Facebook   Twitter    YouTube    RSS Feed    Android App    iPhone and iPad App     BlackBerry App    
Subscribe to Newsletter

Thread: lens image stabilization

Default lens image stabilization

Hi guys,

I am looking for a telephoto lens for my canon slr... Currently all I have is the kit lens which I have exhausted now.

Price is a big factor for me - the cheaper the better Currently looking at a sigma 70-300 lens.

My question is what is the importance of image stabilization? I have noticed a big difference in price wrt lenses with IS and those without. The camera body has IS so does that play a factor in whether the lens should have IS or not?

Regards,
    M

Default Stabalized Lenses

Unless you plan on always using a Tri-pod or shooting in only the brightest of conditions, you will struggle to hold the camera stable when zoomed into the full 300mm. So effectively, you choose between saving some $$s now, or sharper photographs for the life of the lens...

Quote Originally Posted by TeleGuru View Post
    Unless you plan on always using a Tri-pod or shooting in only the brightest of conditions, you will struggle to hold the camera stable when zoomed into the full 300mm. So effectively, you choose between saving some $$s now, or sharper photographs for the life of the lens...
    Years ago a photographic magazine asked several pro photographers to shoot the same still-life pic using the same high-end 35mm SLR equipped with a standard 50mm lens @ 1/125.

They then shot the pic using a tripod.

Finally, the results were enlarged and compared.

It was scary to see how much sharper the results were for the photograph taken using the tripod.

So yes, IS is extremely important, i.e. is worth paying for.

I am unfamiliar with Canon, so can't comment on body vs lens stabilisation. The best bet would be to take your camera to the retailer and ask if you can take a few pictures with each of the lenses that you are considering.

The difference is about 3-4 stops, ie. you'll be able to get sharper images in lower light. (shooting from hand)
    I'm not aware of any Canon slr's with IS in the body, but I guess if it did have, like the Sony Alpha's, you wouldn't really need an IS lens.

I would go for the Canon 55-250mm IS, not bad given the price, and there are sure to be quite a few floating around in the 2nd hand market.

Thanks for the feedback. I have settled on the canon 55-250 IS I most often shoot hand held and having a zoom lens with crappy pics aint gonna cut it... Please shout out if you find any 2nd hand for sale!

Cheers

The 70-200 f/4 L is a fantastic lens. I've got it and the f/2.8 IS II L version and have to say I rarely use the IS. Same with my 300mm f/2.8 - in fact I can't recall the last time I pealed off the piece of tape covering the switch. Obviously it depends on what you're shooting. I shoot sport and keep my shutterspeed high enough to freeze the action so IS doesn't make a difference, at least not a positive one.
    "Le mieux est l'ennemi du bien." FM Arouet
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." Edmund Burke
    "Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience" Unknown
    Ron White was right

Way to throw a spanner in the works, bwana. Lol. I often shoot at high shutter speeds anyway due to my hands being very unnaturally shaky. Maybe the best bet is to actually test out these different lenses. On a side note, I did look at the 70-200 but unfortunately it is priced much higher.

Quote Originally Posted by mikaME View Post
    Way to throw a spanner in the works, bwana. Lol. I often shoot at high shutter speeds anyway due to my hands being very unnaturally shaky. Maybe the best bet is to actually test out these different lenses. On a side note, I did look at the 70-200 but unfortunately it is priced much higher.
    It is new but you'll generally find one or two in the classifieds and it's worth the extra even if you have to save a few more months.
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." Edmund Burke
    "Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience" Unknown
    Ron White was right

The camera body has IS
    What Canon body have you got?

And IS definately helps. Even using a tripod, monopod or resting the camera on a solid surface helps hugely when using longer zooms, even lenses without IS.

And the reason why IS lenses are more expensive is extra glass (in most cases), the motors to stabilise the lenses, electronics, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Bursty-dude View Post
    What Canon body have you got?
    good point. None of canons dslrs have in-body IS
    Ron White was right

I clicked my IS off by mistake and only realised when I got home and saw the photo's on a PC - not nearly as sharp as some other photo's taken on other nights in almost the same situations :/
    http://www.riverbed.com/

Jägermeiʃter can fix that!

My mistake guys - my canon body most certainly does NOT have IS.

Hi guys,

I am looking for a telephoto lens for my canon slr... Currently all I have is the kit lens which I have exhausted now.

Price is a big factor for me - the cheaper the better Currently looking at a sigma 70-300 lens.

My question is what is the importance of image stabilization? I have noticed a big difference in price wrt lenses with IS and those without. The camera body has IS so does that play a factor in whether the lens should have IS or not?

Regards,
    M
    I've got this lens and I'm very happy with it. I've used it on and off tripod but you'll have to decide whether you'll need IS or not.