Facebook   Twitter    YouTube    RSS Feed    Android App    iPhone and iPad App     BlackBerry App    
Subscribe to Newsletter

Thread: **PS3 - Optical Drives Not Working After 4.11 Firmware Upgrade**

Question **PS3 - Optical Drives Not Working After 4.11 Firmware Upgrade**

Upgraded my PS3 to Firmware Version 4.11 & now the optical drive doesn't read discs.

Based on what I can find on Google, I am not the only one, but besides sending the PS3 back to Sony, there are no fixes.

Has anyone else experienced this problem?!?

I thought of downgrading to an older firmware version, but not sure if this is going to be possible & what else might break!?!

The PS3 has been working 100% with no problems until I gave in & upgraded to 4.11.

Damnit, Bugger, Blast, $h1t!?!

No problems here, mine is upgraded and still woks fine. Maybe read up on hacking the PS3 to downgrade but I am afraid it's maybe just coincidental, thus a real failure after the upgrade.

The poster previously known as Qwikslver Chevron's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Zarathustra View Post
    Upgraded my PS3 to Firmware Version 4.11 & now the optical drive doesn't read discs.

Based on what I can find on Google, I am not the only one, but besides sending the PS3 back to Sony, there are no fixes.

Has anyone else experienced this problem?!?

I thought of downgrading to an older firmware version, but not sure if this is going to be possible & what else might break!?!

The PS3 has been working 100% with no problems until I gave in & upgraded to 4.11.

Damnit, Bugger, Blast, $h1t!?!
    Download Journey on PSN to play till a new firmware is released.

@Qwikslver - Thanks...I read your post too late & have already handed the PS3 in @ DefCon5 (http://www.defcon5.co.za/).

The guy said that 80% of the time when the blue light shows a disc has been inserted, but doesn't read anything, it is due to laser failure - Let's hope that it isn't anything too serious...

I have a different issue, not sure if its related: I can play games from PSN without problems, but as soon as I try to play a disc based game, the console switches off and I get a flashing red light. When I restart I get that warning about not shutting down properly and a hard drive check.

Did anyone else experience this?

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
    I have a different issue, not sure if its related: I can play games from PSN without problems, but as soon as I try to play a disc based game, the console switches off and I get a flashing red light. When I restart I get that warning about not shutting down properly and a hard drive check.

Did anyone else experience this?
    That is a serious issue. It will have to be looked @

@Zarathustra - My company is a competitor for Defcon 5 in Pretoria, so they're not the only option for video game console repair
    Video game consoles/iPhone/iPad | SA's first 360+PS3 Reballer

Quickflowit.co.za: Professional electronic service company

Quote Originally Posted by maestro_za View Post
    That is a serious issue. It will have to be looked @
    I'm taking it to consoles and gadgets for a repair quote tomorrow.
    If it costs almost the same amount as getting a new console I will probably just get a new console, to get more hard drive space as well. 80GB is not much when there are so many large games available on PSN, and so many disc based games that need to installed a few gigs each.

Quote Originally Posted by Mouse View Post
    I'm taking it to consoles and gadgets for a repair quote tomorrow.
    If it costs almost the same amount as getting a new console I will probably just get a new console, to get more hard drive space as well. 80GB is not much when there are so many large games available on PSN, and so many disc based games that need to installed a few gigs each.
    Let me know how it pans out (the repair quote). Good to keep tabs on competitor pricing!

Cheers

Quote Originally Posted by maestro_za View Post
    Let me know how it pans out (the repair quote). Good to keep tabs on competitor pricing!

Cheers
    I do not think everyone catch the drift that you do PS3/Xbox repairs. You should PM them offers or pay MyBB for a decent ad

Okay, so the problem was that laser on the Blu-Ray player died. It is just so bizarre that this happened just after the 4.11 firmware upgrade when everything was working up to the moment before the upgrade.

In addition, so many other posts on the Internet regarding the death of the Blu-Ray freaking laser beam just after a firmware upgrade.

@maestro_za please provide your company details so that I have the information for future reference.

Quote Originally Posted by Zarathustra View Post
    Okay, so the problem was that laser on the Blu-Ray player died. It is just so bizarre that this happened just after the 4.11 firmware upgrade when everything was working up to the moment before the upgrade.

In addition, so many other posts on the Internet regarding the death of the Blu-Ray freaking laser beam just after a firmware upgrade.

@maestro_za please provide your company details so that I have the information for future reference.
    Hi

Will send you a pm

Quote Originally Posted by wily me View Post
    I do not think everyone catch the drift that you do PS3/Xbox repairs. You should PM them offers or pay MyBB for a decent ad
    LOL

When I've directly PM'd members in the past it was seen as 'spam' so I tend to offer advice in threads and if they want to use my services they PM me.

In regards to consoles, we service all Playstations (2,3, PSP & Vita once spares are available); Xbox 360's (Phat & Slim); Nintendo (Wii, DS Lite, DSi XL & 3DS once the 1st yr warranty expires) and the odd iPhone.

I take your advice onboard though

I did the upgrade. Then a couple of weeks later the optical drive stopped working. I dont think the upgrade was at fault. Living in Ellisras with no place near to repair the drive makes it crap. Getting a new one. Can I swop my harddrives out to atleast keep my save games?

Weird eh? My PS3 (120gb slim) had the cheek to not display on my Dell 20 odd inch HD monitor this no0n. I've done the video bo0t and the PS3 Safe mode bo0t but still no picture on the monitor and this after I've nearly exhausted my budget at BT Games just yesterday. It doesn't seem to be the HDMI cable as I have alternated between two, nor is it the monitor because I can still HDMI out form my laptop. The system turns on but the controller can't seem to connect either, let alone charge through the USB cable. Can anyone please help me with this very frustrating issue or advise me on a repair shop near Kimberley please? I've heard that Incredible Connection to0 does electronic repairs. Do they fix Playstation as well?