Facebook   Twitter    YouTube    RSS Feed    Android App    iPhone and iPad App     BlackBerry App    
Subscribe to Newsletter

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 123 4 LastLast

Thread: S.A goes big on nuclear

Quote Originally Posted by HeftyCrab View Post
    Does anybody reckon whether we will get any problems about wanting to enrich our own uranium?its not like we want to attack the USA.or could there be problems because it looks like were siding with china?
    SA is the only country to have voluntarily dismantled its nuclear weapons program, and also does not start wars with other countries.
    Due to this, nobody treats us with suspicion for wanting to enrich uranium.

Besides, with the ANC in charge any weapons program will likely be staffed with incompetent people, and they will hit Zim while trying to aim for USA

Quote Originally Posted by Guantanamo View Post
    South Africa is about as geographically stable as a country can be.
    This.
    SA is unlikely to experience earthquakes or a tsunami like Japan had to endure. The greatest disaster we have here is the ANC.

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
    ....... The greatest disaster we have here is the ANC.
    That's a true understatement

Quote Originally Posted by Guantanamo View Post
    This is not a good thing, but a brilliant thing. South Africa is about as geographically stable as a country can be. We have a large Uranium exporter right next door in Namibia and our own Uranium deposits. We are low on power and nuclear is about the most efficient method of producing power in the world right now. It only gives off steam and not sulphur dioxide like the coal plants do. The sulphur dioxide is a huge contributor to acid rain, soil erosion, respiratory problems and other issues plaguing Mpumalanga where the majority of our coal plants are. Building these plants will allow us to scale back on the use of those plants and even possibly allowing us to shut them down. It will create jobs and a cleaner atmosphere. It will also allow us to export a greater % of our coal production, leading to more income for SA. To put nuclear energy efficiency into perspective a golf ball sized piece of enriched uranium can provide as much power as 15 train loads of coal*.

*Figure probably not entirely accurate as it was something I read a long time ago while doing some research for a project.
    +1.

Grandmaster

Only 39 nuclear workers die on the job annually, compared to 6400 coal workers.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nuclear...nt#Comparisons

Of course, as with anything, all figures are relative to specific scenarios and a specific area and time in which the study was conducted.
    Last edited by AniV; 12-03-2012 at 01:43 PM.

Just wish they can start building already. Locations of these plants will be one of the main factors going forward.
    MY BLOED IS BLOU!
    Kick SANRAL in the gantries! DO NOT REGISTER OR BUY E-TAGS!
    http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/profile/Vrotappel-2351/

Blog Entries

The sooner they start building, the better.
    "To live is the rarest thing in the world. Most people exist. That is all..." - Oscar Wilde

Grandmaster

Anyone else hear the story about Eskom hesitating to release info on how much radiation Koeberg lets loose etc etc? DJ Fresh of 5fm was talking about it yesterday on my drive home from work...
    Luck is not random; it is attracted to those who work hard. Sweat, Blood and tears are the ingredients of a champion - Mike Tyson

Quote Originally Posted by carstensdj View Post
    Anyone else hear the story about Eskom hesitating to release info on how much radiation Koeberg lets loose etc etc? DJ Fresh of 5fm was talking about it yesterday on my drive home from work...
    I'd also be nervous releasing radiation info. The media and assorted greenie-fanatics get hysterical about radiation levels that are harmless. There are ordinary cities on earth where the natural background radiation is higher than 100m from the Fukushima meltdown. I can just imagine the panic headlines for every minor vent...

Grandmaster

Quote Originally Posted by Arthur View Post
    I'd also be nervous releasing radiation info. The media and assorted greenie-fanatics get hysterical about radiation levels that are harmless. There are ordinary cities on earth where the natural background radiation is higher than 100m from the Fukushima meltdown. I can just imagine the panic headlines for every minor vent...
    Mmmm, very good point!

From what i heard, it was an environmental group that was concerned about dumping that Koeberg does, AFAIK
    Luck is not random; it is attracted to those who work hard. Sweat, Blood and tears are the ingredients of a champion - Mike Tyson

Super Grandmaster

Oh no. More anti-nuclear fearmongering. Nuclear is the best way to generate electricity. What else would you prefer?
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheri_N View Post
    Wanna shag Skootvreter? Oh God, before you answer that question... why Skootvreter?
    View the epicness here --->

Quote Originally Posted by Slootvreter View Post
    Oh no. More anti-nuclear fearmongering. Nuclear is the best way to generate electricity. What else would you prefer?
    I wouldn't be surprised.

You can't argue facts with these sorts of people. Their anti-nuclear position is a priori, so no subsequent data can change their minds. The only way is for them to have a conversion experience and see the folly of their ways.

Anyone have any idea where these new plants will be located? Pure speculation on my part:

* Possibly two other reactors near Koeberg
    * Southern Cape (near Mossgas?)
    * Upcoast from PE
    * North Coast (just south of Richard's Bay)
    * ... mabe one or perhaps two inland for Gauteng...?

Update:
    Potential sites:
    1) More at Koeberg
    2) Thyspunt, near Jeffrey's Bay (18 km SSW of Humansdorp)
    3) Bantamsklip, Southern Cape
    4) Brazil, near Kleinzee in the Namakwa district, Northern Cape. Approx 85km west of Springbok
    5) Schulpfontein, N Cape Atlantic coast, near Hondeklipbaai
    Last edited by Arthur; 13-03-2012 at 04:18 PM.

Grandmaster

Quote Originally Posted by alf101 View Post
    We can't get hit by a tsunami here.
    How so?

Quote Originally Posted by Arthur View Post
    Update:
    Potential sites:
    1) More at Koeberg
    2) Thyspunt, near Jeffrey's Bay (18 km SSW of Humansdorp)
    3) Bantamsklip, Southern Cape
    4) Brazil, near Kleinzee in the Namakwa district, Northern Cape. Approx 85km west of Springbok
    5) Schulpfontein, N Cape Atlantic coast, near Hondeklipbaai
    we've got plenty of coastline with very little surrounding population.
    finding a location should be a cakewalk compared to the ultra high density issues of locations in japan.
    personally, i'm against old-school nuclear. organic nuclear ftw.
    http://jimunro.blogspot.com/2008/06/...ar-energy.html
    The causes of human actions are usually immeasurably more complex and varied than our subsequent explanations of them. Fyodor Dostoevsky - The Idiot

Quote Originally Posted by carstensdj View Post
    How so?
    japan is on the pacific rim.
    we aren't near any significant tectonic activity and haven't experienced any significant activity in recorded history. there was a minor earthquake or tremor in cape town once.
    thus the most likely cause of a tsunami would come from an asteroid splashdown.
    the most likely cause of this would be the possible collision with apophis in 2030 odd, but that would only affect the west coast of the usa.
    even then you need to bear in mind that of all the reactors in japan, given a direct tsunami and an earthquake and old technology, there were no deaths afaik.

if we were to be blindsided by and earthquake and tsunami big enough to take out a nuclear reactor, the nuclear fallout over the namib desert or mozambican channel would be the last thing to worry about.
    The causes of human actions are usually immeasurably more complex and varied than our subsequent explanations of them. Fyodor Dostoevsky - The Idiot

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 123 4 LastLast