Facebook   Twitter    YouTube    RSS Feed    Android App    iPhone and iPad App     BlackBerry App    
Subscribe to Newsletter

Thread: Need some advice on Iburst

Default Need some advice on Iburst

Hello all.

I need some advice regarding Iburst.

I am currently getting crappy download speeds.

1. I did the signal test thing - hops between 97 and 100% ( occasionally it will go down but thats very quick and will be on 100% again ).
    2. Did the MTU settings ( used both stated here and choose one that seemed faster ).
    3. Did Silversurfer ( 2MB modem ) Firmware upgrades
    4. Ran optimization tools

First speedtest i did was 0.21MBS and the last one ( after all of the above ) was for 0.4MBS.

Is this as good as it gets or is there something else i might be missing?

Let em know what your thoughts are.

Quote Originally Posted by Isch View Post
    I am currently getting crappy download speeds.
    Are you aware of this?
    NOTICE: International Internet connectivity issues since February 17

Quote Originally Posted by ginggs View Post
    Yes I am - sorry should have mentioned this. My problem started before that, its only recently that I have made all these attempts to actually improve it. Saw what speeds some of the other peeps on here are getting and got the fright of my life. Thought mine was on par but i surely isn't.

Should i maybe wait till they repair the line and then just check again?

Also needed to add getting 4% Frame error. Not sure if this is acceptable.

Quote Originally Posted by Isch View Post
    Should i maybe wait till they repair the line and then just check again?
    That will probably save you some frustration. According to the latest news the fault should be fixed by this coming Sunday.

Do you have an external antenna?

According to iBurst's coverage map, what coverage do you have (best, great, good, fair, poor)?

No External Antenna. Thought it would not be worth it since I have very good signal strength?

On Iburst coverage map it shows Fair\good. But my modem is also on the second floor ( in a window ) so has fairly clear line of sight to towers.

I wait a bit till repairs are made and then check again.
    I don't mind the lower speeds when downloading things like music or movies, but the slowest speeds happen when i am trying to patch games

There was another thread here where someone had issues with his/her 2Mbit modem, but with their 1Mbit modem the speeds were fine and full.

I have a 1Mbit modem and I get AMAZING speeds during the day and afterhours (Last night I was getting 120KB/s and then 11xKB/s and the occasional jump upto 13xKB/s).

During the day I can get around 100KB/s. I do not have an external antenna, I just put my USB modem on the window (im also on the 2nd floor) and then shove the mini USB antenna under the burglar bars and away I go.
    My international speeds were DEAD when the cable break originally started, then last weekend or the weekend before my speeds suddenly became awesome, better than before the cable break. I had changed nothing - I was actually away at my GF's place, came back and I was happy.

So it seems as if it may be a something affecting only those with 2Mbit modems.
    4Mbit ADSL
    Capped WebAfrica + VOX

I also have the 1MB modem from before I upgraded to the 2MB one. Maybe try that and see if there is any difference.
    Need to find it first though hehe.

Note sure what the point of this will be then, pay more for the 2MB and the standard 1MB device is faster?

Either way thank you for the advice. I will keep playing around and looking for suggestions on mybb and wait till the cable is repaired. After that i will start to officially complain

If you manage to find your 1Mbit modem please test it out and let us know.
    4Mbit ADSL
    Capped WebAfrica + VOX