends says its a real sweat shop, and they don't value their devs. I was also invited for the test, but turned them down

Oh, and apparently the aptitude tests are quite difficult

Quote Originally Posted by Roxi_B4b3 View Post
    I'd think twice before joining BBD. A few of my friends says its a real sweat shop, and they don't value their devs. I was also invited for the test, but turned them down

Oh, and apparently the aptitude tests are quite difficult
    I work for BBD and our projects are difficult and everyone works hard - leaders and devs alike. Those that put in the effort gets rewarded.

Your friends are entitled to their opinion but should probably be placed in context. How long did your friends work here? 3 months, maybe 6? These are not your average clients and projects and certainly not your average cushy 9 to 5 job.
    If you want to be happy for the rest of your life, don't make a yoga instructor your wife!

Hi guys!

Update; i didn't make it ...sadly but have been called in again for another test. I really am not sure how to feel about this but i will use the first experience to learn. Hopefully i make it through this time around. The first round was a learnership now i have been invited for the internship. I guess the test would be the same so i will prepare based on the learnership test.

Thank you so much for your contribution to the thread.

...i must also add, it is a mission getting recognition and i have always thought i'd never have to struggle to get a job. But i guess all things come with time and one just has to keep on applying.