Facebook   Twitter    YouTube    RSS Feed    Android App    iPhone and iPad App     BlackBerry App    
Subscribe to Newsletter

Thread: Weird Grub issue

Super Grandmaster

Default Weird Grub issue

So I got a new computer last month, but haven't had time to reinstall Linux on it.

Installed Kubuntu this morning off a flash drive, but after the install it simply boots into Windows again. I reinstalled it a few times, even onto another harddisk, but in no fashion can I get it to find Grub. Each of the attempts were successfully installed.

Disk layout:
    /sda
    1 Linux partition
    2 NTFS

/sdb
    1 Win7 boot partition
    2 Windows7
    3 Linux partition
    4 NTFS

I have tried this:
    Install Linux to /sdb3
    Install Grub to /sdb and /sdb1
    and
    Install Linux to /sda1 and Grub to /sda

In both cases I opted to boot from both drives but it still pops up at the Windows loader.

Any ideas? I can't remember ever having this issue.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rickster View Post
    Why is everyone going ape **** over this car, it looks like junk and the performance must be too.
    Quote Originally Posted by KSINGH View Post
    Oh no you didn't

Could you add Linux to the windows bootloader with easybcd and boot from there, or is Grub essential? I'm no expert.. My only foray into messing with boot loaders and such was a week ago, I built a hackintosh that triple boots OSX Lion, Win7 and Ubuntu..(3 partitions on a single drive) and in my case I'm using the Chimera boot loader to boot all 3.. though when selecting Ubuntu, it brings up grub, so I still need to make grub silent.

First I installed OSX on the first partition, then Win 7 on 2, and Ubuntu last on 3. The OSX install method I used installed chimera at first (in the mbr of the drive I think), then when I installed Win 7, it's boot loader took over. After I installed ubuntu, with grub on the linux partition, I still only got the windows loader (probably because it was installed to the mbr).. At first I wanted to use the windows boot loader to do everything, and I used Easybcd to add osx and ubuntu to it, and it worked fine.. I later learned about chameleon/chimera which are really graphically pretty boot loaders, and I just installed chimera to the mbr and that worked right away.

So when you install Grub to /sda shouldn't it be overwriting windows bootloader that's sitting there? I installed Chimera over the windows bootloader just fine. In the bios, are you definitely booting the correct drive first? Maybe disconnect one drive and work on just one so see what happens.

Need more info, is it a MBR, GPT or UEFI installation?

https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php...c_instructions
    http://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/GRUB2#BI...R_installation

I once had a issue where I had to leave a bit space before the start of the first partition. After that I just leave a few MB of space before the first partition out of habit these days.

Are you using Grub or Grub2?

If your MB has UEFI look at https://help.ubuntu.com/community/UEFIBooting
    entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem

Super Grandmaster

Well it's the Asus P67 Evo motherboard. It certainly sees my flash drive as a UEFI device...
    Not sure as to grub/grub2, haven't specifically checked. It's just Kubuntu 11.10.
    Why is everyone going ape **** over this car, it looks like junk and the performance must be too.
    Oh no you didn't

Quote Originally Posted by froot View Post
    Not sure as to grub/grub2, haven't specifically checked. It's just Kubuntu 11.10.
    Grub2
    entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem

Super Grandmaster

Quote Originally Posted by ponder View Post
    Grub2
    Don't laugh. Haven't had Linux on my machine in a while.

So... after an hour of sukkeling, I finally got it working.

Live-DVD-boot, installed restore-grub (20MB odd to download), followed the instructions on Ubuntu-forum's website (which included removing the current grub setup and reinstalling and configuring grub2) and Bob became my uncle.
    Oh no you didn't