Facebook   Twitter    YouTube    RSS Feed    Android App    iPhone and iPad App     BlackBerry App    
Subscribe to Newsletter

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Gautrain gets new timetable

Default Gautrain gets new timetable

Gautrain services will run on a new timetable by the end of the week, the Bombela Concession company said on Tuesday.

"The new timetable is designed to provide more peak-time train capacity during weekdays and more time to change between the north-south line and the east-west line at Marlboro station," spokeswoman Kelebogile Machaka said in a statement.

The timetable would come into effect on Thursday.

Machaka said Gautrain had implemented several "service enhancements" after receiving feedback from commuters.

These included airport trains direct from Marlboro, a simplified fare structure, reduced parking fees and discounted fares for regular users.

It had also set up a security hotline, an sms service for updates and an application for smart phones.

That sounds good but I'm not sure if consecutive trains packed into <12m intervals is such a good idea until Bombela has sorted out their train (taxi?) drivers, specifically the drunken Rosebank-bound train driver that significantly overshot the Centurion station platform a few days ago and came to a stop well beyond the platform.
    ATTENTION: Bloody dishonourable SCAMRAL agent and clones

Trying to bait me into replying to your troll posts is not going to work.

What about running later when there's an event at loftus? Last train at 2030 is a bit ridiculous.

Quote Originally Posted by rpm View Post
    ... a simplified fare structure, reduced parking fees and discounted fares for regular users.
    Now we're talking business!
    It may actually become cheaper to use the train than my vehicle if the parking fees are reduced and the fares drop a bit.
    Having to pay R220 per month to park my car at a station makes the Gautrain uncompetitive.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul_S View Post
    It may actually become cheaper to use the train than my vehicle if the parking fees are reduced and the fares drop a bit.
    Having to pay R220 per month to park my car at a station makes the Gautrain uncompetitive.
    I fear that reduced parking fee they're talking about is already the R10 a day one.

Need a 5:00 train to the airport !
    Need later rides for events !
    "What can be asserted without proof can be dismissed without proof." ~ Christopher Hitchens

My idea of "Help from above" is a sniper on a roof.

I have just been to the ever irritating http://join.gautrain.co.za/ site to look at the new North/South timetables, only to discover that there is no difference as far as I can tell (still 12 minutes apart and times for the morning and afternoon trains I take are still the same).

Where are these mythical new timetables?
    ATTENTION: Bloody dishonourable SCAMRAL agent and clones

Trying to bait me into replying to your troll posts is not going to work.

Quote Originally Posted by j4ck455 View Post
    I have just been to the ever irritating http://join.gautrain.co.za/ site to look at the new North/South timetables, only to discover that there is no difference as far as I can tell (still 12 minutes apart and times for the morning and afternoon trains I take are still the same).

Where are these mythical new timetables?
    I think the schedule is exactly the same. Only looks like there are more 8 cart trains.
    Engineering - this is where the semi-skilled workers realize the work of better minds. Hello, Oompah-Loompahs of science.

Quote Originally Posted by j4ck455 View Post
    That sounds good but I'm not sure if consecutive trains packed into <12m intervals is such a good idea until Bombela has sorted out their train (taxi?) drivers, specifically the drunken Rosebank-bound train driver that significantly overshot the Centurion station platform a few days ago and came to a stop well beyond the platform.

Doubt it, its still cheaper to use the gautrain every day than travel in a car.

Quote Originally Posted by Griz View Post
    Depends on the distance you travel

Quote Originally Posted by Griz View Post
    If you live next to a station and your work is near a station then yes.

However I live 15km from the Centurion station:
    - R500 for a tank of fuel to get to and from the station per month
    - R220 for parking at the station per month
    - R857 per month for a golden pass to Midrand station
    - R6 for a Gautrain bus from Midrand station to work
    - R6 for a Gautrain bus from work to Midrand station

Total cost using Gautrain: R1841 per month
    Current cost using my car (including wear and tear) : R1300 (R1100 for fuel)
    Total savings using car: R541 per month

Total time to work using car + Gautrain + buses: 1.5 hours one way
    Total time using car to work: 35 minutes one way
    Total time saving using a car: 1.8 hours per day or nearly 40 hours per month!

Toll fees may just close that gap for you Viva e-Toll!

Is there no bus route around where you live. ? You can half the R500 spent on petrol by using the bus instead.

Quote Originally Posted by JungleBoy View Post
    Is there no bus route around where you live. ? You can half the R500 spent on petrol by using the bus instead.
    This is the biggest gripe I have with the Gautrain.
    There are only three bus routes from the Centurion station servicing Rooihuiskraal, Weirda Park and Highveld Techno Park.
    The closest bus stop is near Highveld Techno Park which is 11.8km from my house. That's a long way to walk ...

The only suburbs East of the N1 in Pretoria serviced by the Gautrain buses are Menlyn and Lynnrodene.
    The Gautrain is only for people who live and work close to the stations.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast