This is the biggest gripe I have with the Gautrain.
There are only three bus routes from the Centurion station servicing Rooihuiskraal, Weirda Park and Highveld Techno Park.
The closest bus stop is near Highveld Techno Park which is 11.8km from my house. That's a long way to walk ...
The only suburbs East of the N1 in Pretoria serviced by the Gautrain buses are Menlyn and Lynnrodene.
The Gautrain is only for people who live and work close to the stations.
Agreed - they really should be adding more bus routes and modifying existing ones
If you live next to a station and your work is near a station then yes.
However I live 15km from the Centurion station:
- R500 for a tank of fuel to get to and from the station per month
- R220 for parking at the station per month
- R857 per month for a golden pass to Midrand station
- R6 for a Gautrain bus from Midrand station to work
- R6 for a Gautrain bus from work to Midrand station
Total cost using Gautrain: R1841 per month
Current cost using my car (including wear and tear) : R1300 (R1100 for fuel) Total savings using car: R541 per month
Total time to work using car + Gautrain + buses: 1.5 hours one way
Total time using car to work: 35 minutes one way Total time saving using a car: 1.8 hours per day or nearly 40 hours per month!