Facebook   Twitter    YouTube    RSS Feed    Android App    iPhone and iPad App     BlackBerry App    
Subscribe to Newsletter



Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12 3456 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 88

Thread: If Adam and Eve were the first people on earth...

  1. #16
    Grandmaster
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    The land of Sobriety
    Posts
    3,432

    Default

    Haha but seriously, how is creationism even taken seriously?
    - Insert Signature Here -

  2. #17
    Super Grandmaster DigitalSoldier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    South Africa.
    Posts
    10,091

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Hoxbig View Post
    Yahweh created a Powerpoint presentation.
    And so God Inc created the first Powerpoint and man improved it

  3. #18
    Super Grandmaster
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Snor City
    Posts
    5,136

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by DigitalSoldier View Post
    And so God Inc created the first Powerpoint and man improved it
    No God gave us Powerpoint, man only discovered it 6000 years later (using the 'correct' time line here).

  4. #19

    Default

    One of the kids got married, to who? Wife must have come from powerpoint too.

    Sent from my BlackBerry

  5. #20
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    CT
    Posts
    2,595

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Simpy View Post
    Did they have belly buttons?
    Does it really matter? They did not of course because they were not born like we were. They were created.

  6. #21
    King of the Hippies copacetic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Fighting my homunculus
    Posts
    50,075
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Apache View Post
    Does it really matter? They did not of course because they were not born like we were. They were created.
    Do you know when they were created?
    Behind every dark cloud lies the sun, waiting to boil you alive.
    *girds loins*

  7. #22
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    CT
    Posts
    2,595

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by copacetic View Post
    Do you know when they were created?
    no.

  8. #23
    King of the Hippies copacetic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Fighting my homunculus
    Posts
    50,075
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Apache View Post
    no.
    Why not?

    If you take the story literally, then why would you not also take literally, the amount of generations that have passed since they came about?
    Behind every dark cloud lies the sun, waiting to boil you alive.
    *girds loins*

  9. #24
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    CT
    Posts
    2,595

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by copacetic View Post
    Why not?

    If you take the story literally, then why would you not also take literally, the amount of generations that have passed since they came about?
    Very hard to tell when they were created. Do you know?

  10. #25

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by StonerStuart View Post
    Haha but seriously, how is creationism even taken seriously?
    1. Adam and Eve may not have been two beings, but representing a time where the human species was developed. For example, eating the fruit maybe meant that humans at that point gained a critical point of intelligence. It was the tree of knowledge.

    2. I don't take 7 days to create the world literally, it's to illustrate a point and maybe each point in time of the earth's evolution.

    3. Out of all mammals, which was the first actual mammal to have a belly button anyway? At some point one didn't have it, and another did. So it's not as simple as it sounds. What was the first instance of a primate? If it was the first instance, what was it's mother?

    So ja, my 2c.
    Telecom Expense Management software to help your company analyse cell phone voice and data usage. Go to www.visibill.co.za for more information.

  11. #26
    King of the Hippies copacetic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Fighting my homunculus
    Posts
    50,075
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Apache View Post
    Very hard to tell when they were created. Do you know?
    The Curse would have been fairly soon after the creation of Adam and Eve on Day 6 because it didn’t take long for them to sin (see When Did Adam and Eve Rebel?). We can do a basic calculation to arrive at the date of creation and Adam’s creation. The Curse must have been close to the same time. So, let’s calculate the date of creation.

    Adam was created on Day 6, so there were 5 days before him. If we add up the dates from Adam to Abraham, we get about 2,000 years, using the Masoretic Hebrew text (which is the standard Hebrew text that most English translations are based on) of Genesis 5 and 11. 1 Whether Christian or secular, most scholars would agree that Abraham lived about 2,000 B.C. (4,000 years ago).

    So, a simple calculation is:

    5 days
    + ~2000 years
    + ~4000 years
    _____________
    ~6000 years

    At this point, the first five days are negligible. Quite a few people have done this calculation using the Masoretic text and, with careful attention to the biblical details, arrived at the same time frame of about 6,000 years, or about 4,000 B.C. Two of the most popular, and perhaps the best, are a recent work by Dr. Floyd Jones and a much earlier book by Archbishop James Ussher (1581–1656):
    http://www.answersingenesis.org/arti...when-was-curse

    What I am getting at is; If you literally interpret the bible with regards to Adam and Eve, then surely it follows to literally interpret the generations that passed from them until Abraham, and from there to Jesus, giving a specific number.

    Or is the bible incorrect?
    Behind every dark cloud lies the sun, waiting to boil you alive.
    *girds loins*

  12. #27
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    CT
    Posts
    2,595

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Shred View Post
    1. Adam and Eve may not have been two beings, but representing a time where the human species was developed. For example, eating the fruit maybe meant that humans at that point gained a critical point of intelligence. It was the tree of knowledge.

    2. I don't take 7 days to create the world literally, it's to illustrate a point and maybe each point in time of the earth's evolution.

    3. Out of all mammals, which was the first actual mammal to have a belly button anyway? At some point one didn't have it, and another did. So it's not as simple as it sounds. What was the first instance of a primate? If it was the first instance, what was it's mother?

    So ja, my 2c.
    The second one .

    But seriously you have raised good points. I don't think Adam and Eve had belly buttons but their children did.

  13. #28
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    CT
    Posts
    2,595

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by copacetic View Post
    http://www.answersingenesis.org/arti...when-was-curse

    What I am getting at is; If you literally interpret the bible with regards to Adam and Eve, then surely it follows to literally interpret the generations that passed from them until Abraham, and from there to Jesus, giving a specific number.

    Or is the bible incorrect?
    TBH I have not looked into this 6000 years thing at all. So I will have to do my own research some time.

  14. #29
    King of the Hippies copacetic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Fighting my homunculus
    Posts
    50,075
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Apache View Post
    TBH I have not looked into this 6000 years thing at all. So I will have to do my own research some time.
    I consider the question dodged then, until further notice.

    I'm not holding my breath, but hope to be pleasantly surprised by a future rumination and response from you.
    Behind every dark cloud lies the sun, waiting to boil you alive.
    *girds loins*

  15. #30

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The Voice View Post
    They didn't actually exist, so does it even matter?
    Blasphemy! Go away with your Atheist & White Tendancies!
    Without a winking smiley or other blatant display of humor, it is impossible to create a parody of Fundamentalism that SOMEONE won't mistake for the real thing.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 12 3456 LastLast

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •