Facebook   Twitter    YouTube    RSS Feed    Android App    iPhone and iPad App     BlackBerry App    
Subscribe to Newsletter

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: my.8ta.com - What were they thinking?!?

Please see the response to this thread from our Webmasters:

Response:

• The assumption that a simple stored procedure being used to retrieve data is incorrect.
    • We are in the process of integrating all new and existing applications into one portal. Some applications are old and will be phased out and replaced over time. We’ll investigate how we can fix the inconsistent display of the currently logged-in user.
    • Positive advances include: Our new on-network authentication functionality. The original poster had been notified of the availability of onnet.8ta.com and appeared to be satisfied. If an active 8ta SIM card is being used, then a username and password is not needed to access basic self-service information.

If there are any issues logging in - please send us the following via PM or email:

8ta Number:
    Contact Number:
    ID Number:
    ICCID Number (20 digit number starting with 8927...):
    Problem Experienced:

Regards,
    Social Media Team

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by 8ta View Post
    Please see the response to this thread from our Webmasters:

Response:

• The assumption that a simple stored procedure being used to retrieve data is incorrect.
    • We are in the process of integrating all new and existing applications into one portal. Some applications are old and will be phased out and replaced over time. We’ll investigate how we can fix the inconsistent display of the currently logged-in user.
    • Positive advances include: Our new on-network authentication functionality. The original poster had been notified of the availability of onnet.8ta.com and appeared to be satisfied. If an active 8ta SIM card is being used, then a username and password is not needed to access basic self-service information.

If there are any issues logging in - please send us the following via PM or email:

8ta Number:
    Contact Number:
    ID Number:
    ICCID Number (20 digit number starting with 8927...):
    Problem Experienced:

Regards,
    Social Media Team
    What about the Telkom website, TITracker, Topup Portal, View Online Bill, etc. All these are terribly inconsistent, and very user-unfriendly.

Hi Saajid!

We currently only deal with 8ta queries. Please formulate an email with your issues with these websites and we will gladly send it to the management of these sites and request them to respond to you.

Regards,
    Social Media Team

Quote Originally Posted by Saajid View Post
    What about the Telkom website, TITracker, Topup Portal, View Online Bill, etc. All these are terribly inconsistent, and very user-unfriendly.

Master

Quote Originally Posted by 8ta View Post
    Any reason why not? If the database is even semi-structured, retrieving all this information using a single SQL query should be relatively trivial... ? Something along the lines of:

SELECT bundleType, bundleExpiry, bundleAvailability FROM bundleTable WHERE bundleNumberID = 8taNumberID AND bundleExpiry > GETDATE() ORDER BY bundleExpiry

Seeing as how the 8taNumberID is stored when the user logs on, that'd eliminate the need for a string search for the users number.

The rest would simply be formatting it in the table client-side, and you're done.

So now, exactly why did the right column on https://home.8ta.com/onnet/public/mobileData take +- 9 seconds to populate, even after the page was loaded? Yes, the onnet site is easier to access - It still doesn't stop the multi-second delay. Seeing as how all the data from this very forum is also being pulled from a database, I don't see any "Loading..." bars / circles on this site, aside from the fractions of a second it takes for my browser to connect, and pull all the page data (Which is my side, not theirs) ... Do you?
    Last edited by Reelix; 27-03-2012 at 01:16 PM.

hold on, so what if they have a SOA-based architecture? that might necessitate webservice calls to a central data repository rather than silo's of persisted data right?

Master

Quote Originally Posted by thisguy View Post
    hold on, so what if they have a SOA-based architecture? that might necessitate webservice calls to a central data repository rather than silo's of persisted data right?
    You're sort of missing the point.

I think this video should help explain matters.

Watch Me! <---

Quote Originally Posted by Reelix View Post
    You're sort of missing the point.

I think this video should help explain matters.

Watch Me! <---
    Dude, do you really think Telkom/8ta's portal (or any large corporate's portal for that matter) is built with one SQL database?
    Yes, I get the speed issue, but I think your solution might be tad over-simplified and may be making some wrong assumptions on the architecture implemented.
    This isn't a Wordpress blog...
    Never pat a burning dog

I really doubt all that info is kept inside one database. A single sql query would be a great solution but I highly doubt this is plausible.

Master

Should we then simply assume that "Corporate" = Slow?

Oh - My Google searches are taking AGES!

Oh - The Facebook loading times are taking FOREVER!

Oh - GMail loads SO SLOWLY!

Oh - *Insert anything major here* is SO SLOW!

Do you see what I'm getting at?

well Google and fb have posted information on how their services/applications are architected/designed therefore few assumptions need to be made. I think the salient point is that the 8ta rep pointed out they're not using a simple stored proc / query to retrieve the data used on the particular page and therefore the point worth re-iterating is that your suggestion that the data is retrieved 'trivially' is over simplified.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12