Facebook   Twitter    YouTube    RSS Feed    Android App    iPhone and iPad App     BlackBerry App    
Subscribe to Newsletter



Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 123 4 LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 50

Thread: Praying at a Public School Gathering

  1. #31
    Psychonaut seven satanboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    the edge of the shroom
    Posts
    40,454

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sal12344 View Post
    Panorama Primary School. Started off with a Pastor leading a prayer which in itself damned me to "Hell" let alone the other people.
    Then the candidates for school governing body did a little a "elect me" song and dance. It turned into a beauty pageant fast but instead of everyone saying "World Peace" they shouted "Jesus Christ."

    The one guy that I confirm was elected to the board said that he is born again and Jesus told him to run! That was it! WTF?? I dont want people like this deciding on my child's SECULAR education!!
    WTF!?!

    I would remove my child from that school immediately.

  2. #32
    Super Grandmaster
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Snor City
    Posts
    5,101

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ponder View Post
    I envied the Jehovah kids, they missed all that crap and only came in after the bible reading & singsong crap was over.
    I always went with the Afrikanerjode, we got nice food as well..(there were like 3 of us). I also always skipped CSVS peridos in school and my old man being a non-believer himself always had my back if I bunked it. I must say I did enjoy kattets and marches though.

  3. #33
    Psychonaut seven satanboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    the edge of the shroom
    Posts
    40,454

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nicodeamus View Post
    I always went with the Afrikanerjode, we got nice food as well..(there were like 3 of us). I also always skipped CSVS peridos in school and my old man being a non-believer himself always had my back if I bunked it. I must say I did enjoy kattets and marches though.
    wtf?

    hisssssssssss

  4. #34

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sal12344 View Post
    The one guy that I confirm was elected to the board said that he is born again and Jesus told him to run! That was it! WTF?? I dont want people like this deciding on my child's SECULAR education!!
    Take your child out of that school. You will be saving them from a lot of trauma.

  5. #35

    Default

    I was at a school where I was forced to do bible studies because it was part of the curriculum which they did not discuss when I was enrolling at the school.

    I felt uncomfortable and did not understand why they pressured me when they knew I was of a different religion.

    I dabbled in Christianity later in my life but it was not based on what anyone else said or pressured me into doing.

  6. #36
    Super Grandmaster
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Snor City
    Posts
    5,101

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by satanboy View Post
    wtf?

    hisssssssssss
    Soek allereers die koningkryk van God, soek na die wil van die here.
    "ek het nie geweet ek moes vir iets soek nie"....

  7. #37

    Default

    Avoid that kooky school, jeeeeezzzzzz....
    ZTE Nubia Z5s Mini - CM11
    Q9400 @3.6 | 6GB Dominator | MIIF | GTX670 @1150/1700 | 120GB Vertex3 | LA32D550 | HX520

  8. #38
    Super Grandmaster
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Cambridge
    Posts
    13,692

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by murraybiscuit View Post
    so in some ways, it's a good lesson for them. we live in a world with a glut of gods. no matter where you go, you'll bump into one. and as tempting as counter-indoctrination may seem, ultimately, you need to plant seeds of understanding in your child, rather than an antithetical world view.
    what if, despite your best efforts, your kid embraces the very thing you hate? don't set them up to be a target of your rejection, and don't confine them to the choices which only please you.
    /granny lecture over.

    how you respond to the prevailing culture is difficult however, because you risk making your child choose between you and its peers. and we know where that generally ends up
    i'd select the school based on the quality of their education first and foremost. the rest you can teach them yourself. give them the confidence and understanding to fight their own battles. get involved if teachers cross over the line. that said, i don't see much point sending your kid to a school which places more emphasis on religious ritual than education.
    That's the thing, a school that pushes one religion is going to provide at the very least a bad and quite possibly hostile environment which my child must endure for years. And that means a bad education.

    And while it is true that children need to learn to deal with others and cope with different, contrary viewpoints, it doesn't mean it is necessarily a good thing to shove them into this negative environment at an early age.

    I have no problem with them being taught about religion in general. The mythology can be quite interesting and knowing that there are numerous beliefs, and that the believers all think theirs is true, provides a good grounding for not just falling for one because it's been rammed into your brain since birth.

    Quote Originally Posted by daveza View Post
    And there's the rub.
    So in fact praying at a school assembly is a contravention.

  9. #39
    Super Grandmaster
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Durbanville, Cape Town
    Posts
    22,017

    Default

    So in fact praying at a school assembly is a contravention.
    Only if they do not also offer muslim prayers, jewish prayers, rasta prayers, hindu prayers, buddhist prayers, - and also please the atheists by having no prayers at all.
    -
    Quote Originally Posted by lafrica View Post
    they (criminals ) are just trying to make a living .

  10. #40

    Default

    Technically it should be neither forced on kids note should it be banned in a public school. Also teachers shouldn't flaunt or promote their religion given their position of privilege in school.
    Democracy is the road to Socialism. Karl Marx

  11. #41
    Super Grandmaster
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Cambridge
    Posts
    13,692

    Default

    A local school has a prayer group that meets once a week. Attendance is voluntary. At some businesses employees organise prayer groups, which again is voluntary. In these cases it is a not arranged by the school or business and it does not take place during class or work time. I'd be opposed to banning such meetings. It should however be illegal for businesses and schools to arrange prayer meetings where attendance is required and they are intrinsically linked to the school/business.

  12. #42
    Ulysses Everett McGill OrbitalDawn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Location
    Aboard the Nostalgia For Infinity
    Posts
    17,161

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by noxibox View Post
    A local school has a prayer group that meets once a week. Attendance is voluntary. At some businesses employees organise prayer groups, which again is voluntary. In these cases it is a not arranged by the school or business and it does not take place during class or work time. I'd be opposed to banning such meetings. It should however be illegal for businesses and schools to arrange prayer meetings where attendance is required and they are intrinsically linked to the school/business.
    Agreed. However, a societal issue comes in when prayer groups take place at work or school. For example, a friend of mine declined to be a part of a prayer group at work and he was ostracized as a result. Nothing official obviously, but the work environment became a whole lot less pleasant.
    "If, after I depart this vale, you ever remember me and have thought to please my ghost, forgive some sinner and wink your eye at some homely girl."

  13. #43
    Super Grandmaster
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Cambridge
    Posts
    13,692

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by OrbitalDawn View Post
    Agreed. However, a societal issue comes in when prayer groups take place at work or school. For example, a friend of mine declined to be a part of a prayer group at work and he was ostracized as a result. Nothing official obviously, but the work environment became a whole lot less pleasant.
    That can happen. Though I'd be hesitant to call for an outright ban simply because some religious people are petty morons.

  14. #44
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    CT
    Posts
    2,595

    Default

    I was watching TBN last night and there is a guy on there that actually goes to schools and preaches the gospel in SA. Its his full time job!

    So maybe the school principle is allowed to invite religious speakers at his/her discretion?

  15. #45

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Apache View Post
    I was watching TBN last night and there is a guy on there that actually goes to schools and preaches the gospel in SA. Its his full time job!

    So maybe the school principle is allowed to invite religious speakers at his/her discretion?
    There are enough church based schools to keep him in work! No need to even bother with State schools.
    It may be that ministers really think that their prayers do good and it may be that frogs imagine that their croaking brings spring.
    -- Robert Green Ingersoll

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 123 4 LastLast

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •