Facebook   Twitter    YouTube    RSS Feed    Android App    iPhone and iPad App     BlackBerry App    
Subscribe to Newsletter

Thread: The misfortune of Eskomís tariff change

Default The misfortune of Eskomís tariff change

The misfortune of Eskomís tariff change

Economist questions whether Nersa did its job three years ago

Grandmaster

To be honest, Eskom were told may years ago to build a new power station to avoid this very problem, and that was about the same time the ANC took over.

So I don't see how this should be the consumers problem as ANC and Eskom made the stuff up, now we must pay?

The ANC and Eskom top management should not receive any revenue from this type of service as I see it Electricity is a basic need in the constitution and therefore should be run by a NPO.

But the ANC mindset is screw what other people say, lets suck it dry while we can and who care who suffers....
    Who cares?

SmoothOokerMaximus The_Librarian's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Eskom, Nersa, Sanral and !casa (amongst others) can go to the hot place for all I care.
    Christ-mass is NOT for Christians. Jeremiah 10.
    Is the 10 Commandments for Christians?

Saturday is the Seventh day, Sunday is the first day.

Thumbs down

Only 16% increase!!!

WOW I wish I could get a 16% salary increase.

The electricity increase is still too hight - should be 6% (CPI)
    9c/l fuel levy would pay off GFIP in 8 years
    Telkom ADSL "legal" contention ratio is 20:1

seems like the motto in SA is: Over promise/budget, under deliver...
    https://www.invoicesonline.co.za - Professional invoicing & recurring billing for South African entrepreneurs & professionals.

Quote Originally Posted by nelwa View Post
    seems like the motto in SA is: Over promise/budget, under deliver...
    Is it just me or others also find it wrong that Eskom applies for tariff increases to meet its expenses. But then ends up making profits to a point that staff can be paid out serious bonuses. I understand deserving stuff must be paid bonuses, but surely if there's a profit coming through then it should be accounted for by not increasing the tariffs?

Of course in a normal business, you would be wise to keep the profits or plough them back in for any rough times ahead. Or you pay off your loans a bit quicker which is sensible...

Quote Originally Posted by The_Librarian View Post
    Eskom, Nersa, Sanral and !casa (amongst others) can go to the hot place for all I care.
    Ditto!! They SUCK big time!!! And don't forget guavamint who pull the puppet strings!

It was said that they thumbsucked the increase figures at the time, this just proves is. Fsking scumbag blackmailers.

A government department actually doing its job?
    I think we might be expecting a bit much from them.

Super Grandmaster

Quote Originally Posted by Hummercellc View Post
    To be honest, Eskom were told may years ago to build a new power station to avoid this very problem, and that was about the same time the ANC took over.
    That's actually incorrect. From the 90's to about 2000 the gov wanted to bring in compdtition for Eskom and would not allow them to construct any power stations. Since the profit margin is as low as it is, no one "wanted that challenge". By this time eskom was already behind on their schedule for SA's growth and landed in this hot pot we know today.
    The problem with creating a utility company to build coal stations, as wss the instruction then, is that the initial capital required was a ridiculous expense and in the low profit margin leaves no space for competing for a lower price.

Last week I took a road trip from Paris to Brussels and from Brussels to Luxembourg... along the way, I seen approximately 10 wind farms. I don't see why we can't invest in these throughout South Africa.
    Sure, we can also harness the power of the sun, THIS IS AFRICA! the sun shines here 90% of the time!
    Stuff Eskom, someone should invest in other means of power and sell it back to Eskom!

Joziburg. Home Of Broadband Sloth Racing...
    Blog Entries

The major concern here is that most companies have now incorrectly budgeted and have already incorporated the increase into their price increases. What an absolute cock-up on Nersa and government's part as it is now too late to prevent the inflationary impact of their announcements. It's as if nobody understands the repercussions of their actions.

We must have one of the most disparately (barely) functioning governments in the world. Nobody and no department seems to understand its own importance in the greater scheme of things...
    Internet the way it was meant to be. Launch details will become Crystal Clear very soon...

Quote Originally Posted by moegoe View Post
    Last week I took a road trip from Paris to Brussels and from Brussels to Luxembourg... along the way, I seen approximately 10 wind farms. I don't see why we can't invest in these throughout South Africa.
    Sure, we can also harness the power of the sun, THIS IS AFRICA! the sun shines here 90% of the time!
    Stuff Eskom, someone should invest in other means of power and sell it back to Eskom!
    Yes, two problems 1. Red tape and sweetening of deals 2. Efficiency

There are plenty of solar suitable sites in South africa e g land unsuitable for farming. That also means people don't live there. Transmitting over these large distances takes a toll on efficiency. It does on coal power too. The problem is solar is not cost effective enough to afford those losses. But its one of those problems money can solve and unfortunately we don't have the policies to make it happen.

How often do we hear our leaders talk about the future apart from saying GFIP will create jobs? Which it might not.

16% is meaningless, because as the article states:

most goods and services have already incorporated the expected 25.9% electricity price increase into the price and they are unlikely to be reduced now
    So, Nersa failed the country, and the ANC damned it to higher inflation by demanding it's pound of flesh. The fact is though Karma doies exist, and it most likely will come in the form of people burning stuff in the streets because they can't afford bread. Basically exactly like Egypt.