Facebook   Twitter    YouTube    RSS Feed    Android App    iPhone and iPad App     BlackBerry App    
Subscribe to Newsletter

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: S.A goes big on nuclear

Grandmaster

Can you imagine the kickbacks on this sort of deal. Where do I sign up?
    WaggleSoft - Quality Document Management and Imaging systems

Grandmaster

Quote Originally Posted by murraybiscuit View Post
    we aren't near any significant tectonic activity and haven't experienced any significant activity in recorded history. there was a minor earthquake or tremor in cape town once.
    You mean like the "little" 6.3 incident that basically tore the whole of Tulbagh apart in 1969?

Go read this:
    http://www.stormchasing.co.za/articl...969-earthquake
    Last edited by carstensdj; 13-03-2012 at 05:05 PM.
    Luck is not random; it is attracted to those who work hard. Sweat, Blood and tears are the ingredients of a champion - Mike Tyson

One swallow does not a summer make, and one earthquake shows you where not a nuclear reactor to place. Plus it probably gets its power from Koeberg anyway. One reactor in each province could probably power most of the country pretty efficiently. It just depends on distances (N.Cape would be tough for eg but Gauteng would be easy if you stick a station in the NW or Mpumalanga close to Gautengs borders)
    "The only things that are infinite are the universe and human stupidity, and im not sure about the former"
    Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Arthur View Post
    I'd also be nervous releasing radiation info. The media and assorted greenie-fanatics get hysterical about radiation levels that are harmless. There are ordinary cities on earth where the natural background radiation is higher than 100m from the Fukushima meltdown. I can just imagine the panic headlines for every minor vent...
    And what everyone conveniently doesnt know, is that during normal day to day operation, coal power plants release far more radioactive materials into the atmosphere than a nuclear power plant.

But nookleeur, eet iz 2 dainjerus!! Everyone panic!!
    GPU Charts: Updated 26/03/12
    Custom Chassis MKII coming soon™
    Domaincheap
    i5 2500k | 8GB DDR3 | 120GB SSD + 1.5TB | HD7970 | Sabertooth P67 | 750W | 23"

Tokyo - An earthquake with a preliminary magnitude of 6.1 hit east of Tokyo on Wednesday but no tsunami warning was issued and there were no initial reports of damage or troubles at area nuclear plants, the Japan Meteorological Agency and local media said.

The earthquake, which caused substantial shaking in Ibaragi and Chiba prefectures east of Tokyo, followed just a few hours after a magnitude 6.8 quake jolted northern Japan.

A tsunami warning was issued but later lifted after the northern Japan earthquake.

Just over one year ago, the northeast coast was struck by a magnitude-9 earthquake, Japan's strongest on record, and a massive tsunami, triggering the world's worst nuclear crisis in 25 years.
    Source

Funny how nobody notices when natural disasters don't affect nuclear plants
    Solve two of the world's major problems: feed the homeless to the hungry

One thing. I do hope that our current guavamint has the foresight to make sure that the new nuclear plants are designed to desalinate sea water. Lets face it....it wont be long before we gonna need it.
    I don't pay taxes, I pay royalties
    Pieter Dirk Uys

Quote Originally Posted by Slootvreter View Post
    Oh no. More anti-nuclear fearmongering. Nuclear is the best way to generate electricity. What else would you prefer?
    Get all the unemployed yoof, and a vast array of treadmills...

@Sinbad :-))))))))))

I just wonder if it is such a great idea for SA to go nuclear, when a 1st world country with proven technical abilities, Germany, is moving away from it.....
    -------- e-tolling is a new tax, with added VAT! Don't support corruption, don't get an e-tag! and don't pay! -------

Quote Originally Posted by Bundu View Post
    @Sinbad :-))))))))))

I just wonder if it is such a great idea for SA to go nuclear, when a 1st world country with proven technical abilities, Germany, is moving away from it.....
    The Germans are moving away from it because the post-War deNazification and attendant war-guilt, relentlessly but silently exploited by 50 years of lefty and centre-lefty governments, and relentless anti-war-cum-anti-nuclear propaganda has slowly but inexorably morphed into a general anti-nuclear animus, driven by loopy green-enviro-loons.

One day they'll rue this crazy auto-aborting decision.

The French are quite happy with it.
    Last edited by Arthur; 17-03-2012 at 10:09 PM.

The Germans are moving away from it because the post-War deNazification and attendant war-guilt, relentlessly but silently exploited by 50 years of lefty and centre-lefty governments, and relentless anti-war-cum-anti-nuclear propaganda has slowly but inexorably morphed into a general anti-nuclear animus, driven by loopy green-enviro-loons.

yeah, I suppose time will tell - if you're wrong though, the results can be interesting though, with employment criteria not always competence in SA
    -------- e-tolling is a new tax, with added VAT! Don't support corruption, don't get an e-tag! and don't pay! -------

We have been producing nuclear power for around 60 years and there have been maybe 4 large incidents (Chernobyl, 3 Mile Island, Fukushima and I am sure someone will find one more) and a few small incidences. Of course these have unfortunately claimed human lives, but so have coal power station which have actually claimed more. So obviously there is a risk, however when it is running smoothly it produces no harmful emissions, which effects no one. Where as coal power constantly produces highly harmful gasses and soot which cause many issues to public health and safety, and that is when the plant is running smoothly.

Nuclear is the way to go. Pebble Bed would have been great if we didn't quit on it but normal types of nuclear power plants are still better than any coal plant.
    "The only things that are infinite are the universe and human stupidity, and im not sure about the former"
    Albert Einstein

Funny how none of the media mentions WHY the Germans are able to move away from nuclear - guess what, they're gonna be importing electricity from France to make up the shortfall that their stupid "alternative" methods can't cover. Guess what type of energy France uses - yes, Nuclear.
    So the Germans are NOT moving away from nuclear, they're just outsourcing it.
    It's all a political publicity stunt, basically. (The announcement was made in the middle of a difficult election period, you may recall).
    Quote Originally Posted by Balstrome
    ... Intercourse with cashews!
    Quote Originally Posted by Laserdick View Post
    I'm not an atheist.

How can you not believe in something that does not exist?

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234