Facebook   Twitter    YouTube    RSS Feed    Android App    iPhone and iPad App     BlackBerry App    
Subscribe to Newsletter

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Achieving the desire to act on the goals you want to achieve?

Default Achieving the desire to act on the goals you want to achieve?

I was reading up on achieving goals and how to go about it. i do have several goals i have wanted to achieve for the longest time, but never actually acted on them or set on the path towards my goals. Then i read this:

The starting point of all achievement is desire. Keep this constantly in mind. Weak desires bring weak results, just as a small amount of fire makes a small amount of heat." So, your first step in goal setting and achieving your dreams is that you've got to really, really want to achieve the goal.
    It goes on to how to achieve your goals, but never really touches on the subject of cultivating the desire to get up off my ass and actually do/work towards them.

Even though my goals have been there for a very long time, and im sure i want to achieve them (having had a long long time to think about what i wanted), i lack the desire to actually DO (or start/finish) them.

HOW. has anyone been in the same kind of mindset im in right now? How do i get myself to act and see through on my goals if i have a desire to, well, do nothing. There is nothing at the moment that i have going on that is stopping me from doing what i want. Yet i spend most of my time on whatever and never get to that point of taking the first step?

Sleep is my only "desire" at the moment i think. That and watching movies or series. meh. any advice? trolls welcome

http://xkcd.com/1027/
    Where you are right now is comfortable. If you never take any risks you will always be average.

Achieving goals....don't make so hard on yourself, neh?

@ OP:
    Start with small steps and small targets easily achievable. As they are accomplished get used to the pleasure and satisfaction of reaching their goals. Tackle another and soon you will find that profoundly more satisfying than your current comfort zone. Then tackle more enduring tasks until it becomes like second nature.

That said, welcome to the club, I am not a patch what I used to be and as such I should practice what I preach.

PS: Don't wait for "it" to happen, it wont! MAKE IT HAPPEN! Only you can do it.

Quote Originally Posted by AcidRaZor View Post

Sleep is my only "desire" at the moment i think. That and watching movies or series. meh. any advice? trolls welcome
    This sounds like me at the moment. No motivation to do anything

My life would be so much better if only I wanted stuff more. Or is it, I would be a much better person if I wanted stuff more? Or is it, I'm dissatisfied because I don't want stuff enough? .

My suggestion would be to be happy with what you've got. I read about a study that shows that happy people achieve more the other day.

Quote Originally Posted by RustyPrincess View Post
    That is my problem as well, I get away with doing the minimum and atm I have no drive what so ever
    [CENTER]Bebamos y divirtámonos que mañana moriremos.
    Melior morior bellator, quam ago profugus.
    Nemo saltat sobrius.

Quote Originally Posted by Devill View Post
    That is my problem as well, I get away with doing the minimum and atm I have no drive what so ever
    Do you think doing more will make you happier? If so why?
    A little rudeness and disrespect can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day.

-Calvin

Quote Originally Posted by Nick333 View Post
    Do you think doing more will make you happier? If so why?
    Yes I think it will. I do not like "what ifs" and if I do not give it my all then I will never know how "high" I could have climbed.

Also I would like to retire at some stage and although I am living a nice enough life I would like to offer my future wife something more than "nice".
    Nemo saltat sobrius.

Do you exercise? Too much sleep can sometimes mean you want to sleep more . I'm not a doctor though.

Several years ago my TV broke. After about a week a realized that I'd missed Survivor and the world hadn't ended. I almost never watch TV anymore and often get asked how I get so much stuff done. Work, Studies, Sport. TV wastes so much time.

Re your original question: Getting the desire to act on stuff.... : Just start. Push yourself to start something. Don't be too hard on yourself if it doesn't work out the first time you try.

Quote Originally Posted by Waaib View Post
    Do you exercise? Too much sleep can sometimes mean you want to sleep more . I'm not a doctor though.

Several years ago my TV broke. After about a week a realized that I'd missed Survivor and the world hadn't ended. I almost never watch TV anymore and often get asked how I get so much stuff done. Work, Studies, Sport. TV wastes so much time.

Re your original question: Getting the desire to act on stuff.... : Just start. Push yourself to start something. Don't be too hard on yourself if it doesn't work out the first time you try.
    +1. I started working out again (swimming and some weights) and I have a set study plan for the next month as I realise that without making a plan I will not get out of this "useless" cycle.
    Nemo saltat sobrius.

Quote Originally Posted by Devill View Post
    Yes I think it will. I do not like "what ifs" and if I do not give it my all then I will never know how "high" I could have climbed.

Also I would like to retire at some stage and although I am living a nice enough life I would like to offer my future wife something more than "nice".
    /shrugs I'm not convinced. The worlds full of achievers with crap marriages and drinking problems who still feel dissatisfied.

Also, when you think about it, success these days pretty much equates to using more energy resources and creating wars and pollution.

And quite frankly I have no motivation to supply others with the trappings of success when I'm far from convinced that they contribute to happiness.

To be honest I'm hardly ever motivated to do more than the minimum. And while in the past that's led to depression because I've seen it as a flaw these days I'm fairly happy doing the minimum required to survive because frankly I don't see my purpose in life as being an achiever but rather as just being happy.

Each to their own though.
    A little rudeness and disrespect can elevate a meaningless interaction to a battle of wills and add drama to an otherwise dull day.

-Calvin

Quote Originally Posted by Nick333 View Post
    /shrugs I'm not convinced. The worlds full of achievers with crap marriages and drinking problems who still feel dissatisfied.

Also, when you think about it, success these days pretty much equates to using more energy resources and creating wars and pollution.

And quite frankly I have no motivation to supply others with the trappings of success when I'm far from convinced that they contribute to happiness.

To be honest I'm hardly ever motivated to do more than the minimum. And while in the past that's led to depression because I've seen it as a flaw these days I'm fairly happy doing the minimum required to survive because frankly I don't see my purpose in life as being an achiever but rather as just being happy.

Each to their own though.
    I can see how you can feel / think that. I on the other hand want to travel the world in my 50s and I don't think at the rate I am going I will be able to do that as I want it.
    Nemo saltat sobrius.

MyBB Legend

I was reading up on achieving goals and how to go about it. i do have several goals i have wanted to achieve for the longest time, but never actually acted on them or set on the path towards my goals. Then i read this:

It goes on to how to achieve your goals, but never really touches on the subject of cultivating the desire to get up off my ass and actually do/work towards them.

Even though my goals have been there for a very long time, and im sure i want to achieve them (having had a long long time to think about what i wanted), i lack the desire to actually DO (or start/finish) them.

HOW. has anyone been in the same kind of mindset im in right now? How do i get myself to act and see through on my goals if i have a desire to, well, do nothing. There is nothing at the moment that i have going on that is stopping me from doing what i want. Yet i spend most of my time on whatever and never get to that point of taking the first step?

You sound just like me.
    If you wanna get laid, ask an Ancient Astronaut theorist. They always say yes.

Quote Originally Posted by RustyPrincess View Post
    +1

I get frustrated with myself for not being able to get the motivation to do certain things. Perhaps I should try Nick333's strategy.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast