Facebook   Twitter    YouTube    RSS Feed    Android App    iPhone and iPad App     BlackBerry App    
Subscribe to Newsletter

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Top ADSL ISP in South Africa: consumer survey

I'm surprised WA didn't do better - I've tried almost all the ISPs in that list, and by far they've been the better experience overall.

Grandmaster

Meh I'm happy! Well done to the tops!
    http://www.domaincheap.co.za
    Please signup to Dropbox with my referral! Greatly appreciated!

Grandmaster

Quote Originally Posted by Joker View Post
    I'm surprised WA didn't do better - I've tried almost all the ISPs in that list, and by far they've been the better experience overall.
    Agreed, but I can't help wondering whether it is not just a case that people expected far too much from a WA uncapped account, given their excellent history? Hoping it would be better than experiences elsewhere, just to find that uncapped simply is not uncapped, regardless of the ISP (excluding the unshaped expensive accounts).
    >>>>>> <<<<<<

why is cybersmart even on the list . . . lol
    [i7 920 D0 | Rampage II Extreme | 12GB Team Xtreem 2000MHz | 9TB | Odin GT 800w | GTX480 | Antec 1200 | T260 | KrK VXT6 | RME BabyFace |Snow Leopard]

Interesting observation:

Most people (not all) that are happy with WebAfrica's service, are from Cape Town. Proximity definitely seems to play a factor here.

Up here in PTA, we battle with SLOW speeds on a daily basis.

Quote Originally Posted by MFour View Post
    Agreed, but I can't help wondering whether it is not just a case that people expected far too much from a WA uncapped account, given their excellent history? Hoping it would be better than experiences elsewhere, just to find that uncapped simply is not uncapped, regardless of the ISP (excluding the unshaped expensive accounts).
    Quote Originally Posted by Joker View Post
    I feel the same way too... very surprised!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Roadrunner View Post
    Interesting observation:

Most people (not all) that are happy with WebAfrica's service, are from Cape Town. Proximity definitely seems to play a factor here.

Up here in PTA, we battle with SLOW speeds on a daily basis.
    I'm in JHB and have no problems with speed or latencies with WA. I have an MWEB account too and the latency on that is far worse.

As a person pointed out earlier in the thread, I think there are plenty of people out there that don't understand what aspects of their internet connection are controlled by the ISP itelf. I have been having issues with latency for the last couple of weeks but that is on both Mweb and WA and it's simply due to congestion on my exchange. There is nothing the ISP can do about it.

In terms of the survey, the sample size per ISP is too small to make any real conclusions!

Quote Originally Posted by buyeye View Post
    Twice as many people voted excellent service from mweb than any other ISP'S . I'm sure Telkom has a large user base but it seems they weren't bothered to vote.
    It would actually be nice to know the subscriber figures of Telkom uncapped (broken down to speed option) to compare to MWEB. I wonder how many people subscribed to the Telkom uncapped option.

Quote Originally Posted by iCare View Post
    interesting poll. No surprises on the top end of the 'best ISP'. I would have guessed Afrihost would have taken the topspot
    From personal experience - as in direct testing on the same line - MWEB tended to be better than Afrihost uncapped. But I think between these two it will change here and there as their subscriber base changes and they add more backhaul to accommodate this.

For all those lost on why WA featured so badly - would you be happy when your uncapped keeps getting throttled due to hitting daily/weekly limits?
    Attention City of Joburg and its employees, you do not have permission to view this webpage, you will be charged for your malicious hacking crimes

Quote Originally Posted by Pooky View Post
    It's amazing how Mweb managed to turn their company image around.
    I have made this statement in one form or another over the last year and a half (or however long MWEB has been running uncapped for). I was first in line to criticize MWEB for their overpriced, draconian ways. With trepidation I signed up for uncapped as soon as it was available and I have not looked back since then. MWEB beat all my previous ISPs by far by being the most professional and not making empty promises. And actually employing network technicians that know WTF they are doing (Sentech, Cybersmart and Openweb I am looking at you).

As always, keep up the good work MWEB!

Thanks everyone, for taking the time to vote and for the positive comments.

It really means a lot to us to know that we are getting things right and providing you with the level of service that you deserve

We won't be resting on our laurels (or on anything else for that matter) from here and will continue to try and up our game at every opportunity.

Kind Regards
    Will
    MWEB Operations Technical Manager - Please Direct your general support queries to MWEB Guy

OpenWeb - they have the tendency to make you feel like their only customer. Other south African ISP can learn a thing about customer service from them

Quote Originally Posted by Roadrunner View Post
    Mtunzini is close to Durban. Why don't we get the speeds we expect? Seacom?

I think Openweb is the best, judging from my experience with them.

I wish they had ADSL Lines managed by them, like the MWEB all inclusive plan (ACC + DSL Line).

Quote Originally Posted by Hades View Post
    I'm in JHB and have no problems with speed or latencies with WA. I have an MWEB account too and the latency on that is far worse.

As a person pointed out earlier in the thread, I think there are plenty of people out there that don't understand what aspects of their internet connection are controlled by the ISP itelf. I have been having issues with latency for the last couple of weeks but that is on both Mweb and WA and it's simply due to congestion on my exchange. There is nothing the ISP can do about it.
    If you checked out the link in my post, you would have seen there are no line issues or exchange congestion when connecting to the backup account that runs on the IS network.

Question Major KZN ISP ?

Quote Originally Posted by dabbler View Post
    Mtunzini is close to Durban. Why don't we get the speeds we expect? Seacom?
    Check your traceroutes

It all goes to Cape Town or JHBG

Far as I now there is no ISP routing directly via Mtunzini to International -- there is no major ISP in KZN

The national terrestrial network is the hurdle that slows things down.
    The Telkom copper last mile that is always being stolen slows things done further
    The congested Telkom exchanges and oversubscribed DSLAM's add to the misery

One wonders why there is no KZN ISP close to Mtunzini / EMPANGENI / DURBAN ?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12