Facebook   Twitter    YouTube    RSS Feed    Android App    iPhone and iPad App     BlackBerry App    
Subscribe to Newsletter

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 123 4 LastLast

Thread: New phone scam warning in South Africa

Quote Originally Posted by Fearl3$$ View Post
    This sounds like allot of fun.. Can I get a Phonecall like that..
    Me Too - I would love to look in the "event log" and "find" warnings about someone is trying to gain access to my pc, and string them along, acting dumb.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Librarian View Post
    said luser need a LART applied...
    Mmmm, new one to me, had to google it - http://www.bofh.net/man/lart.1m.html

Yep , I will definitely tell them I must apply a LART to the person trying to gain unauthorized access.
    Q: Where will I go after I die?
    A: Onto a backup tape.
    source

Quote Originally Posted by satanboy View Post
    anyone that falls for this deserves to be fleeced
    No, they don't. My father, who has been using a computer since about 1985, was recently called. Thing is, he is now 79, and approaching Alzheimers. They took him for about R4000 (I think). And he had lost his credit card previously, so my mom was not too worried. Until he toddled in and gave her HER card back!

Are you sure he deserved it?

So many elderly people are still trusting easily - just look at how many people lost their life savings investing in Krion scams!

Simple rule. If you didn't ask, ignore

Quote Originally Posted by DJ... View Post
    These sorts of comments are ridiculous. At what point does someone's naivety about a subject make them deserving of a scam? I'll guarantee you that your naivety about subjects relating to the financial market would make you an ideal candidate for a scam. Obviously you'd deserve to be fleeced to the hills, of course. By your logic?

What geeks like yourself forget is that what's common sense to you is subjective based on your experience. What's common sense to me is that there is a clear arbitrage opportunity in certain derivatives trades and this opens up the ability for me to bullschit the bejeezuz out of you with one simple phone call.

Stop being such a judgemental moron...
    can we get an Amen!?

Quote Originally Posted by Tatjanochka View Post
    How do ppl even fall for this stuff? really...
    Seriously not everyone is a geek. I know elderly people been hit by this.

G

These sorts of comments are ridiculous. At what point does someone's naivety about a subject make them deserving of a scam? I'll guarantee you that your naivety about subjects relating to the financial market would make you an ideal candidate for a scam. Obviously you'd deserve to be fleeced to the hills, of course. By your logic?

What geeks like yourself forget is that what's common sense to you is subjective based on your experience. What's common sense to me is that there is a clear arbitrage opportunity in certain derivatives trades and this opens up the ability for me to bullschit the bejeezuz out of you with one simple phone call.

Well said!!!

Super Grandmaster

They just called again.

Told them I'm running Linux (oi, I do).
    Quote Originally Posted by Rickster View Post
    Why is everyone going ape **** over this car, it looks like junk and the performance must be too.
    Quote Originally Posted by KSINGH View Post
    Oh no you didn't

Quote Originally Posted by froot View Post

They just called again.

Told them I'm running Linux (oi, I do).
    Phoned our landline today. My mom answered, saw me grinning from ear to ear (she knows about this scam as well) and handed me the phone. "Jessica" gave me the whole spiel up to where I have to right-click on My Computer. I then also told her that I use Linux (which I do, occasionally) and can't find My Computer. She proceeded to tell me that it's not a Linux problem, but a Windows one. I told her again that I don't use Windows, and that I know it's a scam.

She got agitated, I told her to f-off (twice, for good measure ) and she told me "Yes, you do that" and slammed the phone down.

Quote Originally Posted by Cloud View Post
    Me me, phone me!
    You need to post your numbers first
    You only get one chance to piss off a client. After that they are an ex client ...

I just love these personal attacks.

Blog Entries

So it was my turn to get a call from these scammers this morning. Indian sounding guy calling from "Virtual PC Security" tells me I have a virus. I strung him along for as long as I could. I asked him which of my 8 computers were infected, he said "the oldest one". I asked how he knew which one was the oldest. And then I asked him how come their software is better at Microsoft Security Essentials? He didn't have an answer for that. He showed me the same "error messages" on my PC that can be found on anybody's PC. At that point I told him that I knew that he was a scammer and a criminal. I said, "You are a bad person and you should feel bad!" Then his Chinese sounding lady boss got on the phone and asked me what evidence I had. I said "Google"! Then eventually hung up.

Super Grandmaster DrJohnZoidberg's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Garyvdh View Post
    So it was my turn to get a call from these scammers this morning. Indian sounding guy calling from "Virtual PC Security" tells me I have a virus. I strung him along for as long as I could. I asked him which of my 8 computers were infected, he said "the oldest one". I asked how he knew which one was the oldest. And then I asked him how come their software is better at Microsoft Security Essentials? He didn't have an answer for that. He showed me the same "error messages" on my PC that can be found on anybody's PC. At that point I told him that I knew that he was a scammer and a criminal. I said, "You are a bad person and you should feel bad!" Then his Chinese sounding lady boss got on the phone and asked me what evidence I had. I said "Google"! Then eventually hung up.
    Classic
    Praise Zeus!

Quote Originally Posted by satanboy View Post
    anyone that falls for this deserves to be fleeced
    +1

I know too many lazy (even young) people who find learning about computers to be an unnecessary waste of their time.
    Hopefully someday they will start learning the basics..

Also: post more stories
    I <3 Afrihost

This scam is still around.
    A customer called me as they were fooled by it for a while, followed their instructions to download Ammy admin remote control and they then showed her some of the "problems" with her machine.
    She hung up and pulled out the ethernet cable when they started asking for credit card details.
    I checked her pc, nothing else was installed while they had access, so she was lucky to get away relatively easily.
    Q: Where will I go after I die?
    A: Onto a backup tape.
    source

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 123 4 LastLast