Facebook   Twitter    YouTube    RSS Feed    Android App    iPhone and iPad App     BlackBerry App    
Subscribe to Newsletter

Page 1 of 4 1 234 LastLast

Thread: Praying at a Public School Gathering

Default Praying at a Public School Gathering

I wish to clarify if this is allowed or acceptable given that its a PUBLIC school and that at least a third of the people there do not subscribe to the "faith" that was being promoted.

I do not subscribe to any faith in particular as I find organised religion to be full of Dicks and the "leaders" would just be the Head "Dick."

The whole scenario was grating though making me question the LEGALITY of this.

As to legality in SA I have no idea. Probably better off asking a lawyer.
    Delta Motor Corporation of South Africa Opel Monza 160i GSi Car of the Year 1991
    Historical Significance

Super Grandmaster

What's the school? Name and shame!
    Every time you make a typo, the errorists win

Panorama Primary School. Started off with a Pastor leading a prayer which in itself damned me to "Hell" let alone the other people.
    Then the candidates for school governing body did a little a "elect me" song and dance. It turned into a beauty pageant fast but instead of everyone saying "World Peace" they shouted "Jesus Christ."

The one guy that I confirm was elected to the board said that he is born again and Jesus told him to run! That was it! WTF?? I dont want people like this deciding on my child's SECULAR education!!

Blog Entries

Sounds like you hate God, and just want to persecute Christians, frankly.

Shame on you.
    glorp

Quote Originally Posted by copacetic View Post

Shame on you.
    seems like it.

OP teach your child about those things as you would teach them children's stories. It will make them more familiar with them & you can remove the "greatness" with which other could possibly tell the stories.
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Librarian View Post
    Can see it in my mind's eye:Chilligirl's Compoota Factorie - Alle Compoota's Repaired Or Fixxited at Bargain Prices Notte to be Sneezed atte

Most schools have a code of conduct which normally includes religious beliefs etc. Did you read it?
    Neo-Luddite - Permanent Darwin award candidates
    Shaping Explained here
    Do you Oink! ?

Quote Originally Posted by Kosmik View Post
    Most schools have a code of conduct which normally includes religious beliefs etc. Did you read it?
    Private schools sure but public schools?

Quote Originally Posted by copacetic View Post

Shame on you.
    ROFL
    Delta Motor Corporation of South Africa Opel Monza 160i GSi Car of the Year 1991
    Historical Significance

Quote Originally Posted by Kosmik View Post
    Thats what I was about to say...

Simple choices. Move school, skip the gathering ask to be excused, stand oneside separate from the rest and do not partake. That simple.

From a site:

The starting point must, of course, be section 15(2) of the Constitution which states that ”religious observances may be conducted at state or state-aided institutions, provided that those observances follow rules made by the appropriate public authorities; they are conducted on an equitable basis; and attendance at them is free and voluntary”. This must be read with section 7 of the South African Schools Act which states that:

Subject to the Constitution and any applicable provincial law, religious observances may be conducted at a public school under rules issued by the governing body if such observances are conducted on an equitable basis and attendance at them by learners and members of staff is free and voluntary.
    But what does this actually mean? Our Constitutional Court’s jurisprudence on freedom of religion and conscience has been far from satisfactory, so the answer to this question is not as clear as it could have been.

The Court seems to have some difficulty with the interpretation and application of section 15 and then often reverts to the limitation clause to “solve” the problem. In one case – Christian Education - Justice Sachs even declined to make a finding on whether the ban on corporal punishment at Christian schools infringed the right to freedom of religion (spare the rod and spoil the child, and all that). He merely assumed that it did infringe on the right before deciding that even if it did, the ban would still be justifiable in terms of the limitation clause.
    http://constitutionallyspeaking.co.z...ublic-schools/
    Last edited by ChilliGirl; 15-03-2012 at 12:46 PM. Reason: add site link
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Librarian View Post
    Can see it in my mind's eye:Chilligirl's Compoota Factorie - Alle Compoota's Repaired Or Fixxited at Bargain Prices Notte to be Sneezed atte

Quote Originally Posted by porchrat View Post
    Of course. I've been to public schools all my life ( late 80's and 90's ). All had code of conducts and all actually had religous practices.
    Neo-Luddite - Permanent Darwin award candidates
    Shaping Explained here
    Do you Oink! ?

Quote Originally Posted by sal12344 View Post
    I wish to clarify if this is allowed or acceptable given that its a PUBLIC school and that at least a third of the people there do not subscribe to the "faith" that was being promoted.

I do not subscribe to any faith in particular as I find organised religion to be full of Dicks and the "leaders" would just be the Head "Dick."

The whole scenario was grating though making me question the LEGALITY of this.
    Of course it is legal, that is called freedom of religion and the constitution directly and specifically addresses this. This is not America, it is completely voluntary and if you don't like it then leave you do not have to attend it. And although freedom of religion means you can say whatever you like it also means tolerance, instead of saying everybody in religion are dicks and that their god is the Head dick, because ultimately that is the "leader". That line just goes to show your attitude and ignorance and frankly you should be ashamed of yourself. And yes I am also not a believer but it is people like you who give us a bad name.

Super Grandmaster

Quote Originally Posted by porchrat View Post
    Yes, plenty of them, sadly. When we were evaluating schools a number were immediately crossed off the list because of their obvious religious agenda.

Super Grandmaster

Quote Originally Posted by Logo View Post
    Of course it is legal, that is called freedom of religion and the constitution directly and specifically addresses this. This is not America, it is completely voluntary and if you don't like it then leave you do not have to attend it. And although freedom of religion means you can say whatever you like it also means tolerance, instead of saying everybody in religion are dicks and that their god is the Head dick, because ultimately that is the "leader". That line just goes to show your attitude and ignorance and frankly you should be ashamed of yourself. And yes I am also not a believer but it is people like you who give us a bad name.
    You know that's damn easy to say when you're not a small child.

Tolerance does not mean not insulting the religion or those that follow it.

Page 1 of 4 1 234 LastLast